Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninaustin View Post
So how about this:
- perform the VO coding
- pay BMW for access to the tools
- flash the modules using the tools

Is it possible this will recognize the VO & the modules as necessary while flashing?
Aside from basic coding on prior BMWs, I’m not sure how the rest of that works.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #68
grimmrad
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninaustin View Post
So either the VO coding + dealer update the other forum member did actually worked, or he is mistaken/not telling the truth about the light tunneling working …

And interesting - that same guy told me it was supported! But then he just sent me a generic link with my vin on their website
Just chatted to them and they say it can be done. I entered the VIN on the webpage and it showed up. He said no hack but proper coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 03:47 PM   #69
grimmrad
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I knew it!
Not so fast, they can (not entire URL as I removed the last line with my VIN).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-06-2023, 05:28 PM   #70
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmrad View Post
Not so fast, they can (not entire URL as I removed the last line with my VIN).
I’ll believe it after I see it!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 05:44 PM   #71
moesess34
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ix M60

Garage List
2023 BMW IX M60  [0.00]
The problem is it’s $75 to re do after each software update………
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2023, 10:28 PM   #72
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Man...I'm weary of this he said she said topic. My answer to anyone is take your car to them, get them to code it and prove that it's working. If they can, and it does work then I will eat humble pie.
      06-06-2023, 10:38 PM   #73
moesess34
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ix M60

Garage List
2023 BMW IX M60  [0.00]
Not even worth it if you have to pay for it to be re done every few months.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 06:32 PM   #74
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not to beat a dead horse, but there are definitely some minor coding items I wish we weren’t locked out of anymore. First and foremost: being able to start in sport mode or sport individual like we used to be able to do. I’ve never understood why BMW prevents you being able to do this from iDrive like you can the most of the other modes.

“It’s my battery, and I want to use it now!”
- JG Wentworth (inside joke for those of us in the US)
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 05:13 PM   #75
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
First and foremost: being able to start in sport mode or sport individual like we used to be able to do. I’ve never understood why BMW prevents you being able to do this from iDrive like you can the most of the other modes.
I believe this is related to EPA testing rule, which tests vehicle at default start up settings. If you are allowed to select which start up mode, then EPA testing has to be repeated in each mode and the worst range one would be used as the final EPA number.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 05:34 PM   #76
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I don’t recall BMW ever letting you default into sport though, even with my X3, or my M3, or my 335i. Could be similar reasoning - just for fuel efficiency rather than range.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #77
ilya4min
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Triumph XC1200

Unless I'm misreading it, there's some progress in figuring the Secure Coding 2.0 module signing as reported in this thread. This is usually the first step to enable sustainable modifications.

I don't have any experience in BMW coding, and there's a lot of jargon used there, so I might be completely misunderstanding that conversation. Perhaps more experienced folks can take a look and let us know if there's any reason to be cautiously optimistic?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:49 AM   #78
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya4min View Post
Unless I'm misreading it, there's some progress in figuring the Secure Coding 2.0 module signing as reported in this thread. This is usually the first step to enable sustainable modifications.

I don't have any experience in BMW coding, and there's a lot of jargon used there, so I might be completely misunderstanding that conversation. Perhaps more experienced folks can take a look and let us know if there's any reason to be cautiously optimistic?
I’m sorry to inform you that BMW coding is no longer possible on iDrive 8. I would provide the details, but they’ve already been covered on this thread alone multiple times. Unfortunately, our coding days are over. BMW has completely locked us out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 03:33 PM   #79
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya4min View Post

I had a look at the forum and while there is talk of files being shared it's not clear if those are for SC2.0. As far as I am aware those files are not available for offline distribution at all...

I am also not going to join another forum (and pay a fee) just to find out lol
      07-24-2023, 08:47 PM   #80
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
I had a look at the forum and while there is talk of files being shared it's not clear if those are for SC2.0. As far as I am aware those files are not available for offline distribution at all...

I am also not going to join another forum (and pay a fee) just to find out lol
hugo_nz
Shoot me a PM where you think you might find this. I belong to pretty much all of them and haven't seen anything, but admittedly haven't checked in 45-60 days. Will go peruse if you think you saw it somewhere specific
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 08:52 PM   #81
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
hugo_nz
Shoot me a PM where you think you might find this. I belong to pretty much all of them and haven't seen anything, but admittedly haven't checked in 45-60 days. Will go peruse if you think you saw it somewhere specific
The link is in his reply from the new guy…
Appreciate 1
CaboM41361.50
      07-24-2023, 08:58 PM   #82
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
The link is in his reply from the new guy…
thanks ... missed that. Posted a request for my SBR ... lets see what kind of response I get.

Scoured other threads on CT, nothing else promising as far as offline CAFD files. The two or three guys that claiming success are hardcore, longtime members/coders. I'm confident in their abilities and if they say they have a method, they surely do.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 09:00 PM   #83
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks ... missed that. Posted a request for my SBR ... lets see what kind of response I get.

Scoured other threads on CT, nothing else promising as far as offline CAFD files. The two or three guys that claiming success are hardcore, longtime members/coders. I'm confident in their abilities and if they say they have a method, they surely do.
Very interested to see the outcome of this. I’m even more interested to see if any of this coding survives an OTA update or possibly holds one up. My guess is they either hacked the encryption or got their hands on the certificate and private keys being used.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:02 PM   #84
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
I’m even more interested to see if any of this coding survives an OTA update or possibly holds one up.
I highly doubt the 1st point like any coding, all is reverted to FA-default coding upon recoding of an ECU. 2nd point is absolutely possible depending on signing method / future update signature checks to allow push / application of update
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 09:09 PM   #85
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I highly doubt the 1st point like any coding, all is reverted to FA-default coding upon recoding of an ECU. 2nd point is absolutely possible depending on signing method / future update signature checks to allow push / application of update
I can tell you that they do check for these things if you take your vehicle in with some sort of a problem. My M550 got flagged for something unrelated when I asked them to look at the ambient lighting being dimmer than it used to be. BMW told the dealership since I did coding on it that they would not pay for any repairs. Luckily my service advisor just reloaded iDrive at my request for no charge. Did not solve the problem, but I traded it in for the iX next week anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 11:00 PM   #86
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just for the heck of it, I plugged in my old UniCarScan Bluetooth adapter into my iX and launched BimmerCode (recent beta version via TestFlight) and the iX is definitely on the list of supported vehicles despite not being on the website. True to form, only the head unit can be updated with very basic functions. Here is a list of what I can change in basic mode:
Attached Images

Last edited by VirtualGuitars; 07-24-2023 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 11:02 PM   #87
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Still trying to determine if BimmerUtility is worth $109 if I already have BimmerCode with the options on the previous post…
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 10:11 AM   #88
Punisher_69
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50/2023/White

sorry if it was previously discussed: is it possible to code right external mirror angle when in R position? It falls almost down, in G-series it was an option to code the angle @ 30' for example
Appreciate 0