08-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #23
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Anyone living in Florida with a cracked windscreen on your i8? It's supposed to be free in our state if you get your windscreen cracked and needs replacing. Is this rule different for the i8?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #24
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
I'd be interested in your experience with that stuff. How does ot react to lots of sunlight? Does it affect how well the wipers work? Is it easier or harder to clean than the galss surface? Etc. Thanks in advance.
Feedback post install of clearplex

Pro's

- windscreen protection - very tough
- easier to clean
- tar and bugs do not adhere as much

Cons
- optical distortion , which does reduce significantly a week after install. Mainly noticeable when looking long distance. You do get used to it.
- when clean , wipers squeaky - maybe needs some sort of sealant?

I do need to checkout out at night to make sure, other cars headlights do not halo
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      08-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #25
ijl_bitsa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Ionic Silver i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Singh
Another Cracked Windshied from 2015 pure impulse with less than 5k miles on it. Are these being replaced under warranty or is this an out of pocket expense
Who's your local dealer ? Let us know how you get on ?
I'm guessing this is unexplained right ? No stone chip ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #26
Cali Singh
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijl_bitsa View Post
Stevens Creek BMW. They are quoting me $4,300 to replace the windshield including labor. They declined warranty claim as they felt their might have been a stone that caused the damage. Its B.S how dealers try to haggle you with this. I contacted BMW USA and hopefully they will settle this claim for good. The cracked stress windshield pattern is consistent with other members on this forum
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:14 AM   #27
vmatheboss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: nissan gt-r / bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Singh View Post
Stevens Creek BMW. They are quoting me $4,300 to replace the windshield including labor. They declined warranty claim as they felt their might have been a stone that caused the damage. Its B.S how dealers try to haggle you with this. I contacted BMW USA and hopefully they will settle this claim for good. The cracked stress windshield pattern is consistent with other members on this forum
im located in sf... got mine cracked 3 weeks ago..going through insurance and its still on back order.... mine was a tiny millimeter chip from driving down socal...next morning the chip turned into a long crack to the middle of the windshield....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #28
amgrocket
Rep
Drives: 14 i8, 13 SL63, 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Singh View Post
I had my windshield replaced due to a baseball size rock hitting it last fall. It was $3900 with a discount. The windshield was in stock but the assorted clips etc were 2 weeks out. It also took a full week to have installed at a Bay Area dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #29
ijl_bitsa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Ionic Silver i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Singh
Quote:
It's bad enough this happens to you in the first place, but when it takes weeks !! to get a new windshield... Wtf !
I'm guessing parts are shipping from Germany with delivery times like this !
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #30
Surreyi8
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Please see my previous posts re my cracked windscreen on my 2014 i8. There was no impact visible and I believe the crack was caused by stress . BMW refused to accept that so I had to pay for the windscreen to be replaced myself . My insurers, Admiral, would not pay for the cost of replacement by BMW as they would only pay for their own supplier to replace. Their supplier did not know how to replace the screen in an i8 as they had never seen one before. Took Admiral to the ombudsman and got £400 out of them (what they would have paid Their supplier) but I still had to find £1200 to pay BMW. I have now switched to BMW insurance that covers all work in BMW garages and is actually cheaper too. UK readers should take note!

As it was the BMW dealer I used did a bad job of replacing the windscreen. It took them four weeks due to lack of availability of parts in Germany. When it came back the door started catching on the A pillar lifting the trim and destroying the seal . So back it went for another two weeks to have that rectified .

I had booked the car in for further work next week . Door was still catching and the Aircon is no longer cold (presumably a leak) . Also the windscreen wash motors have packed up . To make matters worse I woke up yesterday morning to find the windscreen had cracked again ! Running out of patience now ! Love the car but in my six months of ownership it has been in the garage for six weeks 😡☹️😪😲 and reduced a grown man to the use of emojis...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #31
Mikegg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, RR SVR, Maserati Ghibli

Same thing happened today on my i8 Roadster. Anyone know if these were covered under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #32
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreyi8 View Post
I have now switched to BMW insurance that covers all work in BMW garages and is actually cheaper too. UK readers should take note!
Taking note!!

Can I ask what you paid for your BMW insurance... PM me if you wish? My renewal quote from Direct line went up 25% so shopped around and ended up with the AA, still an increase but less that Direct at £625pa. Only just agreed this and there is a cooling off period so I would be delighted to know what you paid? Ta...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #33
MajorJump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegg View Post
Same thing happened today on my i8 Roadster. Anyone know if these were covered under warranty?
It's explicitly not covered under the extended warranty. That's probably more so they done pay to replace windscreens with genuine chips etc. And this is clearly some sport of structural error.

I've seen mixed reports on here with some people getting BMW to pay up. For me, it wasn't worth the hassle and I just used my car insurance with £90 excess.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:47 PM   #34
bushdsmith
Registered
Rep

Cracked i8 Windshield

Purchased my Certified 2016 i8 last Sept. and put approx 900 miles on it over past 5 months. Heard a "pop" last week when pulling into a shopping area up a ramp but could not find the cause or any damage. Took it to BMW the next day to have them service a defective gas door issue and the tech asked me about the cracked windshield by the rear view mirror. It was hidden by the black painted area behind the rear view mirror so I could not see it from inside the car. I was shocked and let him know nothing had hit the windshield. Dealership said it was impact damage. I am contesting and sending all posts to dealership which said they will pass on to BMW North America to ask them to cover the cost. Love the car, but disappointed with these issues. I have attached the image of my windshield as well as a summary of posts and images i found on line. Hoping this helps someone else if they encounter the same problem.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW i8 Cracked Windshield tracking sheet 1-26-19.pdf (65.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: pdf On Line Posts of BMW i8 Windsheild Failure 1-26-2020.pdf (4.75 MB, 66 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #35
thomasgilbert1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota 2019

Ordered wind screen of my BMW online

Quote:
Guys,

I've been reading this forum for the past few weeks and seeing a number of i8's having cracked windshield problems...

I don't have this problem, but it does seem to be pretty common ?

The "drive module" for the i8 being carbon /composite, seems to me it will flex more than the glass that's attached to it?

Anyways, I though I'd post this topic and see how many other people have been having the same issue, especially as BMW do not seem to acknowledge it as a problem and do not cover the replacement on warranty.

Anyone else ?

I have a BMW in Pakistan and i didn't get the wind screen of my i8 here. So i ordered from foreign company online, recommended by my friend. But that company was not offering the shipping service outside of their home country. So i search out the shipping companies that offer best international shipping rates for wind screen. I found some of the companies and receive my order via that companies. I'll personally recommend to you also to visit their sites.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #36
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The i8 chassis is exceptionally stiff, so flex is not the issue. I suggest getting full glass coverage, no deductible on your insurance plan.
Appreciate 0