BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #111
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Yeah sometimes I digress but I am very friendly and helpful here on this forum.

The reason I say the i8 is closest to the 918 is because the La Ferrari cannot really drive in full electric only mode. There is a report that it can but its for such a short period of time that I believe thats the reason why Ferrari says that it cannot. So for all intents and purposes I continue to say that it cannot.
The i8 is currently in its own class because there's nothing out there that you can buy new that is like it. The closest thing cost MSRP $900,000 and that was the Porsche 918 which you'll have to buy used at more than double that price if you want one. And is the 918 almost $2,000,000 better than the i8? Me personally I would say no, but if I could afford a 918 it doesn't mean I wouldn't get one.
The McLaren is a track focused car and it can also drive in full electric mode but like the 918 it's been sold out and if you want to get one its at a totally different price point.
The Acura NSX costs more than the i8, but it's much closer to the i8 price point and you can add options till its $50k more. It produces significantly more power with its twin turbo V6. It also has two electric motors up front which gives it torque vectoring across the front axle. But it won't get the same fuel economy in the i8 and it's NOT a plugin hybrid, it has a more traditional hybrid setup.

So the BMW i8 with its exotic looks, the relatively low weight just under 3,500lbs, because of the intensive carbon fiber used, the Jekyll and Hyde personality of the driving modes, and the low cost compared to anything else with the same setup, really makes the i8 something very special in the market right now. And comparing this to the Tesla as an apples to apples comparison which is a 4 door sedan, weighting just under 5000lbs (in the P90D), from a very new auto maker, that is all electric just makes no sense to me. Tesla's are really great cars, but they are different cars altogether. You cannot even use the back seats in the i8 to fit fully grown adults. But again I digress.
A belated thanks for the decorum and perspectives, good stuff! Now if my buddy's M4 was just a little slower, I'd miss mine less. Still invigorated by the i8, of course! I do wish it held revs, but it definitely holds stares!

Eager to hear how people are liking the I8 tunes!
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #112
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Trying to figure out how to upload the videos. Our results were a bit inconsistent because we were in a rush to get the race done. We weren't in the best area or time to attempt to race but we gave it a shot. But I'd say in our cleanest race he put at least 3 cars on me.
Were you ever able to upload the videos? I'd love to see them man, really interested in what the BR tune can do. I just let go of my M4 and picked up a crystal white i8. And all I've driven is modded turbocharged bmw's for the past 7 years so naturally the moment I drove this thing the mod bug had bitten me HARD. I am on a mission to make this thing faster lol
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #113
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R8

Any updates on this tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #114
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
He has all videos since I forgot to charge my Go-pro I tried both modes, Sport mode and Manual mode to see which mode the car had more power and most definitely Manual is the mode where the car has more power..

cool are you driving the i8 ? I am pretty sure the answer is no but had to ask
Glad you are loving the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carholic View Post
Who is the tuner that did it? Can potentially interested parties contact them?
Velos Designwerks and yes feel free to PM me, email me at Stephen@velosdesignwerks.com or call us at 786-401-6520.
Sent you an email Stephen. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #115
I8Reese
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw i8

I'm new to this forum and came across this thread. I spoke to a guy down here in the boca area who claims he modified the hybrid batteries and is getting 500 + horsepower along with a similar tune . I don't know if he was lying or what, he also had a custom exhaust on his i8 from Turner motoraports, so it sounded loud, he could of been bullshittinf about the battery mod.I planned on getting the tune on my i8 done before I move back to ny. Also, if you look on YouTube there's some guy claiming to have a 900 hp i8, but comments are disabled and there's no real proof other than the one video he has up.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #116
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8Reese View Post
I'm new to this forum and came across this thread. I spoke to a guy down here in the boca area who claims he modified the hybrid batteries and is getting 500 + horsepower along with a similar tune . I don't know if he was lying or what, he also had a custom exhaust on his i8 from Turner motoraports, so it sounded loud, he could of been bullshittinf about the battery mod.I planned on getting the tune on my i8 done before I move back to ny. Also, if you look on YouTube there's some guy claiming to have a 900 hp i8, but comments are disabled and there's no real proof other than the one video he has up.
Well that will be some good and new information regarding the electric HP upgrade, do you know the owner of the i8 (name) ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #117
I8Reese
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Well that will be some good and new information regarding the electric HP upgrade, do you know the owner of the i8 (name) ?
I don't know the guy in boca. We see so many exotics around it was just in passing. I can show you this video on YouTube.. Which may or may not be real:

I don't know if I believe it. He was pulling some prank apparantely, kind of a dousche. But I definitely think the concept is possible .
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #118
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Yea, no.
      11-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #119
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Thanks for sharing the video, but yes, that is 100% genuine BS

Too many reasons I can't even list them all - starting with mention of the battery "under the car", no mention of motor. No mention of drivetrain, greabox upgrades. Tyres still skinny. No mention of suspension or brake upgrades. And....video looks fake visually.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #120
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Thanks for sharing the video, but yes, that is 100% genuine BS

Too many reasons I can't even list them all - starting with mention of the battery "under the car", no mention of motor. No mention of drivetrain, greabox upgrades. Tyres still skinny. No mention of suspension or brake upgrades. And....video looks fake visually.
Agreed - what utter BS
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #121
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I8Reese View Post
I don't know the guy in boca. We see so many exotics around it was just in passing. I can show you this video on YouTube.. Which may or may not be real:

I don't know if I believe it. He was pulling some prank apparantely, kind of a dousche. But I definitely think the concept is possible .
This video is completely fake. They even speed up the video in order to make it look faster.

100% BS.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 02:05 AM   #122
mastermason11
IG @ papa_smurf_m2
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [0.00]
Its been almost a year with no updates ? Anyone wanted to give some updates on the tune ? Thanks a lot !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #123
Groundhog
Private
Rep
Drives: R-compounded

Maybe go see the guys at European Auto Source around the corner from you in Anaheim. Most likely you'll be their guinea pig. They have talked about the piggy back in this thread to alter boost and timing. Talking to Tom over there, he said for most power - easier to get at- would be to go would be to tune with E85. You'll probably need to upgrade injectors, fuel pump, get bigger fuel lines.

If you want more power out of the electric motor, He said you'll have to find someone that can hack BMW's software (they can't), but if the motor is indeed the same as the I3 (I've heard it isn't) there's more HP there as well by discharging the batteries faster which would affect their cooling ability.

Once you are done, your warrantee could be voided, your car will be worth as much as anyone would be willing to pay for it in this demographic - which might be salvage value.

if you want something to tune easily, maybe look at an Evo, STI, Supra... . I don't see the point of trying to mod a car like this. Look at the Z8 if you want a similar history it wasn't particularly fast among it's peers, but was better looking (subjectively of course).
Beyond bolt ons, I don't recall anyone modding them like crazy. The untouched ones are worth a mint now.
Appreciate 0