Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

The Right Mattress

I don't know about you, but over the years I've noticed that when my body fat gets low, and my muscle mass gets higher, I am much more sensitive to my mattress. I am an Ectomorph naturally, so with shoulders broader than my waist, and being a side sleeper, the pillow and the mattress have to both support all my pressure points and neck, or else I wake up feeling like I've tossed and turned too much trying to find comfort.

I've also noticed that when seasons change, the mattress seems to be more noticeable, particularly in the hot summers. I assume this is because it's harder to sleep in general when it's hotter out.

Anyway, we are in the market, my wife and I, we have tried Beautyrest, Purple (i liked, she didnt), Helix (dual customization style) and a plush pillowtop back when they were the rage (the non-flip kind). Many years ago I had a waterbed that had about 15-20 water tubes, that was very comfortable.

As a serious weight lifter - what mattress works best for you and at what price point? Cali King is the size we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Honestly....I haven't found a mattress yet that is comfortable for me. I wake up with limbs numb, etc. From slightly over 225lbs to down in the 180's.....bodyfat from 12% all the way down to nearly 5%.....it made no difference.

It's a price to pay for carrying excess muscle.
      04-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

We are looking on the hotel mattress websites, seems like whenever we stay at the Ritz or certain Hilton's we are more comfortable. I wonder what that's about. A more durable or newer mattress perhaps?

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
We are looking on the hotel mattress websites, seems like whenever we stay at the Ritz or certain Hilton's we are more comfortable. I wonder what that's about. A more durable or newer mattress perhaps?
Probably newer as they change them out frequently I would hope.

We've had expensive ones.....but last year we bought a Saatva that is considered medium of the line I think. Got their standard which runs a little firm, and put a topper on my wife's side to soften it.

It sleeps as good as any of the others..

Unfortunately like I said, I think it comes with the territory. I have to sleep on my back....or I will wake up with one side of my body numb.

If I were you, I would see if you could switch to sleeping on your back. I found out a long time ago that worked best. I would put pillows on either side of me preventing me from rolling onto my side.

Later it became second nature.

Maybe see how that works for you.

I mean I'm not Pro bodybuilder size, but I'm usually 200lbs at around 10% at 5'7".

So I carry around a bit more than most people that don't exercise.
      04-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
switch to sleeping on your back. I found out a long time ago that worked best.
It is considered the healthiest sleeping position. It just takes some proper/good condition. It's easier to sleep on the side.

At a glance:
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I always sleep on my back now because it's the only way I'm comfortable - but I prefer to fall asleep on my side - using 3 pillows for support.

Anyway reached my breaking point today and rush ordered a Westin Heavenly without trying it first. Fingers crossed it lives up to its name.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I always sleep on my back now because it's the only way I'm comfortable
Broad shoulders make it hard to keep your spine straight on the side. And the head falls too low if without a pillow.

Quote:
I prefer to fall asleep on my side - using 3 pillows for support.
I have to turn to the side when I fail to fall asleep on the back - I'm struggling with a severe posture/back/neck issue. I also suspect I might snore when on the back. Regarding extra pillows, for the one beneath the knees when on the back (to release the lower part of it) suggested an alternative is bending legs and spreading knees, if needed.

Regarding mattress a soft one would be a killer for me. I can't even seat on a soft couch for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #8
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Broad shoulders make it hard to keep your spine straight on the side. And the head falls too low if without a pillow.

I have to turn to the side when I fail to fall asleep on the back - I'm struggling with a severe posture/back/neck issue. I also suspect I might snore when on the back. Regarding extra pillows, for the one beneath the knees when on the back (to release the lower part of it) suggested an alternative is bending legs and spreading knees, if needed.

Regarding mattress a soft one would be a killer for me. I can't even seat on a soft couch for a long time.
Same here...I sleep on my back with a pillow beneath my knees as those lower back muscles can play havoc if you are in the wrong position.

Also have the bed at a slight incline.

But I have to have a firmer mattress as well.
      04-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Same here...I sleep on my back with a pillow beneath my knees as those lower back muscles can play havoc if you are in the wrong position.
Part of my back/neck disaster appears to be overdeveloping the back against the abdomen (I want my back as wide as Bruce Lee had but have got the health issue he had as well ). It looks like (and they say so ) there should be some proper balance between the back and the abdominals which relieve the back/spine from strain. That is, simply "decent" abdominals may be not enough yet. I focus on my lower abdominals to release the lower back and there's quite an improvement, although quite a way to go still. (And returning to the Bruce Lee picture, the narrow waist apparently adds to the wide back look. )
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Definitely. Most people train abs directly, but don't directly train lower back.

Core imbalance is a big issue I've seen in people through the years.
      04-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I have an iComfort as my main mattress at my main house and I absolutely love it. Had it a few years now. I am not body builder, but I am very tapered and always had broader shoulders. I am a semi-side sleeper as I snore if I sleep on my back and wake myself up. I am on my side with a smaller pillow under my chest I lean over on.

When I travel for a week or 2 at a time, I always love that first night back home on my bed.

I have a weekend house that I uses occasionally. Not wanting to drop $3K on a mattress I sleep on 15-20 times a year - I tried one of those Nectars you can have shipped right to your door. for $725 it is not that bad at all. A little firmer than mine at home, but pretty decent. Had many people who used the house ask me what mattress was in there.

I'd buy them both again for the use I got them for.
      04-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #12
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Westin Heavenly arrives in the morning - I'll review it after first night, first week and then month.

I love deadlifts for lower back, now, but it took hurting myself to learn how to do them safely. My goal this yr after turning 40 in Feb was 300 bench, 500 squat, 500 dead, but with covid-19 that goal is on hold.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-19-2020, 08:01 AM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Westin Heavenly arrives in the morning - I'll review it after first night, first week and then month.

I love deadlifts for lower back, now, but it took hurting myself to learn how to do them safely. My goal this yr after turning 40 in Feb was 300 bench, 500 squat, 500 dead, but with covid-19 that goal is on hold.
I do a Wendler hybrid program. Deadlifts one training day, rack pulls the next. Rack pulls let you really focus on the top part of the movement.

I'm already strong in the lower part of the movement, and rack pulls let me break through sticking points.

But until the gym opens....all I can do is try to maintain.
      04-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
advrider6510
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3, Ford Mustang

Amerisleep AS3 – Most Supportive
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #15
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What a difference - instead of moving around 15 - 20 times at night - I might have moved 3-4. Which I feel is normal - just getting comfortable here and there/changing positions.
This mattress I believe will help me recover from the gym better by getting prolonged deeper sleep. I am already feeling a massive boost in cognition and woke up with zero stiffness.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      04-20-2020, 01:30 AM   #16
haan9953
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 750 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by advrider6510 View Post
Amerisleep AS3 – Most Supportive
True Story
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #17
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Amerisleep = The 100% foam mattresses sleep to warm for me - in Florida - they can be brutal in the summer especially.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #18
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

the classification of the three major somatypes that most people have come to know (Ectomorph, Endomorph, Mesomorph) has been widely discredited; they don't matter as much as other factors.

Beds feel too soft for me. I've transitioned to sleeping on Asian style floormats on the floor for at least several days out of the week. seems to do my back good.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #19
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
the classification of the three major somatypes that most people have come to know (Ectomorph, Endomorph, Mesomorph) has been widely discredited; they don't matter as much as other factors.

Beds feel too soft for me. I've transitioned to sleeping on Asian style floormats on the floor for at least several days out of the week. seems to do my back good.
Quote:

In terms of describing my body shape on a bodybuilding section of a message board it seemed to make sense

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #20
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I was talking to my friend Drake and ended up with the same mattress as him. His may be a bit more comfortable as it is smaller. I have to crawl a little too much to get to the center of mine. Hastens mattress
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #21
senhhKneenoRob
Registered
Rep
Drives: Man

бСспроводныС ΠΌΠΈΠΊΡ€ΠΎΡ„ΠΎΠ½ с ΠΏΡ€ΠΈΠ΅ΠΌΠ½ΠΈΠΊΠΎΠΌ

ΠΊΠ°ΠΊ Π²ΠΊΠ»ΡŽΡ‡ΠΈΡ‚ΡŒ ΠΌΠΈΠΊΡ€ΠΎΡ„ΠΎΠ½
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaH..._YA3HKgXRXEEhQ

студийный ΠΌΠΈΠΊΡ€ΠΎΡ„ΠΎΠ½ для записи

ΠΌΠΈΠΊΡ€ΠΎΡ„ΠΎΠ½ Ρ€Π°Π΄ΠΈΠΎ
ΠΊΠ°ΠΊ Π½Π°ΡΡ‚Ρ€ΠΎΠΈΡ‚ΡŒ ΠΌΠΈΠΊΡ€ΠΎΡ„ΠΎΠ½ Π½Π° Π½ΠΎΡƒΡ‚Π±ΡƒΠΊΠ΅
радиосистСма

<a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSvi_1yZIc></a>

#PRSysenhh2gMX
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:03 AM   #22
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. I've transitioned to sleeping on Asian style floormats on the floor for at least several days out of the week. seems to do my back good.

Interesting!

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0