BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-25-2024, 05:43 PM   #23
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
I don’t charge to 100% because that affects regen and one pedal driving.
It does not. One pedal driving works just like it does at lower SOC. I just charged to 100% and the car still brakes when I let up on the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:00 PM   #24
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
It does not. One pedal driving works just like it does at lower SOC. I just charged to 100% and the car still brakes when I let up on the accelerator.
You’re certain it is not using friction brakes like other automakers? How did you confirm it?

It’s cool if it does that, but it is not magic. They would have had to oversized the battery to fake being at 100% for regen to work. I have not read anywhere that BMW reserves additional capacity to allow full regenerative braking at 100% SOC, that’s why I’m skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:00 PM   #25
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Was speaking to an experienced bmw employee who had an IX. He said don't quote me on this but apparently if you are stranded with a depleted battery and believe you need a few miles to get to a charger a call to bmw can remotely unlock some of that reserve range. Again I Don't know if it's true and I hope I won't ever have to find out.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:24 PM   #26
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
You’re certain it is not using friction brakes like other automakers? How did you confirm it?

It’s cool if it does that, but it is not magic. They would have had to oversized the battery to fake being at 100% for regen to work. I have not read anywhere that BMW reserves additional capacity to allow full regenerative braking at 100% SOC, that’s why I’m skeptical.
I don't know how it's doing it, but it feels the same. The next time I need to charge to 100% I'll see if there is any actual regen happening. Even if it's using friction brakes, it still feels and behaves the same in one-pedal and is transparent to me.

Teslas didn't do this until 2022 and it was always a peeve of mine. Whenever I charged to 100% there would be no braking—friction or regen—in single pedal. I don't think it's safe when such a critical function changes how it behaves.

BMW did an excellent job with blended braking in the iX.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:36 PM   #27
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
You can look at your instantaneous power consumption and the Regen meter on the dahboard to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:04 PM   #28
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
You can look at your instantaneous power consumption and the Regen meter on the dahboard to confirm.
If the 100% SoC is fake, why would you think the regen meter is real? BMW might do some things to avoid owner confusion and Genius calls.

It is curious to think about how big the battery really is. Consumer Reports got an extra 30 miles past 0%, so that is 9% unreported battery capacity. Then, if BMW needs at least another 5% above 100% to support full regen, that is at least 14% phantom battery capacity. Do the math, and it is a 120 kWh battery that is functionally usable while invisible.
      03-25-2024, 07:18 PM   #29
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
If the 100% SoC is fake, why would you think the regen meter is real? BMW might do some things to avoid owner confusion and Genius calls.
It makes sense to show you 100% when you charge the portion of the battery the company deems useable to you. It doesn't make sense to fake the instant power consumption and regen meter.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:24 AM   #30
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:

It is curious to think about how big the battery really is. Consumer Reports got an extra 30 miles past 0%, so that is 9% unreported battery capacity. Then, if BMW needs at least another 5% above 100% to support full regen, that is at least 14% phantom battery capacity. Do the math, and it is a 120 kWh battery that is functionally usable while invisible.
EPA testing protocol requires that the car be driven until it is completely discharged, not only until the range estimate hits zero. BMW's EPA figures already include range beyond zero as part of their EPA figures. BMW also publishes the full battery capacity as 111.5 kWh. I don't think BMW would be misstating that figure. I read that BMW increased the usable capacity from 105.2 kWh to 106.3 kWh for 2024.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:34 AM   #31
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
EPA testing protocol requires that the car be driven until it is completely discharged, not only until the range estimate hits zero. BMW's EPA figures already include range beyond zero as part of their EPA figures.
While technically true, this is a bit of a non sequitur fallacy. BMW's EPA range and efficiency numbers appear to be sandbagged by around 20% (maybe more). And EPA range is not really relevant to this discussion.

Consumer Reports conducted their 70 MPH test and found the car got about 30 miles beyond 0%. Edmunds conducts an EPA protocol simulation test that is a great foil for published EPA numbers. They do not run to empty but extrapolate when about 10 miles remain. Edmunds got 377 miles in their test compared to BMW's stated EPA range of 315 miles.

But EPA, BMW, Edmunds, nor Consumer Reports has talked about how large the battery is, how much "reserve" it has at 0% (well, CR kinda did), how much unused capacity it has above 100%, and ultimately, the point of this sub-thread, whether the car does actual regen at 100% or uses friction brakes to simulate regen.

Last edited by exxxviii; 03-26-2024 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2171.50