BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

01-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
jbrown1
Chicago BM'r
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertable

2015 i3 REX

While installing snows I asked if they could install lower springs and was cautioned that it could invalidate the warranty.

1) Does anyone know for certain if this is true of if the tire installer was merely being conservative?

2) Any feedback on lower i3 springs in terms of drive-ability, performance, parking (scraping lip on a concrete bumper in public garage)?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown1 View Post
While installing snows I asked if they could install lower springs and was cautioned that it could invalidate the warranty.

1) Does anyone know for certain if this is true of if the tire installer was merely being conservative?
Any damage that is directly caused by a modification, if that mod is witnessed by the dealer, will not be covered by the factory warranty.

The overall vehicle warranty will not be impacted, but if you blow out you shocks after installing too short a spring, replacement shocks will likely be sponsored by your wallet, not BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown1 View Post
2) Any feedback on lower i3 springs in terms of drive-ability, performance, parking (scraping lip on a concrete bumper in public garage)?
There are SOOOOO many aftermarket parts out there, including springs, that any generic feedback would be worthless.

Generally speaking, shocks should have a piston length and valving that match the spring rate and height. Every time I had modified my cars' suspension, it usually included performance shocks + springs, as well as sway bars and alignment.

i3 handles so poorly (relative to other BMWs), that swapping out springs alone would be a drop in a bucket. However, if you are just going for looks, that should do the trick.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0