Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

09-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #111
Road Trip
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06

Yet to find me a vehicle that was/is perfect. The iX is super exciting to me as is. Certainly not perfect but dammed excellent. So fortunate I can afford one.
Appreciate 4
Paladin15640.00
exxxviii1390.50
deutsch1004069.00
      09-27-2023, 03:42 PM   #112
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Y’all keep those comments coming. Hope it makes you feel better about your purchase decision. I’m not replying any further to this ridiculous thread and wish I hadn’t ever responded in the first place.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I visit this forum to find answers and to help other people solve problems. If that makes me an ***hole, then so be it.
Appreciate 2
Road Trip1379.50
deutsch1004069.00
      09-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #113
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
If there is a feature in the car that one wishes was better its ok to vent. Not ok to keep praising tesla.
I don't see how a "I prefer how the X5 does xxx" observation is any different than a "I prefer how Tesla does xxx" observation.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 03:48 PM   #114
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
I don't see how a "I prefer how the X5 does xxx" observation is any different than a "I prefer how Tesla does xxx" observation.
I come into the IX from an X5. The X5 does a few things better than the IX. After a post or 2 about it I would give it a rest though.
Appreciate 1
exxxviii1390.50
      09-27-2023, 03:56 PM   #115
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I visit this forum to find answers and to help other people solve problems.
The main reason I visit or participate on virtually any site on the Internet is because it is entertaining to me. I sometimes try to be helpful as well.

I do wish this forum had an "ignore thread" feature as I am not entertained by every discussion.
Appreciate 1
exxxviii1390.50
      09-27-2023, 04:00 PM   #116
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
I'll give another example of why I think threads like these are hugely valuable to folks. They tend to uncover quibbles that may not matter that much to the audience in the thread at the time of the thread, but they may matter a lot to someone who happens to catch something important to them.

Just before I jumped ship to the iX, I learned that the car formerly at the top of my list did not have HD radio. I really like HD radio, and that seems like an absurd thing to omit in any modern car. That was probably the straw that killed the car for me. They had already delayed HUD and PaaK until 2025, which I tolerated, but HD Radio, though not a dealbreaker, became the dealbreaker when combined with everything else.

That little HD Radio detail was buried in a forum thread like this one.

I think the iX is close to perfect for me. It is very heavy and has terrible storage, but both of those are typical of first generation design and engineering. I wish it had better hard buttons for climate and comfort so I don't have to do everything for my passenger. Oh, and I think the seat control button locations really suck and look kinda Gaudi in crystal. I knew all of this before I ordered it, but for me it is still fun to poke about it. As someone wisely wrote above, no car is perfect, so we are looking for the car that has the best mix upsides and downsides for each of us.
      09-27-2023, 04:21 PM   #117
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I come into the IX from an X5. The X5 does a few things better than the IX. After a post or 2 about it I would give it a rest though.
We have hundreds of posts and replies on this forum comparing X5 to iX. How many posts do we have of people just complaining and comparing the X5 vs. iX seats? And they are often repeated posts, in different threads, sharing the exact same opinions.

My point being that these type of posts are normal in any automotive forum. I'm not irrationally offended by those X5 posts, and am not sure why others here are irrationally offended by Tesla posts in the context of comparing how the manufacturers implemented something and why.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004069.00
      09-27-2023, 05:36 PM   #118
Road Trip
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I visit this forum to find answers and to help other people solve problems.
Thank you. Helping others learn is always a good thing. I have learned a ton from key responses by about ten people and then isolated things from others. You are all very appreciated greatly by this newbie.

Down the road, especially once mine arrives and I drive it a bunch, I hope to help others too.

I do dislike the word HATE in this thread’s title. However about a gentler tone on future threads like this such as:

“The things I wish were different about the iX’s interior or could be added to it.”
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2023, 06:06 PM   #119
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
We have hundreds of posts and replies on this forum comparing X5 to iX. How many posts do we have of people just complaining and comparing the X5 vs. iX seats? And they are often repeated posts, in different threads, sharing the exact same opinions.

My point being that these type of posts are normal in any automotive forum. I'm not irrationally offended by those X5 posts, and am not sure why others here are irrationally offended by Tesla posts in the context of comparing how the manufacturers implemented something and why.

Because all of your posts are about how good the tesla is whilst glossing over its zillion shortcomings. The web is rife with your ilk. Its an ix forum afterall and yes the x5 and IX are closer in spirit and class than a tesla.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004069.00
      09-27-2023, 06:29 PM   #120
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Because all of your posts are about how good the tesla is whilst glossing over its zillion shortcomings. The web is rife with your ilk. Its an ix forum afterall and yes the x5 and IX are closer in spirit and class than a tesla.
I've got plenty of complaints about my Tesla. But complaining about its shortcomings here would be off topic. Complaining about my iX shortcomings is not.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004069.00
      09-27-2023, 06:56 PM   #121
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
I've got plenty of complaints about my Tesla. But complaining about its shortcomings here would be off topic. Complaining about my iX shortcomings is not.
Doesn't make sense....
its as off topic complaining about ixs shortcomings vis a vis a tesla as teslas shortcomings vis a vis an IX.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 10:14 PM   #122
bmwix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ix

The new facelifted X5 has the iDrive 8 powered interior. It's more inline with the new i5 overall design language. With merino leather seats and alcantara headliners, it is more upscale than iX in term of luxury aspect.
iX interior hasn't change since 2022. 2022 iX looks far better than any other previous generations of BMW SUVs at that time.
BMW doesn't refresh all models at the same year. When iX LCI comes out in 2025, it will have a new design and set the tone for other models to follow in years to come.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 12:10 AM   #123
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW iX X drive40

German excellence

I love my iX period. I do have one or two things that i wished was there but not.
1. Extendable sunvisors
2. A lip or tray to prevent handbags or laptop from sliding away from the intended middle position
3. Power socket for small outdoor luxury . Fan, coffee machine and portable light.
There we go. Am i lovin it?. Hell yeah.
Appreciate 4
darylp310990.50
RDN47.00
Road Trip1379.50
deutsch1004069.00
      09-29-2023, 01:51 PM   #124
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

To add to the quibbles list. Before everyone freaks out, I still enjoy my car, but I sort of expect certain things in a 120k car… so here we go…

No “gentleman” function. For those that don’t know, it’s the button you can press on the driver’s door which allows you to control the passenger seat (including memory).

Picked up my kids from school today and wanted to give them the most room to get in with their backpacks. I thought I could just go into the passenger seat menu and assign seat position 1 and 2 to shortcuts. Nope.

The x5 had a physical button. The 7 had it and I even retrofitted it into my 5. I’m sure there are others that have the function as well. Yet they won’t allow me to add a simple shortcut in their “flagship” electric SAV. Well played BMW.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13727.50
deutsch1004069.00
      09-29-2023, 02:07 PM   #125
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

While a frunk was not a deal-breaker for me when buying the iX, it certainly isn't bad to have so long as they do it properly. It has to be properly sealed from dust intrusion; cannot compromise cabin space, comfort or sound insulation; and must have a remote open/close like the tailgate.

I highly doubt that a frunk will have any bearing on a purchase decision in the future, either.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004069.00
      10-07-2023, 02:33 PM   #126
Savsearcher
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp xdrive, '24 iX M60

I’ve had the iX M60 for a little over a week now and have just started driving it more so I’m picking up on things. First is the walnut panel. The white lettering looks either dirty or the paint was rubbed off by the dealership. Does this look normal to any of you? I also found a small dent on the passenger side door and considering it’s only been garaged at my house, it has to have happened at the dealership. No idea if they’ll be willing to do anything about it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
deutsch1004069.00
      10-07-2023, 02:50 PM   #127
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savsearcher View Post
I’ve had the iX M60 for a little over a week now and have just started driving it more so I’m picking up on things. First is the walnut panel. The white lettering looks either dirty or the paint was rubbed off by the dealership. Does this look normal to any of you? I also found a small dent on the passenger side door and considering it’s only been garaged at my house, it has to have happened at the dealership. No idea if they’ll be willing to do anything about it.
Unfortunately, you’re going to have a hard time getting them to accept responsibility after you have taken delivery. Regarding the wood trim, the panel, controller knob, and electronics are all part of one module which is not cheap to replace. Mine is extremely stiff including the jog wheel, but there’s nothing they will do about mine since it’s still functional.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004069.00
      10-07-2023, 03:28 PM   #128
330 CSi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: iX M60 Then:X5 35d & 330c

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
To add to the quibbles list. Before everyone freaks out, I still enjoy my car, but I sort of expect certain things in a 120k car… so here we go…

No “gentleman” function. For those that don’t know, it’s the button you can press on the driver’s door which allows you to control the passenger seat (including memory).

Picked up my kids from school today and wanted to give them the most room to get in with their backpacks. I thought I could just go into the passenger seat menu and assign seat position 1 and 2 to shortcuts. Nope.

The x5 had a physical button. The 7 had it and I even retrofitted it into my 5. I’m sure there are others that have the function as well. Yet they won’t allow me to add a simple shortcut in their “flagship” electric SAV. Well played BMW.
I haven't tried this but can't yo add a shortcut to the iDrive to adjust the passenger seat to a setting that allows for the access. Not as good as a physical button, but maybe useful enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #129
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330 CSi View Post
I haven't tried this but can't yo add a shortcut to the iDrive to adjust the passenger seat to a setting that allows for the access. Not as good as a physical button, but maybe useful enough.
No. I mentioned that I tried and couldn’t save a shortcut. Hence my disappointment…
Appreciate 1
330 CSi139.50
      10-08-2023, 12:19 AM   #130
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW iX X drive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savsearcher View Post
The white lettering does look "dirty". Same with mine but I'm not too bothered by it.
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2023, 08:39 AM   #131
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Yes, it's normal. The white lettering is not "paint" but inlaid plastic that lets the letters illuminate from lighting below the panel. Like other BMWs I've owned, it's raised to the touch so you can tell by feel where they are by their orientation to the controller wheel and the Volume scroller with a little practice and muscle memory. The wood is walnut BTW, so will benefit from a periodic application of a little Carnauba or Renaissance wax, or your choice of an interior detailing product like Nextzett.
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2023, 10:53 AM   #132
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Love the iX, especially the interior. But I agree that fabric bit on the side of the door card should go in future versions. I worry about it snagging on things. Also being comically tall, my knee rests against it. Wearing shorts, I left behinds some “knee dandruff”. I guess BMW engineers didn’t account for comically tall guys with dry skin wearing shorts in the passenger seat.
Appreciate 1
Bevforme130.00