BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-26-2024, 07:56 AM   #1
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

IX arrived earlier then expected...

Hey everyone. My IX is arriving today even though I was expecting her to arrive around April 15th.

I only have an appointment with electrician on April 13th to do the electricals and install a wallbox on the side of the house (decided to go with Emporia)

However if I dont want to wait 2 weeks and take the car this week I will have to be using the Electrify America chargers. What is the setup like to get free charging? I am going from an X6M ice car to my first EV and would like the smoothest possible transition. Thanks in advance, will post photos of the car as soon as I have it
Appreciate 3
Paladin15556.00
LVBMW1326.50
      03-26-2024, 08:00 AM   #2
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Hey everyone. My IX is arriving today even though I was expecting her to arrive around April 15th.

I only have an appointment with electrician on April 13th to do the electricals and install a wallbox on the side of the house (decided to go with Emporia)

However if I dont want to wait 2 weeks and take the car this week I will have to be using the Electrify America chargers. What is the setup like to get free charging? I am going from an X6M ice car to my first EV and would like the smoothest possible transition. Thanks in advance, will post photos of the car as soon as I have it
It took me a couple weeks to get the EA charging account setup.

But, you should have no issues just charging with the included L1 charger on a normal 110 V outlet. It is slow, but if you charge it every day, you can easily keep up. This is what I did when I got my first BEV and did not get my home L2 EVSE installed until a month later.

Edit: Oh, and congratulations on the early arrival. You will absolutely love it!

Last edited by exxxviii; 03-26-2024 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:23 AM   #3
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

I had no problem with my EA account…I set up the account through the BMW app and my first charge occurred 5 days after I took delivery last October. I could have charged sooner except the dealer charged my IX to 100% for delivery and I didn’t need a charge. Initially I had to initiate charging through the BMW app. Within a month or so an EA token showed up in the onboard charging portal which, once accepted, made it possible to simply plug and charge at EA. Search this forum for more details. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:35 AM   #4
buddenfan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
I had no problem with my EA account…I set up the account through the BMW app and my first charge occurred 5 days after I took delivery last October. I could have charged sooner except the dealer charged my IX to 100% for delivery and I didn’t need a charge. Initially I had to initiate charging through the BMW app. Within a month or so an EA token showed up in the onboard charging portal which, once accepted, made it possible to simply plug and charge at EA. Search this forum for more details. Congrats!
Oh its done through BMW app? I didnt know. I downloaded the EA app and was wondering on this screen where the 2 year free lease options are
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:52 AM   #5
buddenfan
Captain
Rep

I just added the vin to my BMW but how do I set up the free charging?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:00 AM   #6
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
I just added the vin to my BMW but how do I set up the free charging?
You probably cannot set it up until you sign the contract and the F&I Guy sends your info to BMW/EA.

In the BMW App, click "Charging" from the main window. then scroll down to "Services" and you should see "Electrify America." Click on that and follow the instructions to activate it.
      03-26-2024, 09:20 AM   #7
Tigershark321
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
You cannot set it up until you have acquired the vehicle - it is not a VIN number, it is a build number, and don't lose it if you need to reactivate it. Do not leave the dealership until they set it up with you through the BMW app. I have now seen it many times in this forum that people are leaving the dealership without having everything set up. They probably won't deliver the car with 100% battery so just take a BMW genius with you to the nearest Electrify America station to show you the process. It is not hard once someone shows you because it is a step-by-step process until Plug and Charge activates in your car in the days to couple weeks it becomes available within the vehicle's system to toggle on. I still don't have L2 charging in my garage installed yet and it doesn't affect my life in any way to drive to the grocery store, plug in, get groceries (with a timer going on my phone), and come back to the vehicle to end the charge and leave. You do not have to pay E.A. monthly fees and the only reason to have the EA app is to see how occupied the charger is ahead of time (more real-time than what the car gives).

The first time I went to charge the vehicle alone I went to my nearest station at 6:30 AM so no one was around to make sure I could do it alone.

Lastly, congratulations on getting one, and you should be excited to get it earlier than waiting additional months. I have seen you through the forum tossing and turning on the decision. Having a knowledgable BMW Genius is most important because many do not have this car and many staff and personnel do not understand anything about the settings that relate to how the car functions sadly within the dealerships.

Last edited by Tigershark321; 03-26-2024 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:21 AM   #8
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark321 View Post
You cannot set it up until you have acquired the vehicle - it is not a VIN number, it is a build number, and don't lose it if you need to reactivate it. Do not leave the dealership until they set it up with you through the BMW app. I have now seen it many times in this forum that people are leaving the dealership without having everything set up. They probably won't deliver the car with 100% battery so just take a BMW genius with you to the nearest Electrify America station to show you the process. It is not hard once someone shows you because it is a step-by-step process until Plug and Charge activates in your car in the days to couple weeks it becomes available within the vehicle's system to toggle on. I still don't have L2 charging in my garage installed yet and it doesn't affect my life in any way to drive to the grocery store, plug in, get groceries (with a timer going on my phone), and come back to the vehicle to end the charge and leave. You do not have to pay E.A. monthly fees and the only reason to have the EA app is to see how occupied the charger is ahead of time (more real-time than what the car gives).

The first time I went to charge the vehicle alone I went to my nearest station at 6:30 AM so no one was around to make sure I could do it alone.
THIS^^^^
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:05 AM   #9
buddenfan
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Lastly, congratulations on getting one, and you should be excited to get it earlier than waiting additional months. I have seen you through the forum tossing and turning on the decision. Having a knowledgable BMW Genius is most important because many do not have this car and many staff and personnel do not [...]
Thanks for all this!
Activating plus and charge is specifically for the free charging? I just want to make sure I can charge at EA withiut issue until my home charger is installed (even if I have to pay at EA) I just dont want to have road anxiety thinking I will be stranded with a dead car lol
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:17 AM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Shell Recharge is also now available through the app (not free), and includes Shell Recharge,
Shell SKY EV Technology, EVgo, EVConnect, BLINK and ChargePoint, with more to be added.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:27 AM   #11
Tigershark321
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
You will be fine. You can refine the navigation in the car and the app to prioritize Electrify America stations so you can guarantee routed trips will go there. How I explained it to someone is when you are on empty in a gas car you have zero clue how much you really have left but at least with an EV you can see the percentage and range at the same time and at least have confidence at 10% you can still drive quite a ways around town. Just remember your most optimal DC-CCS charging sessions will be when the battery is most depleted and not sitting at 40% (and shouldn't really consider charging at that point honestly).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:41 AM   #12
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all this!
Activating plus and charge is specifically for the free charging? I just want to make sure I can charge at EA withiut issue until my home charger is installed (even if I have to pay at EA) I just dont want to have road anxiety thinking I will be stranded with a dead car lol
Plug and charge and the free EA charging are different things, but plug and charge just makes using the free charging earlier. As others have said, do it all through the BMW app and not the EA app. It’s very simple to setup. And congrats on the early arrival.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:49 AM   #13
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Despite a reference above regarding dealers and 100 percent SOC, I was told the BMWNA requires dealers to charge new EVs to 100 percent upon delivery. In any event, mine was delivered at 100 percent SOC. And yes, do not leave the dealership until your EA charging rights have been linked to you and the vehicle. Also yes, set it all up under the BMW app, not the EA app. Take a deep breath. There's a bit of a learning curve, but you'll be fine.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:11 PM   #14
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Despite a reference above regarding dealers and 100 percent SOC, I was told the BMWNA requires dealers to charge new EVs to 100 percent upon delivery. In any event, mine was delivered at 100 percent SOC. And yes, do not leave the dealership until your EA charging rights have been linked to you and the vehicle. Also yes, set it all up under the BMW app, not the EA app. Take a deep breath. There's a bit of a learning curve, but you'll be fine.
Mine too was charged to 100% at the dealership before delivery.
Appreciate 1
Kennethjk127.00
      03-26-2024, 03:46 PM   #15
Tigershark321
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
What I meant to say, and I realized it didn't come out that way. Is when you take it out to drive it around with the Genius to just understand the basics just deplete part of the battery a couple of percent and then while they are in the car with you have a visit to a near by EA station.

Budden, what color did you finally end up deciding
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #16
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What I meant to say, and I realized it didn't come out that way. Is when you take it out to drive it around with the Genius to just understand the basics just deplete part of the battery a couple of percent and then while they are in the car with you have a visit to a near by EA station.

See his screen shot posted above. I think he decided on BRM. That's assuming there is a nearby EA station and that there is not a wait to charge and that you find a working charger. A tall order...
Appreciate 1
buddenfan664.00
      03-26-2024, 05:26 PM   #17
buddenfan
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Blue Ridge Mountain with bronze trim and the 22’ black wheels with bronze trim
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:30 PM   #18
buddenfan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Shell Recharge is also now available through the app (not free), and includes Shell Recharge,
Shell SKY EV Technology, EVgo, EVConnect, BLINK and ChargePoint, with more to be added.
Assuming thats level 2 sharging at certain Shell stations?
Shockingly in New York City there isnt many EV charging stations as you would think there’d be
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 06:39 PM   #19
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Assuming thats level 2 sharging at certain Shell stations?
Shockingly in New York City there isnt many EV charging stations as you would think there’d be
L2 charging is in the majority in most cities (exception Tesla), but larger CCS networks are opening, and with the addition of the Tesla SC network that will essentially double DCFC.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 06:42 PM   #20
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
On a sobering note if you haven't watched the news, the closure of Baltimore Harbor is likely to delay BMW arrivals for some time, as well as many other brands, not to mention the regional financial and humanitarian disaster. There are other ports, but prayers for everyone involved, and hopefully the infrastructure is repaired timely.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2024, 07:20 PM   #21
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

My car is being delivered tomorrow so will have to do the EA info myself.

Process may be a touch different as I already have an EA for my Mach E. I see the instructions BMW sent me is 2 ways, one if a new account and one where you are already enrolled in EA and BMW premium offer which is not exactly my case.

Will see how easy it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:16 PM   #22
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
On a sobering note if you haven't watched the news, the closure of Baltimore Harbor is likely to delay BMW arrivals for some time, as well as many other brands, not to mention the regional financial and humanitarian disaster. There are other ports, but prayers for everyone involved, and hopefully the infrastructure is repaired timely.
I wondered about that when I saw the news. Prayers…yes.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00