BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

08-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #67
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
This is getting out of hand, prayers do nothing, stop wasting breath saying that and actually do something ffs. Is there any state with a mental health check requirement before you can acquire a weapon? That would be a first step at least.
There's a whole continent across the pond with a similar 1st world society that doesn't have these problems (at least not on the level that the USA has) and have a different attitude against gun posession and especially gun carriage.
Just saying
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 2
      08-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #68
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Doesn't matter the political affiliations with these loonies, a nutter is a nutter whether of the red or blue variety. Ohio shooter appears to be a Dem:

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/breaki...dem-primaries/

But of course, the bomb throwers like that AOC lunatic are out spouting about "white supremacy" today and the reason we need to ban guns.
Appreciate 1
DrmKlr206.50

08-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #69
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
There's a whole continent across the pond with a similar 1st world society that doesn't have these problems (at least not on the level that the USA has) and have a different attitude against gun posession and especially gun carriage.
Just saying
No, but they have some serious problems with truck attacks, knife attacks, and acid attacks. They also have some pretty serious governmental restrictions on free speech, and that's only getting worse.

In the link, the top 113 causes of death for 2017 in the US are listed. Assault (homicide) by discharge of firearms is listed as 107. In other words, there are 106 other ways to die that are ahead of homicide by firearm, some of them far, far so. This 107th position includes all homicides by firearm, the vast majority of which are crimes other than mass shootings.

While any death is tragic, there are plenty of other things to concentrate on if we wish to reduce death int he United States. Additionally, reducing access to firearms has plenty of other consequences, including an increase in other means of homicide (as evidenced by the UK, with their knife and acid attacks), and also happens to be in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution. Said Amendment is meant to be a limit on the powers of the government, and a check on the powers of an increasingly dictatorial government. I'm happy with the 2nd Amendment, and firmly believe that restricting it will result in much more serious consequences than the (possible) benefit might be worth.

And as the NRA line goes, I vote. I don't particularly like the NRA, but I will continue to vote, and hopefully convince others to vote, for politicians who at the minimum pay lip service to the 2nd Amendment, and will never vote for a politician who vows to ban firearms, as the entire current crop of democrat candidates does.
MKSixer14538.50
domino_z940.50
arkie6317.50

08-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #70
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
No, but they have some serious problems with truck attacks, knife attacks, and acid attacks. They also have some pretty serious governmental restrictions on free speech, and that's only getting worse.

In the link, the top 113 causes of death for 2017 in the US are listed. Assault (homicide) by discharge of firearms is listed as 107. In other words, there are 106 other ways to die that are ahead of homicide by firearm, some of them far, far so. This 107th position includes all homicides by firearm, the vast majority of which are crimes other than mass shootings.

While any death is tragic, there are plenty of other things to concentrate on if we wish to reduce death int he United States. Additionally, reducing access to firearms has plenty of other consequences, including an increase in other means of homicide (as evidenced by the UK, with their knife and acid attacks), and also happens to be in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution. Said Amendment is meant to be a limit on the powers of the government, and a check on the powers of an increasingly dictatorial government. I'm happy with the 2nd Amendment, and firmly believe that restricting it will result in much more serious consequences than the (possible) benefit might be worth.

And as the NRA line goes, I vote. I don't particularly like the NRA, but I will continue to vote, and hopefully convince others to vote, for politicians who at the minimum pay lip service to the 2nd Amendment, and will never vote for a politician who vows to ban firearms, as the entire current crop of democrat candidates does.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #71
XutvJet
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Us level-headed individuals are not in support of gun bans, but there needs to be more done regarding gun control.

It took the Ohio shooter less than 1 minute to kill 9 and injure over 20 before someone grabbed the gun barrel and police shot him. Less than a minute. I'm sure El Paso as a similar scenario. This is amount of quick mass death by a gun is nothing new. Vegas was the same way. Most were killed within the first minute.

I'm in support of bullet control. A gun is worthless without them and it would be far easier to control in an effort to keep them out of murderers, terrorists, and crazy peoples hands.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #72
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Anyone can make bullets poor idea.
Appreciate 3
DonaldPump5816.00
MKSixer14538.50

08-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #73
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
https://apnews.com/df6dc60f37664833ba3b953927ef835d
The first sentence of the online rant posted on the 8chan message board expressed support for the man accused of killing 51 people at two New Zealand mosques in March after posting a 74-page document promoting a white supremacist conspiracy theory called "the great replacement." That theory, promoted by French writer Renaud Camus, argues there is a plot by elites to replace whites with non-white immigrants in Europe and around the world.
      08-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #74
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Big fan of Neil deGrasse Tyson, for many reasons, including this recent tweet:

Of course, the media is roasting him saying he's callous and such. The same media exploiting the recent mass shootings for calls for more gun bans. Hypocrites, much?
Attached Images

Delta03117194.50
vreihen16607.50
MKSixer14538.50
glennQNYC5409.50

08-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #75
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Doesn't matter the political affiliations with these loonies, a nutter is a nutter whether of the red or blue variety. Ohio shooter appears to be a Dem:

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/breaki...dem-primaries/

But of course, the bomb throwers like that AOC lunatic are out spouting about "white supremacy" today and the reason we need to ban guns.
Satanist as well.

I’m sure the media will label him a Christian trump supporter regardless.
Attached Images

Hebrews 4:12
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #76
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

disturbing facts about the murderer.
https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/connor-betts/
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #77
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
disturbing facts about the murderer.
From that aritcile:

Quote:
The El Paso shooter had a social media presence that indicated support for President Donald Trump and anti immigrant measures. Connor Betts’ Twitter page is very different; he indicates he’s a “leftist” and rails against QAnon, ICE, the industrial revolution, and police.
Insanity knows no political bounds and is not biased to either side.
vtown56.00

08-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #78
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Anybody have the stats on alcohol-related auto crashes per day against mass shootings?

If people are itching to repeal an amendment, I suggest that the 21st Amendment be their target for the betterment of society.....
      08-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #79
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ins...hooting-2019-8

“Where’s the good guy with a gun?”, well clearly right here helping children.
Hebrews 4:12
Appreciate 1
pikkagtr2223.50

08-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #80
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
A tragedy. Period. May the innocent RIP.

Not wanting to score points from this, but....

"No doubt"? Is that privilege (without there being any reported evidence) reserved for those who aren't Muslim, black, Hispanic, [...fill in the blanks yourselves....]?

I agree with the sentiments, but coming from yourself, sheer hypocrisy. If you take offence, you might wish to review some of your historical posts.
I stand by all my posts......and what I said here. I don't think the identity politics is a good thing. I have strong opinions but don't do the name calling. If you want to debate, I'm happy too.
Appreciate 2
lakefront183.50
pikkagtr2223.50

08-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #81
schoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Under federal law you cannot purchase a firearm or posses one if you meet those two items.

I work for a DoD contractor and we have armed, uniformed personnel. No one works for us in an armed capacity unless the OKed by a psychiatrist via a MMPI II. People are disqualified regularly because of that.

Agree with all of that!
18 USC 922(d) makes it unlawful to sell to someone who has been in a mental institution. I am not aware of any federal law prohibiting someone who has been in a mental institution from possessing a firearm. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

On the other hand, each state has different laws regarding the mentally ill from possessing firearms.

Obama did enact regulations which would have allowed the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (which is used for gun sales) to access Social Security Administration data to determine if a potential purchaser had a mental health issue. Those regulations were repealed by Trump.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #82
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I'm not saying europe doesn't have other problems, but the problems here at hand, where people start mass shootings all over the country/continent, is not as big as an issue in Europe.
Also its very stupid and also pointless to try and resoning a problem away by pointing to other, non related problems. Only children do that as a means to forget about the problem at hand.
And the truck attack you are referring to is a terrorist attack. That is not the discussed problem at hand here, or should I remember you to a certain date in 2001?
Also I have to see the first knife attack where 1 or 2 people kill dozens of persons in a brief moment in public, so I have no idea what kind of unrelated point you're trying to make.

And I'm sure that the 'governmental restriction on free speech' is just as non existent where I live (NL) as where you live.

Also your link and reasoning that being murdered by a gun is 'only' on the 107th place of causes of deaths in that list and that therefore there are 106 ways that require more attention is completely inhumane.
In that list are all causes of death listed. As if dying from a cardiovascular disease at old age because you live unhealty is just as bad as being murdered in a mass shooting.
Seriously what are you thinking?!?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-04-2019 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:20 PM   #83
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Obama did enact regulations which would have allowed the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (which is used for gun sales) to access Social Security Administration data to determine if a potential purchaser had a mental health issue. Those regulations were repealed by Trump.
That rule never went into effect, and was opposed by groups ranging from the NRA, ACLU, and various disability advocate groups. It considered dangerous people who simply used representative payees to manage their finances. Keeping potentially dangerous things away from dangerous people is a noble cause, but that rule was not the way.
glennQNYC5409.50
Delta03117194.50
vreihen16607.50
arkie6317.50

08-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #84
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

let's see how quickly one of the shootings falls out of the news now that they have a profile on the shooter:

Appreciate 1
DonaldPump5816.00

08-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #85
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm in support of bullet control. A gun is worthless without them and it would be far easier to control in an effort to keep them out of murderers, terrorists, and crazy peoples hands.
OH my God..please say you are on a crack pipe when you said this. There are 270 million
guns in the U.S. and uncountable billions of bullets.

What in your world would be required to buy a bullet?????????????????????

I am sitting on pins and needles waiting.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #86
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
let's see how quickly one of the shootings falls out of the news now that they have a profile on the shooter:

The hypocrisy is nauseating. The only steady principle is "attack President Trump."
      08-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #87
Chihuahua
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

There you have it. Absolute sociopath that went ignored by 'the system'. It's time to attack this problem at the source.

That is your root problem everyone.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast3355.00

08-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #88
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Notice we haven't heard a single press report or politician refer to any of these recent murderers as a "lone wolf." Instead we're told quite the opposite; where these attackers are part of a racist ideology that is widespread. Contrast that with attacks by people outright profess loyalty to Islamic radicalism. I've actually seen news reports where asses claim entire groups of ISIS supporters are lone wolves. 🤦🏻*♂️ The bias really is disgusting.