Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #23
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

One size does not fit all. BMW engineers design vehicles under the eye of accountant Sauron. The i8 is an incredible car, but it is not perfect, and each of us has distinct ideas of what perfection is. I like performance, hence I look for modifications that will reduce weight, enhance handling, increase acceleration, improve reliability and longevity. BMW does not sit on its hands; they are constantly looking for ways to improve, just like us individual owners.

PS, the 135 with a tune is a different animal...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 07:49 AM   #24
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I sadly have a bad experience with Yorkshire DPF. First off I had to keep hounding them for 6 months after I paid for my tune and unit. This was 2021-2022. Then the unit I received was NOT the one advertised on their site but a jenky budget off brand(my Genius). Third I reset the car to stock per device instructions and per DPF. while it was at BMW my reason for resetting it to stock. They flashed an update to the ECU. Got the car back and the tuner would no longer talk to the car because of a software mismatch. Tried going through DPF to reset the unit and no dice. It's locked to previous software and won't allow reset. Even though I followed the instructions prior to sending it to BMW to put the device into a state that would allow it to be reset according to DPF and the device. So I waited for months for a not as advertised unit that's a paperweight. The only offer from DPF is for me to buy the original tuning unit that they offered and I supposedly paid for at the start... So not only did I wait months for a unit that was cheaper and not as advertised.(reset it and use on other cars) Its locked to a version of my i8 that doesn't exist simply because the dealer flashed an update to the ECU... Neither DPF or the company that makes the my Genius has been any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 09:23 AM   #25
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Aaaagh

Nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 03:11 PM   #26
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

I tried to tune my 2019 with them turns out bmw locked the ecu and unlocking it is a big hassle got my money back - fees at the end
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 05:12 AM   #27
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I bought an i8 with a tune. I could not care less about mariginally better 0-60 or 0-100 times. Tiny Mini derived 3 cyl 1,5L engine tuned to something like 300-350bhp with AWD car (meaning the power is not spinning away via tire slip rather car is basically hooked to the tarmac) is literally like asking for troubles. Especially in a long term ... lets say 30-40k miles.

So I asked the dealer to overwrite it with latest BMW software. Also BMW cannot update any other software in the car with out overwriting engine mapping. At least that that I was told.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:56 PM   #28
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Any noticeable change?

What differences do you notice going back to stock software?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 08:18 AM   #29
Flasher
Rep

my BMW i8 was tuned to 427 HP and 709 Nm on the dyno almost two years ago - i´m very happy with the result and it just makes my i8 more of a sportscar !
I also kept the exaust flap open by removing the fuse for a sportier sound in all conditions....
Tuning was done by EcuAdaptions in the Netherlands, they also can provide the tuning file for DIY users !
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 05:30 AM   #30
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
What differences do you notice going back to stock software?

Its winter time over here so cant really do LC or drive spiritedly.

But I'm kind of old school, I prefer reliability over max performance. Especially with cars full of stuff that not much garages even wanna put their hands into.

The 3-cyl tiny "B38" is far from an engine that can really hold max power & torque. Something like 400bhp from 1,5L is kind of similar compared to 800bhp from 3L engine. Not long lasting fun, especially in an AWD car.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:20 AM   #31
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

to tune or not to tune...

Agreed. The i8 is, well, the i8.

My experience with a 335 was different: a tune boosted power significantly, making power slides easy to induce and control. But that was RWD with a limited slip differential, manual transmission, and modified suspension.

The AWD in the i8 is a horse of a different color. It may be that I have had little driving time in snow (Texas + global warming...) and hence have not gotten comfortable w aggressive power slides. But that seems out of character for the i8.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

But if BMW develops a true sports car again -- <1000Kg w ICE turbo >300BHP, RWD, manual transmission -- I will be first in line to order by European Delivery.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 10:40 AM   #32
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post

-- I will be first in line to order by European Delivery.

Unfortunately, BMW has done away with ED for US buyers. It happened during the pandemic.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...rogram-ending/

Several BMW CCA members are working to reverse that decision. Even if they are successful, however, it is unlikely to be widely available again. Watch BimmerLife, Roundel and BMW CCA social media channels for the if/when/how.
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 0