E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Weird rattle

09-18-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Weird rattle

Coming from the center climate control / shifter / idrive area, sounds like two sticky plastic parts rubbing against each other. The weird thing is, it's only there for the first 5 mins after I start driving, then it disappears completely.

I'm not going into service to for this. In fact, I'm not planning on going into service for any type of rattle if they shall surface, I've learned my lesson from going after every rattle: fix one, two more pops out. But I'm just wondering: anybody else got this weird rattle?

EDIT: this is a rough-road only rattle.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 06:45 AM   #2
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
nope
      09-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
the*saint*
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Xens, I hear you about not going to the dealership to service rattles unless you want more of them as a result.

For the first couple of days after picking up my car, i had a subtle rattle just below the climate controls. I think it was in the area of the CD slot and Nav DVD slot. I remember gently pressing that console area from the bottom edge (upward direction) to see if i could shift the plastic panels at all. I don't know if it has any long-term effect but fortunately, the rattle has yet to resurface.

Does it sound like the rattle is deep inside your dash/console? If not, have you tried to rest your hand on various panels to see what pressure (if any) would silence the rattle?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the*saint*
Xens, I hear you about not going to the dealership to service rattles unless you want more of them as a result.

For the first couple of days after picking up my car, i had a subtle rattle just below the climate controls. I think it was in the area of the CD slot and Nav DVD slot. I remember gently pressing that console area from the bottom edge (upward direction) to see if i could shift the plastic panels at all. I don't know if it has any long-term effect but fortunately, the rattle has yet to resurface.

Does it sound like the rattle is deep inside your dash/console? If not, have you tried to rest your hand on various panels to see what pressure (if any) would silence the rattle?
I tried pushing various parts without success, everything is very very tight. My guess: AC tubes rattling against each other.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

Your cars totaled just buy a new one-lol jk if it’s really a problem take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball pete
Your cars totaled just buy a new one-lol jk if it’s really a problem take it to the dealer
Nah was just wondering if anybody else has this, compared to ALL the rattles I've gone after in my life, this is very minor.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #7
topsouls
Private
Rep
Drives: TiAg 325i

Hey Xens, I have that exact problem!! Only happens when I drive on a rough road at about 30+ mph. Took it to the dealer and they didn't reproduce it, so I will reschedule for a road test with the service tech to let him know in person. I will let you know what they say/do.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #8
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsouls
Hey Xens, I have that exact problem!! Only happens when I drive on a rough road at about 30+ mph. Took it to the dealer and they didn't reproduce it, so I will reschedule for a road test with the service tech to let him know in person. I will let you know what they say/do.
Cool, thanks!
Appreciate 0