Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-29-2021, 11:40 AM   #67
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

When I was younger, I used to think that people with mental health issues should just suck it up, tough it out, get over it, quit whining, act normal, grow up, accept responsibility, etc. I really didn't have much empathy.

Then one day not so long ago, I had a mental health episode. I was driving to a meeting and had an anxiety attack. I was fully prepared for the meeting and I had no expectation that it would go anything but great. But, my mind took over my body and I literally hung a U-turn and drove back home, called and cancelled the meeting. After years of slaying dragons in business, I was reduced to a mess with no control over the situation.

I'm fine now but that incident made me appreciate and have more empathy for for those who struggle. Sometimes just toughing it out, stepping up, etc, just isn't possible. In no way can I compare myself to Simone Biles. She is one in 7 billion and I am just another regular guy, but I'm pretty certain that if I can have a mental incident, its possible for anyone, including Ms. Biles.

If you've experienced a moment like mine, you fully understand. If you have not, its hard to imagine how your mind can take over your body. I hope you never have to experience it first hand.
Appreciate 5
Littlebear3508.50
TiMSport12786.50
ky0u1067.00
      07-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #68
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Racing View Post
Hadn't heard about it, but after some light reading it seems like they're pretty openly skirting the rules. It'd be like a university getting banned from the NCAA tournament showing up as a "community college"
Exactly! It's such a mockery of the Olympic games and unfair to those that did everything the right way but couldn't compete due to limited entries.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #69
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
When I was younger, I used to think that people with mental health issues should just suck it up, tough it out, get over it, quit whining, act normal, grow up, accept responsibility, etc. I really didn't have much empathy.

Then one day not so long ago, I had a mental health episode. I was driving to a meeting and had an anxiety attack. I was fully prepared for the meeting and I had no expectation that it would go anything but great. But, my mind took over my body and I literally hung a U-turn and drove back home, called and cancelled the meeting. After years of slaying dragons in business, I was reduced to a mess with no control over the situation.

I'm fine now but that incident made me appreciate and have more empathy for for those who struggle. Sometimes just toughing it out, stepping up, etc, just isn't possible. In no way can I compare myself to Simone Biles. She is one in 7 billion and I am just another regular guy, but I'm pretty certain that if I can have a mental incident, its possible for anyone, including Ms. Biles.

If you've experienced a moment like mine, you fully understand. If you have not, its hard to imagine how your mind can take over your body. I hope you never have to experience it first hand.
Thanks for sharing that. Yes, just imagine someone that is in the global spotlight with expectations of perfection and anything less being considered a failure.

Many athletes have conditioned themselves to endure stuff that many humans cannot. There comes a breaking point and there's no way of knowing what triggers it. Perhaps years of pressure kept within like a pressure cooker. Throw in the stuff about sexual abuse, etc. it's just hard to imagine dealing with all of that.

Support Biles or not, at least she was a good teammate and cheered her team on enthusiastically.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11113.50
      07-29-2021, 12:27 PM   #70
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
I've been keeping up with the Olympics, it's fun to watch some of these sports which aren't really shown on tv such as fencing, archery, water polo, track, cycling, swimming etc etc… I do enjoy it.

As far as Simone Biles pulling out due to her mental health, that was unfortunate since it did cost the US a Gold (and maybe more), and we won't be seeing her in the individuals either. It's hard to put "pulled out" and "GOAT" in the same sentence because the greats look forward to the challenge and that's when they really step up. For Simone, well not so much.

Only she knows what's going on, but it's just unfortunate this happened now since this is most likely her last Olympics since next one she would be 28 and I believe that is out of the age range you see for most competing gymnasts.
this is really the only gripe i have about it. If MJ or Brady pulled out of a Finals Game 7 or SB because they were off, people would blast them and there would be a legitimate argument that they arent the GOAT because of it. Athletes, as well as everyone, get into their heads and perform poorly. Its how they overcome that that makes them the greatest of all time.

But its the times we are in where you cant criticize anyone for saying they struggled cause of "mental health". Look at all the shit some of the NBA analysts got for saying Simmons wasnt mentally tough in the playoffs this year.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 01:53 PM   #71
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Quote:
I've been keeping up with the Olympics, it's fun to watch some of these sports which aren't really shown on tv such as fencing, archery, water polo, track, cycling, swimming etc etc… I do enjoy it.

As far as Simone Biles pulling out due to her mental health, that was unfortunate since it did cost the US a Gold (and maybe more), and we won't be seeing her in the individuals either. It's hard to put "pulled out" and "GOAT" in the same sentence because the greats look forward to the challenge and that's when they really step up. For Simone, well not so much.

Only she knows what's going on, but it's just unfortunate this happened now since this is most likely her last Olympics since next one she would be 28 and I believe that is out of the age range you see for most competing gymnasts.
this is really the only gripe i have about it. If MJ or Brady pulled out of a Finals Game 7 or SB because they were off, people would blast them and there would be a legitimate argument that they arent the GOAT because of it. Athletes, as well as everyone, get into their heads and perform poorly. Its how they overcome that that makes them the greatest of all time.

But its the times we are in where you cant criticize anyone for saying they struggled cause of "mental health". Look at all the shit some of the NBA analysts got for saying Simmons wasnt mentally tough in the playoffs this year.
I'm sure they worried about being "cancelled" so they make sure they go with the flow and follow the heard. The world as we know is definitely changing, and whether it be for good or worse is something that is it's own discussion not related to the Olympics.

I'm totally fine with her bailing out due to mental health, that is not a problem and it's good to see her making it acceptable, but to claim her as a "hero" for doing that, which some outlets are saying, is a bit of a stretch… this type of attitude is not "goat" mentality. If you all remembers MJ played his infamous "flu game" and THAT right there is a fine example of what the greats do.
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2021, 02:21 PM   #72
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

The ONLY argument I'd made against the MJ anecdote is that he was not endangering his life or putting himself in a situation that would lead to a permanent injury. I'm just not going to compare basketball to gymnastics.
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #73
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
The ONLY argument I'd made against the MJ anecdote is that he was not endangering his life or putting himself in a situation that would lead to a permanent injury. I'm just not going to compare basketball to gymnastics.
I agree, but it was an example I just recalled. And we really don't know what extent her mental health is in, so we probably shouldn't even be having this convo here I'd say since none of us know lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #74
premier3is
Major
Rep

Anyone watching the women's 100m today? The track events are coming up soon I think most are next week?
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      07-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #75
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I agree, but it was an example I just recalled. And we really don't know what extent her mental health is in, so we probably shouldn't even be having this convo here I'd say since none of us know lol.
That was my original point. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #76
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That was my original point. Lol.
Yep, resorting right back to your point because I started commenting on it too lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #77
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Anyone watching the women's 100m today? The track events are coming up soon I think most are next week?
No, I wasn't aware but I will now. Honestly speaking, I've watched stuff that I would never watch only because of the fact we have very few opportunities to watch some of these sporting events. I've even caught myself watching badminton and table tennis.

I mean there are people out there that dedicate their lives to this stuff. It's surprisingly interesting to see some of these events. I still don't understand the f'n rules for handball.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      07-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #78
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, I wasn't aware but I will now. Honestly speaking, I've watched stuff that I would never watch only because of the fact we have very few opportunities to watch some of these sporting events. I've even caught myself watching badminton and table tennis.

I mean there are people out there that dedicate their lives to this stuff. It's surprisingly interesting to see some of these events. I still don't understand the f'n rules for handball.
Same boat as you. We never get to see most of these sports on tv so I try to tune in since it's only once every 4 years for 2 weeks lol. Learn something new about a lot of these sports every time I watch.

They also got sailing today which I've never seen in competition so I'll try to tune in to see how it is. Probly will be boring to watch though lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #79
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I see no trouble using goat and pull out in same sentence
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      07-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #80
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Same boat as you. We never get to see most of these sports on tv so I try to tune in since it's only once every 4 years for 2 weeks lol. Learn something new about a lot of these sports every time I watch.

They also got sailing today which I've never seen in competition so I'll try to tune in to see how it is. Probly will be boring to watch though lol.
I think it's cool they've introduced new events like surfing and skateboarding.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #81
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Don't want any baby goats?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #82
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
LOL. I see what you did there
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #83
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
we all know you dont pull out with goats

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #84
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

=
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      07-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #85
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Waaaaay off topic but I couldn't help but remember Mr. Garrison's "kid".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #86
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
I think it's cool they've introduced new events like surfing and skateboarding.
I hope they don't try to throw out wrestling again!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #87
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Honestly I don't understand why they keep messing with women's softball. I feel bad for the US women's team, or actually any of the teams that can't look forward to playing in the Olympics every 4 years like most sports. Admittedly it's not the most exciting sport to watch, but just doesn't seem right.

Softball folks must not be greasing the palms of the corrupt IOC.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:09 PM   #88
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I don't understand why they keep messing with women's softball. I feel bad for the US women's team, or actually any of the teams that can't look forward to playing in the Olympics every 4 years like most sports. Admittedly it's not the most exciting sport to watch, but just doesn't seem right.

Softball folks must not be greasing the palms of the corrupt IOC.
What happened?
Appreciate 0