BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

10-17-2023, 11:39 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW EVs Will Adopt Tesla NACS Charging Standard!

BMW of North America Expands Electric Vehicle Charging Options for Customers in the U.S. and Canada with Access to Tesla Supercharger Network.
  • BMW Group to Adopt the North American Charging Standard (NACS) for its Battery Electric Vehicles in the U.S. and Canada, Starting in 2025.
  • Drivers of BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce Electric Vehicles in the U.S. and Canada Will Gain Access to Designated Tesla Supercharger Stations in Early 2025.
  • New Agreement Comes in Addition to BMW’s Commitment to Develop a New Charging Network in North America with Six OEM Partners.
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – October 17, 2023…. In a continued effort to provide the best possible electric vehicle charging experience for its customers, BMW of North America and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA announced today that drivers of BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce Combined Charging System (CCS) battery electric vehicles (BEV) in the U.S. and Canada will gain access to designated Tesla Supercharger stations in early 2025.

“With six fully electric BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce models now available in the U.S. market, and more to come, it is our top priority to ensure that our drivers have easy access to reliable, fast charging,” said Sebastian Mackensen, President & CEO, BMW of North America. “This agreement is the latest in our longstanding and continued effort to expand charging options for our customers as we continue on the road to electrification.”

The companies will work together in the coming months to create a seamless customer experience enabling BMW, MINI, and Rolls-Royce drivers to find and access available Superchargers on their vehicle’s display, and make payments through their respective vehicle’s brand app.

As part of the arrangement, the BMW Group will also adopt the North American Charging Standard (NACS) for its battery electric vehicles in the U.S. and Canada, starting in 2025.

This agreement is independent of BMW NA’s recently announced commitment, with six other automakers, to create a joint venture company that will build a new, high-powered electric vehicle charging network in North America. The new joint venture will build at least 30,000 new chargers in metropolitan areas and along major highways, which will be accessible to drivers of all battery electric vehicles from any automaker using CCS or NACS charging standards. The joint venture is expected to be established this year, subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 11
exxxviii1306.50
Road Trip1370.50
Pawtato143.50
BMWEVGuy129.00
Paladin15556.00
JSTARR142.00
      10-17-2023, 11:48 AM   #2
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
BOOM!!!!
      10-17-2023, 12:10 PM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
It was only a matter of time! Tesla owners are going to hate us, so I love it even more!
Appreciate 3
rng106.00
JSTARR142.00
      10-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Let the speculation begin…..

Will BMW offer NACS to CCS1 adapters?

What will be the cost, if any (lol)?

Will CCS1 BMW EVs be part of the “authorized” VINs to access Tesla’s Supercharger network?

….. time will tell. However happy to hear they finally joined the party and we will have future options!

Glad my home EVSEs have access to change the CCS1 cable …. Looks like we will need to switch to home NACS connectors on our 2 vehicles that will replace our iX and i7 models in a few years.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2023, 12:23 PM   #5
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Let the speculation begin…..

Will BMW offer NACS to CCS1 adapters?

What will be the cost, if any (lol)?

Will CCS1 BMW EVs be part of the “authorized” VINs to access Tesla’s Supercharger network?

….. time will tell. However happy to hear they finally joined the party and we will have future options!

Glad my home EVSEs have access to change the CCS1 cable …. Looks like we will need to switch to home NACS connectors on our 2 vehicles that will replace our iX and i7 models in a few years.
Yep, I really hope the 2nd bullet is a typo. Every other automaker had a similar statement but said their CCS cars would get access in "early 2024." But, BMW said 2025 like 5 times, so it sounds like they will be a year behind everyone else getting their CCS cars Supercharger access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW North America
Drivers of BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce Electric Vehicles in the U.S. and Canada Will Gain Access to Designated Tesla Supercharger Stations in Early 2025.
      10-17-2023, 12:26 PM   #6
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

First of all, 2025 is ridiculous when Ford and others are starting in 2024. Why the extra year? What BMW doesn't say speaks volumes... no mention of NACS adapter for CCS cars, and no mention of whether the software integration will apply to iDrive 8.5/9 only.

My prediction:
  • No adapter for CCS cars
  • No software integration for iDrive 8
  • This appears to align with recent BMW behavior
It is no coincidence that the launch date coincides with the integration of NACS hardware. BMW could have started earlier and provided adapters for current fleet. They chose not to announce that.

We 2022-2023 models are going to get screwed again, and possibly 2024 owners as well.
Appreciate 5
      10-17-2023, 01:22 PM   #7
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

lol every other manufacturer said they would provide an adapter for current owners. Not BMW of course….
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 02:27 PM   #8
BMWEVGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Audi Q7 PP

Well guys this is great news !! Now as soon as the adapter issue is resolved I will go after BMW iX.

Will go for a CPO one at good discount and then trade it in for 2026 LCI BMW iX with NACS charger. Will ensure I get 2024 iX capable for working with iDrive 8.5.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 02:36 PM   #9
BMWEVGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
First of all, 2025 is ridiculous when Ford and others are starting in 2024. Why the extra year? What BMW doesn't say speaks volumes... no mention of NACS adapter for CCS cars, and no mention of whether the software integration will apply to iDrive 8.5/9 only.

My prediction:
It is no coincidence that the launch date coincides with the integration of NACS hardware. BMW could have started earlier and provided adapters for current fleet. They chose not to announce that.

We 2022-2023 models are going to get screwed again, and possibly 2024 owners as well.
They have to give an adapter otherwise only some customers will buy MY 2025 coming out in 2024 calendar year. Majority will wait for MY 2026 which will be LCI model for iX in 2025 calendar year.

Software for route planning, charger availability shouldn't have to do anything with iDrive8 or 8.5. There is no hardware dependency there.

This is just another shitty way of releasing half information and then have a oh Shoot moment and mention something about 2022-2024 models.

If that announcement does not follow within next month or so a lot of customers can refuse to take delivery of iXs that are waiting to be released in Nov-Dec 2023 (Since BMW would have proven their intention to screw existing customers).

NomoTesla don't feel disheartened my friend. Otherwise you can always go buy a Tesla in protest

Last edited by BMWEVGuy; 10-17-2023 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2023, 02:47 PM   #10
Road Trip
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06

Sure this announcement does not have nearly all we want. However, it does have some positives within it. Glass is 1/3 full imo. At least something positive is coming. Worst case is that I might have to buy my own adapter and pay Tesla a usage fee when I pull up at their Magic Docks. To improve my iX road tripping, those are one/two things I will do.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 03:06 PM   #11
BMWEVGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Guys tell me if I am reading too much or misunderstanding but the article says:

Quote:
In a continued effort to provide the best possible electric vehicle charging experience for its customers, BMW of North America and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA announced today that drivers of BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce Combined Charging System (CCS) battery electric vehicles (BEV) in the U.S. and Canada will gain access to designated Tesla Supercharger stations in early 2025.
It is clear from bolded part above that CCS BEVs from BMW will gain access to Tesla Supercharger Network.

Now if BMW replaces charging port with NACS port then how can those vehicles be called CCS BEVs ?

On the other hand if BMW really means CCS BEVs will gain access to Tesla SC stations then that can be done via adapter only. This also implies that BMW will continue to manufacture BEVs with CCS port only.

Keep in mind there already exists a whole lot of CCS charging stations and then the stations BMW wants to build in association with other OEMs will have both CCS and NACS charging capability so will BMW really put in a NACS port or just provide adapter.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 03:10 PM   #12
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

All of the language in BMW's announcement refers to calendar year 2025, not model year 2025. Production of model year 2024 iX began in March 2023.

Thus, the announcement suggests that NACS ports won't be on the iX until model year 2026.
Appreciate 1
BMWEVGuy129.00
      10-17-2023, 03:19 PM   #13
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEVGuy View Post

It is clear from bolded part above that CCS BEVs from BMW will gain access to Tesla Supercharger Network.

Now if BMW replaces charging port with NACS port then how can those vehicles be called CCS BEVs ?

On the other hand if BMW really means CCS BEVs will gain access to Tesla SC stations then that can be done via adapter only. This also implies that BMW will continue to manufacture BEVs with CCS port only.

Keep in mind there already exists a whole lot of CCS charging stations and then the stations BMW wants to build in association with other OEMs will have both CCS and NACS charging capability so will BMW really put in a NACS port or just provide adapter.
The first bullet specifically states that BMW will adapt the NACS port starting in 2025. The other bullets and paragraphs add that BMW CCS cars will get SC access in 2025. So, it is both-and.
      10-17-2023, 03:20 PM   #14
CLLACAB
Private
Rep
Drives: MYLR - iX50 (Soon)

CCS Availability

It says right in the first paragraph that CCS cars will have access to the system. Don't over think it. Like all other manufacturers, we will have to purchase an adapter.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2023, 03:22 PM   #15
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEVGuy View Post

The announcement also says:

"As part of the arrangement, the BMW Group will also adopt the North American Charging Standard (NACS) for its battery electric vehicles in the U.S. and Canada, starting in 2025."

BMW could always go the 2 charging port route, like some Audis have. In fact there's at least some evidence BMW had envisioned the charging port to be on the driver's side from the Showroom mode demos in our vehicles (although that placement is still not optimal for Tesla superchargers):
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Road Trip1370.50
      10-17-2023, 03:40 PM   #16
BMWEVGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

exxxviii I think you are correct its an And.

Wow one they are famous last to join and second they are unable to state unambiguous adequate details so that we don't have to freaking decipher like lawyers.

I think in that case existing CCS vehicles will get access starting early 2025 via adapter and new MY 2026 LCI model which will have NACS charging port will be naturally compatible with Tesla SC Station.

And we have to wait till 2025 for this <hate that>
Appreciate 1
Road Trip1370.50
      10-17-2023, 04:21 PM   #17
Gnasher
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post

My prediction:

Hyundai Group will also only gain access in Q1 2025 for CCS1 vehicles.. Perhaps its on Tesla end?
Appreciate 1
BMWEVGuy129.00
      10-17-2023, 04:35 PM   #18
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hyundai Group will also only gain access in Q1 2025 for CCS1 vehicles.. Perhaps it’s on Tesla end?
Great callout. I did not notice that H/K/G was also a little different from the others in the timing to get CCS to Supercharger access. Jaguar, who signed a little before H/K/G, does not specify CCS access timing in their announcement.
      10-17-2023, 05:06 PM   #19
BMWEVGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Gnasher exxxviii you guys are correct.

Look at the quality of detail here, leaves very little to speculate about.

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/3952

Quote:
Hyundai Electric Vehicles to Add North American Charging Standard

North American Charging Standard (NACS) to Debut on Hyundai Models Beginning in Q4 2024
Hyundai EVs with NACS to Gain Access to 12,000+ Tesla Superchargers in North America
Hyundai EVs with Combined Charging System (CCS) Ports Will Be Able To Access the Tesla Supercharger Network via Adapter Starting in Q1 2025

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Oct. 5, 2023 – Hyundai Motor North America today announced that it is adopting North American Charging Standard (NACS) ports for its electric vehicles (EVs) in the United States and Canada. In the United States, all-new or refreshed Hyundai EVs will come exclusively with a NACS port, beginning in Q4 2024. Canada will follow in the first half of 2025. Hyundai EVs with NACS ports will gain access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the United States, Canada, and Mexico. This will double the size of the DC fast charging network available to Hyundai EV customers.

“Our collaboration with Tesla marks another milestone in our commitment to delivering exceptional EV experiences to our customers,” said José Muñoz, president and global COO, Hyundai Motor Company and president and CEO, Hyundai Motor North America. “This new alliance will provide Hyundai EV owners confidence in their ability to conveniently charge their vehicles and complements our joint venture company to create a new, high-powered charging network with at least 30,000 stations across North America.”

Tesla’s commitment to expanding its network will enhance customer access to out-of-home charging and fully support the ultra-fast charging speeds on Hyundai’s advanced Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP) vehicles, including IONIQ 5, IONIQ 6 and the upcoming EV models.

Owners of existing and future Hyundai EVs with the current CCS will have access to the Tesla Supercharging Network starting in Q1 2025. Hyundai will offer an adapter to these customers. Hyundai will also make adapters available to charge NACS-equipped vehicles at CCS chargers.

“Opening our Supercharging network to additional electric vehicles directly supports our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy,” said Rebecca Tinucci, senior director of Charging at Tesla. “We’re proud to welcome Hyundai as the latest adopter of the North American Charging Standard.”

Expanding access to Tesla’s vast Supercharger network furthers Hyundai’s strategy of ensuring EV drivers have the broadest possible charging infrastructure available. As previously announced, Hyundai is also partnering with six of the world’s leading global automakers to develop a new, high-powered North American charging network with at least 30,000 chargers. The first U.S. stations in this new network are targeted to open in the summer of 2024, and in Canada at a later stage.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      10-17-2023, 05:46 PM   #20
bmwix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ix

So until 2025 or MY26, no BMW EV will have NACS.
By then, there will be more than 150K BMW EV in NA with CCS.
Wholesale adapter cost: $120+$20 warranty
Software maintenance cost: $40
Corporate/dealership cost: $20
The question is: Will BMW NA have $30M budget to offer free adapter to every EV in NA since 2022? This will clearly cut into their bottom line without real financial gains. Or will BMW NA charge $500 for the adapter which they can net $45M profit.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 06:26 PM   #21
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
It's no coincidence that those companies that had deals with EA to provide 2-years free DC fast charging were taking the longest to do the NACS deal. I'd speculate that BMW are paying an average of $500/car for this benefit for us. So they need to account for this transition so they screw over customers who still expect this benefit.

I for one would gladly pay $500 myself for an adaptor if it would give me two years free Supercharging at Tesla stations! Wouldn't you?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 06:35 PM   #22
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

So for those speculating about the cost of a NACS to CCS adaptor, there's a readily available comparison. Tesla has been selling a CCS to NACS adaptor for quite a while for $175:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter
Appreciate 0