Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

11-15-2023, 11:50 AM   #1
PaulJ
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50i, 2020 X1

Intermittent Digital Key Plus Issues since iOS 17 update

I've used the Digital Key Plus feature almost exclusively since taking delivery of my iX xDrive 50 in April 2022. It's worked almost always flawlessly for the first ~ 1 1/2 years of ownership, only occasionally the car hasn't unlocked upon approach, but then unlocked when I'm trying to open the doors. For the first few months I used passive entry through my iPhone 13 (later 14), and then switched to having my Apple Watch Series 8 as the primary way to unlock the vehicle upon approach.

This was absolutely reliable for 16k+ miles of driving over the course of about a year and a half. I never brought my physical key with me, not even on long road trips.

However, shortly after updating to iOS 17, and upgrading to the iPhone 15 Pro Max (but keeping the same watch), every few days the car doesn't recognize the key and refuses to start. Occasionally when this happens it won't even unlock the doors. This appears to happen at random times, but typically after it wasn't driven for a few hours. But sometimes it also happens as I park; I then get a message "digital key not available" and the car won't lock as I walk away. The My BMW app still works as expected and can remotely unlock the car. And when this key issue happens, I can't use my watch or my phone, or even my wife's phone with the digital key, to get the car to start. I must hold a physical key fob against the steering column to drive off.

I've tried removing all car keys from all devices, resetting the digital key plus feature multiple times, unpairing and repairing the phone to the car, restarting phones, watches, as well as the car itself by holding down the volume button 90+ seconds, but the issue keeps coming back every few days. I now always have to bring the key fob with me, so I don't get stranded. The Digital Key Plus feature always starts working again on its own later in the day or the next morning after the car has been parked for a while.

Car: 2022 iX xDrive 50 (iDrive software 03/2023.65)
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17.1.1)
Watch: Series 8 (Watch OS 10.1.1)

It's disappointing that a feature that worked without issue in the past no longer functions reliably. This only started after upgrading to iOS 17 and getting a new phone (but I usually don't use the phone for passive entry, only the watch). I don't think the recent Apple wireless charging issue affected the phone, NFC cards and Apple Pay work as expected on the phone and the watch. I was hopeful that recent iOS updates might fix the issue, but it keeps coming back, as recently as this morning.

Any ideas what else I could try? Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:40 PM   #2
Bmwno6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50, 2024 BMW X5

Did you load the latest update on your iPhone 17.1.1 watch 10.1.1 ? Supposedly included a fix for EVs. I have done mine and both phone and watch work ok so far.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003945.00
      11-18-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
SouthFLGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
I've used the Digital Key Plus feature almost exclusively since taking delivery of my iX xDrive 50 in April 2022. It's worked almost always flawlessly for the first ~ 1 1/2 years of ownership, only occasionally the car hasn't unlocked upon approach, but then unlocked when I'm trying to open the doors. For the first few months I used passive entry through my iPhone 13 (later 14), and then switched to having my Apple Watch Series 8 as the primary way to unlock the vehicle upon approach.

This was absolutely reliable for 16k+ miles of driving over the course of about a year and a half. I never brought my physical key with me, not even on long road trips.

However, shortly after updating to iOS 17, and upgrading to the iPhone 15 Pro Max (but keeping the same watch), every few days the car doesn't recognize the key and refuses to start. Occasionally when this happens it won't even unlock the doors. This appears to happen at random times, but typically after it wasn't driven for a few hours. But sometimes it also happens as I park; I then get a message "digital key not available" and the car won't lock as I walk away. The My BMW app still works as expected and can remotely unlock the car. And when this key issue happens, I can't use my watch or my phone, or even my wife's phone with the digital key, to get the car to start. I must hold a physical key fob against the steering column to drive off.

I've tried removing all car keys from all devices, resetting the digital key plus feature multiple times, unpairing and repairing the phone to the car, restarting phones, watches, as well as the car itself by holding down the volume button 90+ seconds, but the issue keeps coming back every few days. I now always have to bring the key fob with me, so I don't get stranded. The Digital Key Plus feature always starts working again on its own later in the day or the next morning after the car has been parked for a while.

Car: 2022 iX xDrive 50 (iDrive software 03/2023.65)
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17.1.1)
Watch: Series 8 (Watch OS 10.1.1)

It's disappointing that a feature that worked without issue in the past no longer functions reliably. This only started after upgrading to iOS 17 and getting a new phone (but I usually don't use the phone for passive entry, only the watch). I don't think the recent Apple wireless charging issue affected the phone, NFC cards and Apple Pay work as expected on the phone and the watch. I was hopeful that recent iOS updates might fix the issue, but it keeps coming back, as recently as this morning.

Any ideas what else I could try? Thanks for the help.
This has been happening to me on and off for the past two months. Exactly the same behavior you describe. From what I gathered, it is somehow connected to changing to a new phone - even if you delete all the digital keys and start over, I get this issue randomly. The only solution is to delete the digital keys from the iX, delete them from your phone, wait a while and then the physical keys and NFC card begin to work normally.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 01:39 PM   #4
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Have you tried using the car without the watch and using only the phone? Might help to see if you can narrow down if it's just one or both devices having issues.
      11-20-2023, 10:47 AM   #5
PaulJ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Have you tried using the car without the watch and using only the phone? Might help to see if you can narrow down if it's just one or both devices having issues.
On Friday I reset the digital keys again while running the latest iOS / WatchOS (17.1.1 / 10.1.1).
It worked for two days, and then the issue returned.
Yesterday I deleted the key from my watch (also verified it no longer shows in the car), and digital key using only my phone immediately worked again. Until this morning, same issue yet again. Car didn't unlock, had to hold fob to steering column to start.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 05:57 PM   #6
SouthFLGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
On Friday I reset the digital keys again while running the latest iOS / WatchOS (17.1.1 / 10.1.1).
It worked for two days, and then the issue returned.
Yesterday I deleted the key from my watch (also verified it no longer shows in the car), and digital key using only my phone immediately worked again. Until this morning, same issue yet again. Car didn't unlock, had to hold fob to steering column to start.
So I'm in the exact same position. So, I left the iX at the dealer today and walked them through what was going on. I know it's going to be hard to replicate, but they're going to give it a shot and run diagnostics. They said they will also attempt to recreate the problem. I will let you know whatever I hear from them. Initial discussions are leading them to believe it's an iOS 17 thing. However, we have a lot of people on here using iOS 17 with no issues.
Appreciate 1
PaulJ15.00
      11-30-2023, 11:31 AM   #7
SouthFLGuy
Private
Rep

PaulJ Update - I just got my car back yesterday and they did two things: Updated the general software to 11/2023.30 and updated a control module that apparently controls the digital keys. They said they did see a fault in the system and BMW recommended these changes. It's only been one day, but the digital key is working fine. Additionally (and maybe it's my imagination), but CarPlay (if you use an iPhone) connects instantly - as in I get in the car, turn it on and it's already connected. Thish wasn't the case before, it would take a good minute or two to connect. I hope this helps you and others who are having the issue.
Appreciate 1
PaulJ15.00
      11-30-2023, 12:33 PM   #8
PaulJ
Rep

SouthFLGuy Thank you! I plan to bring my car to the dealer this week to take care of an open service action (SIB 51 06 22 / Defect Code 0051520500) and mentioned this key issue to them. I will ask them to update the control module for the digital keys as well as the overall system to the latest as I'm still running the march release. Hopefully this solves it.
I'll post here in case the issue returns after the updates.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 04:03 PM   #9
SouthFLGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
SouthFLGuy Thank you! I plan to bring my car to the dealer this week to take care of an open service action (SIB 51 06 22 / Defect Code 0051520500) and mentioned this key issue to them. I will ask them to update the control module for the digital keys as well as the overall system to the latest as I'm still running the march release. Hopefully this solves it.
I'll post here in case the issue returns after the updates.
By the way these were the fault codes they found:

FC 80497F - Limited BMW digital key function availability
FC 80421D and FC 80421C - Remote Control Receivers
Appreciate 1
PaulJ15.00
      11-30-2023, 04:21 PM   #10
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLGuy View Post
By the way these were the fault codes they found:

FC 80497F - Limited BMW digital key function availability
FC 80421D and FC 80421C - Remote Control Receivers
Can they fix the problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 06:02 PM   #11
SouthFLGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethjk View Post
Can they fix the problem?
According to BMW yes.. they consider it fixed updating these modules and the OS. We shall see - I won't be convinced until several weeks have gone by. But I can say the system is much snappier.
Appreciate 1
Kennethjk127.00
      03-27-2024, 07:58 AM   #12
nalmog
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

Did this ever get resolved? Similar to what others have mentioned on this thread, I have a 2024 X5 that I took delivery on in August 2023. Since day one, I've nearly exclusively been using the Digital Key Plus feature. Worked flawlessly since August until this week. I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 17.3.1

I don't use the auto-lock/unlock feature, but previously when approaching the car I would grab the door handle and the car would unlock fine. Similarly, upon reaching my destination I would exit the car and touch the lines on the door handle to lock the car. Starting the car was never an issue, it would start immediately so long I had my phone in my pocket.

Now, I can't lock/unlock without accessing the actual smart key or using the app (of course the actual FOB still works fine too); and I cannot start the car unless accessing the smartkey and putting my phone unlocked in the smartphone tray.

Seems like taking the car to the dealer and specifying those error codes mentioned above worked for most users? Any further assistance would be immensely appreciated.
Appreciate 0