RWD only.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 S550 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JEDI View Post
WOW, some of you guys just really miss the point of this car...it's to help BMW meet the upcoming EPA MIles per gallon rules.
At the rate this car will sell, its impact on BMW's CAFE numbers will be negligible at best.

Quote:
it's a HALO car and it shows BMW is sensitive to some of it's customers needs and yes even tech SAVY dude who look like Waldo like BMW's.....and they will buy it and rave ....I for one like the car it shows the company has heart.
The problem is that BMW is being very selective about which customers they are sensitive too. So yeah... I am going to whine until I get what I want just like the west coast liberals whined until they get what they wanted.
It's not like BMW has access to nearly unlimited info about its existing clientele, nor would they have a massive marketing department dedicated to researching product decisions like this.

I think you should write them a letter and tell them what to do since you sound pretty confident.

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #46
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
No performance and no practical usability. Sadly, the i8 is going to flop.

For the same or less money, buyers can have a GT3 (2x performance) or M5 (2x usability). And if it's electric a buyer is really after, Tesla has put the i8 to shame before its even been released.
This. Spot on.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #47
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
WOW, some of you guys just really miss the point of this car...it's to help BMW meet the upcoming EPA MIles per gallon rules.
No. That is why they have the Mini Group.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #48
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
I am going to whine until I get what I want just like the west coast liberals whined until they get what they wanted.
+1
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #49
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13E92M3
Quote:
No. That is why they have the Mini Group.
My f30 328i gets better real world mpg over my mini clubman s....just saying

I love the concept behind it, and may be a future owner. I'm sure this will cost less in maintenance in the long run compared to my e63 m6

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #50
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
Maybe in Texas where you can get a apartment for $400 a month, a decent apartment out here is 3k. I rather get a Tesla, this car makes me sleepy.
..the sleepy comment cracked me up lol ~Frost
      08-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #51
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)

THIS is a brilliant post ~Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011M3MD View Post
Perhaps, the technology of a cf monocoque in a mainstream production car is being missed in all these harsh criticisms. That is what marketing this car is all about, in my view. Add that to the concept of homologation. Now, you have the best platform to enter a car into the DTM or possibly LeMans series type of the future.

Hybrid competition will be lost on any of the M series autos we know, they are so heavy a not rigid, by comparison. Competing against the i8 platform will be the demise of all BMW's competitors, in the future hybrid rules of sports auto competitions given this platform's advancement. Only Porsche has a chance, and their car is significantly heavier. 200+ lbs will swap out the 3-cyl for a 6-cyl, 400-600 hp engine - for competition.

I see a winner in this innocent and feeble looking i8. The underpinnings are of a supercar. I remember reading of BMW toying with cf monocoque 10 yrs ago for a very low production. Now, it is in a mainstream product.

Low MPG is dead. The future is quiet, fast and lightweight. I hate that future, too. But a company has to make a living. Look at Kodak. No more film = no more Kodak. No more low mpg = ?

Take a careful look at the side shot of the stripped-down car. Is it not just like the supercars like mclaren or Koenigsegg make? The i8 will allow to bring a lot of tech into other future cars, for consumers and competition.
      08-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #52
manywelps
Rep
Drives: 1999 E39 528i

Sorry, but I'm in the middle of silicon valley, everyone is aiming for Teslas, The Model S destroys this in every single category except for flat-out range.

Which is irrelevant because:

1) Superchargers

2) The price difference is so enormous, you could buy an M3 and a fully loaded P85 Tesla S and be at the same price or less as one i8.

And both cars will be far better performers.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #53
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
It's not like BMW has access to nearly unlimited info about its existing clientele, nor would they have a massive marketing department dedicated to researching product decisions like this.

I think you should write them a letter and tell them what to do since you sound pretty confident.
I do send them letters along with yours, it's called cash....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #54
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 S550 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JEDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post

I do send them letters along with yours, it's called cash....
You and millions of others lol. They crunch the numbers and plan their strategies accordingly.

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #55
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
i wonder what BMW thinks "high-earning" is? $100k, $150k, $200k+ ?
Household income minimum should be at least 400k IMO to be able to really afford a toy like this. Of course you can buy it no problem with less than 300k household income, but I don't think that is wise.
I am always quite puzzled by posts like this. So, if the $400k wage earner has a $1mm mortgage that he is shelling out for month after month and the $250k doesn't have a mortgage, guess which one has more discretionary income for a $125k auto purchase? There is more than one test that is required to determine affordability. I know plenty of people that earn $500k+ annually that are leveraged to the tits who have no business buying a $50k car let alone one like this.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #56
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011M3MD View Post
Perhaps, the technology of a cf monocoque in a mainstream production car is being missed in all these harsh criticisms. That is what marketing this car is all about, in my view. Add that to the concept of homologation. Now, you have the best platform to enter a car into the DTM or possibly LeMans series type of the future.

Hybrid competition will be lost on any of the M series autos we know, they are so heavy a not rigid, by comparison. Competing against the i8 platform will be the demise of all BMW's competitors, in the future hybrid rules of sports auto competitions given this platform's advancement. Only Porsche has a chance, and their car is significantly heavier. 200+ lbs will swap out the 3-cyl for a 6-cyl, 400-600 hp engine - for competition.

I see a winner in this innocent and feeble looking i8. The underpinnings are of a supercar. I remember reading of BMW toying with cf monocoque 10 yrs ago for a very low production. Now, it is in a mainstream product.

Low MPG is dead. The future is quiet, fast and lightweight. I hate that future, too. But a company has to make a living. Look at Kodak. No more film = no more Kodak. No more low mpg = ?

Take a careful look at the side shot of the stripped-down car. Is it not just like the supercars like mclaren or Koenigsegg make? The i8 will allow to bring a lot of tech into other future cars, for consumers and competition.
Well put. And I like that you put Lemans and DTM in this cars path because I foresee the same potential there. I don't think that this car will lead to a demise in other competitors as much as we think. Others will try to mimic and invent their own so to speak.
I would love to see this thing go to lemans and rule the world, quite frankly I'm sick of Audi running the show.

But respectively so well deserved. Porsche yes definitely. Even though its the same roof but different division Audi has to be in the mix. And here is another thought, Toyota. They gave Audi hell at Lemans, something not many saw coming with their strategy. And guess who's sharing tech with Toyota? You guessed it . Lets see what happens.

To get back on track, I think the car is pretty cool and I like what it represents. I won't get it, well frankly I can't afford it if its $125k. I have to stick to what I can so my near future BMW=M235i, M2(if ever built) or M3. But I'll be enjoying every second I'm behind the wheel of them .
      08-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #57
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
I am always quite puzzled by posts like this. So, if the $400k wage earner has a $1mm mortgage that he is shelling out for month after month and the $250k doesn't have a mortgage, guess which one has more discretionary income for a $125k auto purchase? There is more than one test that is required to determine affordability. I know plenty of people that earn $500k+ annually that are leveraged to the tits who have no business buying a $50k car let alone one like this.
Lmao and the truth comes out! But such accurate info! I know a couple of people like that as well. I call them house broke.

I don't make nearly even half of what you just stated. And I'll never be house broke. Budget. I don't have the sickest cars and most expensive things but they're still pretty damn good for being 32 . I go to Europe every year, leaving for the caymans in 2 weeks. I just don't get people like that. $400k-$500k annual and you're right shouldn't be buying a $50k car
      08-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #58
M_Power_Fan
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: the Ring

well i just did an 8min lap around the Nordschleife in my M6, and burnt 29.5L/100km - i don't need this car
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #59
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

^^

Nice!

But has nothing to do with needing or not needing this car. I think an M6 and an i8 would make for great garage mates Say an M6 Vert and the i8, or the M6 Coupe and an i8 Spyder. For different weather, for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #60
kv12
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i E39, X2 F39, 330 G20

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
^^

Nice!

But has nothing to do with needing or not needing this car. I think an M6 and an i8 would make for great garage mates Say an M6 Vert and the i8, or the M6 Coupe and an i8 Spyder. For different weather, for example.
^^ This

There are cars you need (To get from A - B)
There are cars you want (Because it's fast or looks drop dead gorgeous)

I have a feeling that this is a car you purchase because you can.
Appreciate 0