BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #23
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Thanks guys! I've played with all the setting, driving styles, outdoor temperatures, etc. There is no doubt that range varies a great deal based on those factors. Ive since seen as hight as 88 miles and 146 miles when pushing every aspect of range extension.

Bottom line is, where I live and the way I use the car, I get around 85 miles of electric and 60 miles on generator, which is about 20% better than what I saw from my last generation i3 after 2 years of driving.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #24
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

The driving efficiency is VERY important with range. You mention above you have no idea what your consumption is. If you really want to figure out if you have a problem or if your just not driving efficiently than you need to do a little record keeping.

Go to the trip data in iDrive and rest it every time you recharge. Look at the consumption value (mi/kWh) and record it. Do that for a week or two. You'll see the times you have a lower consumption rate (a higher value in miles per kWh) your range was better.

You need to average 3.6mi/kWh or higher to get 100 miles per charge on a 2017 REx. I know people that average 4.5 mi/kWh with theirs and they can get about 125 miles per charge.

Also, you mention that you use A/C in the summer so the range will be the same as using the heater in the winter. That's not correct. The A/C uses much less power than the cabin heater does. Plus, the battery is warmer in the summer and that makes it more efficient so the range will improve then also.

Don't forget to reset the trip computer every day and see what your consumption is. My guess is it's in the low 3's if your reporting that much less than 100 miles per charge now.