BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' SMB M3CS

Dealer Experience Advice

I normally don’t post on forums about these things, but sometimes we need advice. I purchased my mom a new Jetta at the beginning of the year from a local dealership. Things quickly went south. First, I was asking to sign that I would finance with VW financial which was fine because that was my plan. I asked the sales person if I would get the promotional rate (1.9%) to which he said as long as I qualified - which I did. But, here’s the problem. I get into finance and told that because I got a discount on the car, which I did, I wouldn’t qualify for the 1.9% but rather the standard APR. Obviously I felt that this was a “bait and switch” tactic. I could be wrong. Next, issue was when I got home, I realized I was charged a Destination Fee twice. Once in the MSRP of the vehicle, and secondly, as an individual line item on the deal sheet. I didn’t notice it was already in the MSRP (my fault). I’ve asked the dealer to refund this over charge only to be told they would only do half. Am I being unreasonable and what are my legal options at this point? Again, just seeking advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

My advice is buy a mirror and take a hard look at yourself

Should have never signed with them once the interest rate changed.
Appreciate 7
qba335i389.50
Run Silent15127.00
GKay28.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I’m not a lawyer and not familiar with Florida rules but I’d bet you had only a few days to unwind the deal, if any, so it is now too late to do anything. But get a lawyer to confirm that (your paperwork should have a paragraph on your right of recission if FL does have that, so maybe save the lawyer fee and read the contract).

I’d guess that the discount they offered wasn’t the result of your negotiating skills but was a VW rebate, which probably said “cannot be combined with any other offer” including their low financing rate, which probably has the same language. Too late now to verify that, I’d bet, but check the VW website to see if maybe those offers are still there. Next time, do that before you go in and get some screen shots so you have a record. If I’m right, the dealer didn’t give you a dealership discount but did apply the factory discount, and also tried to gouge you on the destination charge. In my way of thinking, they took you because you weren’t well prepared and accepted their lines, instead of insisting on a discount and low financing rate, and reviewing the paperwork more thoroughly (dest charge) before signing. Lesson learned, hopefully not too expensive for you.

You’re a good son to help your mom get a car; don’t let this jade you.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I’m not a lawyer and not familiar with Florida rules but I’d bet you had only a few days to unwind the deal, if any, so it is now too late to do anything. But get a lawyer to confirm that (your paperwork should have a paragraph on your right of recission if FL does have that, so maybe save the lawyer fee and read the contract).

I’d guess that the discount they offered wasn’t the result of your negotiating skills but was a VW rebate, which probably said “cannot be combined with any other offer” including their low financing rate, which probably has the same language. Too late now to verify that, I’d bet, but check the VW website to see if maybe those offers are still there. Next time, do that before you go in and get some screen shots so you have a record. If I’m right, the dealer didn’t give you a dealership discount but did apply the factory discount, and also tried to gouge you on the destination charge. In my way of thinking, they took you because you weren’t well prepared and accepted their lines, instead of insisting on a discount and low financing rate, and reviewing the paperwork more thoroughly (dest charge) before signing. Lesson learned, hopefully not too expensive for you.

You’re a good son to help your mom get a car; don’t let this jade you.
The financing part doesn’t bother as much as the double charge of the destination fee. Definitely lesson learned and I’ve purchased tons of cars but this one slipped under my radar! I’m hoping there is something illegal about deceiving practices as described.

Thanks for your input though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by symple84 View Post
The financing part doesn’t bother as much as the double charge of the destination fee. Definitely lesson learned and I’ve purchased tons of cars but this one slipped under my radar! I’m hoping there is something illegal about deceiving practices as described.

Thanks for your input though.
Report it to your states attorney general. If the sales sheet lists the same item listed and charged twice I think they may be interested
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Report it to your states attorney general. If the sales sheet lists the same item listed and charged twice I think they may be interested
I certainly did that already. It was shown as such:

20,690 MSRP (which included $895 in that amount)
-3,000 Discount
+895 Destination Fee

This is a deceiving way to get back $895 of the discount in my opinion and this is my biggest gripe. It’s just plain wrong, I only noticed once I had the window sticker in my hand.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3443.50
      01-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If it is truly a duplicate charge and clear in the contract (rather than, for example, a destination fee plus a dealer fee) you can tell them you want a refund of the duplicate fee or you will report them to the FL Attorney General’s Office (and follow through if they don’t refund the duplicate fee). You can do this without an attorney.

I think you are SOL on the financing if you accepted the terms.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center...er-complaints/

Edit: I see ScottSinger already suggested right before I did.
      01-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
If it is truly a duplicate charge and clear in the contract (rather than, for example, a destination fee plus a dealer fee) you can tell them you want a refund of the duplicate fee or you will report them to the FL Attorney General’s Office (and follow through if they don’t refund the duplicate fee). You can do this without an attorney.

I think you are SOL on the financing if you accepted the terms.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center...er-complaints/
I went back and demanded the refund and they only offered me half of it back. I obviously declined taking only half when they screwed me out of almost $1k. I’ve reported it to the Attorney General already and BBB.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Then I think you can either see how it plays out or take what they are offering. Personally I wouldn’t spend money on an attorney or invest the time in small claiims to try to recover and other 1/2. You can also post reviews warning others if you want to invest the time.

Just a guess... was it South Motors VW?
      01-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #10
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Then I think you can either see how it plays out or take what they are offering. Personally I wouldn’t spend money on an attorney or invest the time in small claiims to try to recover and other 1/2. You can also post reviews warning others if you want to invest the time.

Just a guess... was it South Motors VW?
Yep how’d you guess that? Ha
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #11
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I’ve spoken to their BMW dealership and find them horrendous. I seem to remember them trying to mark up over MSRP on an M4 so what you described doesn’t surprise me with them. It was a short discussion.
      01-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ve spoken to their BMW dealership and find them horrendous. I seem to remember them trying to mark up over MSRP on an M4 so what you described doesn’t surprise me with them. It was a short discussion.
I don’t know why dealers down here are so bad! I can’t say I’ve ever had a positive experience with any BMW dealership in Miami.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t know why dealers down here are so bad! I can’t say I’ve ever had a positive experience with any BMW dealership in Miami.
Yeah I dont understand why it’s so bad. They get a little better as you move further north but they aren’t great here in PB County either. I have resorted to buying out of the area because I hate dealing with the South FL dealers.
Attached Images

01-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

OP,

Let this be a $895 lesson that you never sign stuff without reading first.

In the future, if someone starts changing terms mid-deal just walk out and save yourself a headache. I would have left this dealer as soon as they mentioned different interest rate...
Appreciate 2
Jim_B14.50
      01-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #15
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Yep how’d you guess that? Ha
I had a feeling it was South Motors VW as well. Last year I got an approval from Carmax but wanted to see if they could beat their rate with zero down as. I specifically told them that if they asked for money down I would walk right out the front door without hesitation and that’s exactly what happened.

I would also give them a bad rating on Yelp as that would usually get their attention first. GL.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 11:20 PM   #16
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
From the VW dealers point of view this isn't an issue, simply internet shoppers see one price, a different price isn't advertised or fully disclosed because not everybody gets the cheap rate. It's somehow the dealers fault when they expect both the cheap rate and the advertised price.

VW has 2 pockets in the left is money so the factory says we pay your cash down to keep the lines moving and cranking out cars. The right pocket is VW Financial they ask you to forfeit some or all offers from the left pocket for future savings from free-cheap money. Everyone can get the left pocket, the 2 pockets never touch.

simply every auto purchase is different and some need a trade difference to write a check and some need a payment for monthly budget. Until you/they settle the numbers and get a credit app lots of question marks.

As for the $895 I'd love to see the worksheet or 4 square. Basically in the world of Internet sales things are shady, to offer the lower price then the next dealer advertise the vehicle for a loss so it drives traffic(car jargon for getting you in) as a salesperson that loss will not stand. The manager won't let the car sell for that loss so he/she has to add many of the missing numbers and value driven packages on to your price. As long as it was disclosed to you and you agreed to it, signing worksheet and the buyers order with that number on it and driving the car over the curb. It's the opposite of how it was done 30yrs ago. I only worked for VW for 6mo, diesel gate messed them up.

One way to get a refund for it is barter a perfect survey!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #17
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

$900 destination charge on a $20k car...lol. South motors never disappoints.

Why are South Florida dealers so bad? Because they can be. The region has so many unscrupulous people and so many consumers who don't bother to educate themselves (don't mean you, OP. I think you made a mistake dealing with that dealer, but the blame lies with them in straight up defrauding you)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #18
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

How did they justify/agree to a 50% discount, instead of the full amount?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #19
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
How did they justify/agree to a 50% discount, instead of the full amount?
If you are referring to returning me half of the extra destination, they said it was a gesture of customer service! Total joke! Mind you it took 2 weeks for them to return a phone call.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #20
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

That's hilarious. And, yes, I meant to say refund, not discount. We live in some F'ed up times. You have a document stating you were double charged, but a partial refund is considered a "a gesture of customer service".
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #21
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
That's hilarious. And, yes, I meant to say refund, not discount. We live in some F'ed up times. You have a document stating you were double charged, but a partial refund is considered a "a gesture of customer service".
Yep, They claim to do this to every deal so they might have a class action lawsuit on their hands. If you notice the first line is the MSRP of the vehicle which already includes a destination fee, then the add it after giving a “discount”. Essentially charging the customer for twice albeit it’s hidden in line 1 where it only shows the MSRP.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1kwYd4q13dDthwHV8
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #22
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

If you don't mind spending the time, it would also be worth reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission for deceptive sales practices.
Appreciate 1