BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-10-2024, 09:44 PM   #1
HybridLA
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Specific route driving tips / battery usage

Excited to pick up my 2024 iX tomorrow (Monday 11 March). Ill be transitioning from a 2021 xDrive45e.

As this is my first electric car is there a spot to get specific route driving tips and a sense of potential battery usage?

As an example in August I'll be driving from Los Angeles to Paso Robles (405 to 5 to 46). While it's only 201 miles there is a pretty steep incline heading west on 46. I have no idea how that will effect battery usage for an iX loaded with baggage in August.

Does this forum offer insight on what I can expect? Should I charge off the 5 at Los Hills (Tesla) or not? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:36 AM   #2
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Don't overthink it. Let the Nav tell you if you need to charge, and where to charge if needed. If BMW charged you to 100%, you can just drive home normal.
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      03-11-2024, 10:36 AM   #3
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

A couple of great apps are PlugPower and ABRP. You can load your vehicle; your level of SoC % prior to leaving; your SoC % comfort level before wanting to charge when traveling, etc. I also use the EA app to look at the condition of the chargers I’m planning on visiting, as if 2 out of 4 are out of commission, I will explore other local L3 options.

You can just input your destination into the BMW Navigation system and it will do most of the work for you, and perhaps it’s all you need in an area of multiple DCFC charging options, but a little bit of homework before setting off in the area of the country where I live is a great anti-anxiety process.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 04:13 PM   #4
HybridLA
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
A couple of great apps are PlugPower and ABRP. You can load your vehicle; your level of SoC % prior to leaving; your SoC % comfort level before wanting to charge when traveling, etc. I also use the EA app to look at the condition of the chargers I’m planning on visiting, as if 2 out of 4 are out of commission, I will explore other local L3 options.

You can just input your destination into the BMW Navigation system and it will do most of the work for you, and perhaps it’s all you need in an area of multiple DCFC charging options, but a little bit of homework before setting off in the area of the country where I live is a great anti-anxiety process.
Thank you! That's really helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:28 PM   #5
HybridLA
Private
No_Country
Rep

Does the native BMW navigation system, when computing battery usage on a trip, take into account changes in elevation and the resulting possible changes in temperature?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:14 AM   #6
jono987654321
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40 (Late 2022)

It’s been quite accurate for me. You can set a required minimum %age SOC at the charger and at the destination. Seems to err on the side of caution, typically arriving at stops with 1 or 2% more than estimated.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 10:56 AM   #7
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridLA View Post
Does the native BMW navigation system, when computing battery usage on a trip, take into account changes in elevation and the resulting possible changes in temperature?
On my road trip a few months ago I found the in-vehicle routing to be overly optimistic regarding SOC. It overestimated my arrival SOC by 5%-10% when driving through the mountains in inclement weather. That's a big difference when you are trying to squeeze out every mile and minimizing charge stops. It is not as accurate as my Tesla was.

I ended up compensating for this by increasing the arrival SOC in the navigation settings. I figure once I get used to how things work I'll get better at estimating.
Appreciate 0