Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Help with Tag Heuer/Oris/Hamilton watches (need to choose one)

Posted this on another site because this one was down . Anyway, I like watches, but haven't justified spending a fortune in the past when your cell phone tells you the time more accurately . But I've always been fascinated by mechanical movements, and decided to buy my first expensive (to me) watch as my 48th birthday present . Want the best value (which is not always the most expensive) with a true automatic chrono movement (not those piggyback ones). Since I'm a casual (and simple) guy, my 3 choices in order of preference are (strap versions): Tag Heuer Carrera day-date chrono, Oris TT3 chrono, and Hamilton Khaki X-wind (pics below). They can roughly be purchased for $2,500, $1,600, and $900, respectively, so you can visualize their relative value.

My question is if any of you know of a watch website where I can compare those 3 brands? It'd be great to find a place where all brands are discussed, to hear from unbiased opinions from actual owners. All I found after googling them like crazy was a few 'reviews', which were nothing more than listing features (big deal), but found several negative comments about Tag Carrera Chrono buttons falling off. And nothing about Oris or Hamilton, which sell a lot less watches, to be fair.

The Hamilton is my third choice because I'm not a pilot, and prefer the more traditional chrono with tachymeter scale, but it's the cheapest, and has the same Valjoux 7750 movement as the others. But probably looks less refined than the others in person (that's where actual owners come in). Oh, and at 44mm, it's the biggest I'd buy. Actually prefer about 40mm, but most are larger than that (no biggie).

Finally, will probably buy from 'authentic watches' (they advertise on Ebay with almost 8K of perfect feedback, and can use my c/c) since they sell way cheaper than authorized dealers, plus nobody has any of those in town anyway (special order). Watches have their full warranty, but the only drawback (don't mind) is watch has to be sent back to them so their dealer can send it to the factory; a small price to pay for 36 to 52% savings. I'm open to comments and suggestions, since I just started looking into watches, and have a ton to learn, so maybe some of you can educate me on other desirable features (and their benefits) not usually listed, like screw-on crowns, etc. With those 3 watches, you pretty much get the idea what I want (black strap and bezel chrono); just need to choose the best value for my money. Thanks folks.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

My good friend has had a Carrera chrono basically since its inception and has had zero problems with it, as well as no problems reported from two of his co-workers who have it. I personally have the non-chrono Carrera () and i love it. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have waited and saved for the very watch you posted. Good luck with your decision!
      12-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Sorry for not writing a detailed response, but I have no experience with Hamilton or Oris. But, I do very much like my Tag. It has kept perfect time in the 8 years of ownership. It may be the most expensive, but also has the best brand recognition.

I think you should also look at Omega like the one below. I believe its about as much as that Tag. Omega was also the first watch on the moon. Good Luck.

(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Amongst several other things, I've got a couple Tags and a that same Hamilton (except with the brown strap).

The regular carrera and the hamilton you've shown have identical movements in them which you've noted. The Hamilton is a good value because its parent company (the swatch group) owns ETA who is the manufacturer of the valjoux movement. Because of that Hamilton watches are some of the best value out there for quality pieces at great prices.

As far as build quality goes, the Hamilton is just as nice if not nicer than my Tag Monaco, and is definitely on par with my Aquatimer. The applied dimensional numbers and the small pips of lume give the dial a really great depth. It also has a domed sapphire crystal which looks really nice and adds a great deal to the depth. The only other watch I've got that is more interesting to look at is my Panerai 176, but that's obviously in a much different league. Seriously though... the Hamilton is that good. 44mm is large, but the watch is very comfortable to wear and I still get compliments on it after nearly 4 years of ownership... it is my casual go-to watch and it still runs like a top. Out of the three you've chosen I'd pick the Hammy every time.

I can't speak to Oris because I don't own one, but they get pretty good play on the watch forums.

You, might try www.bluedial.com www.ashford.com or even amazon (if the watch ends up being fake they'll refund your money).

If you need some further info on each of the brands you my try stopping by www.watchuseek.com or www.timezone.com. They've got dedicated forums to each of these brands.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

go with tag
      12-31-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
If you need some further info on each of the brands you my try stopping by www.watchuseek.com or www.timezone.com. They've got dedicated forums to each of these brands.
That was exactly what I was looking for; many thanks. Hope to find answers to all the general automatic watch questions I have. And thanks for the great advice as well. Hamilton seems to have a chrono for everything with a motor except cars. Seems poseur to have a pilot's watch when I'm not one. If it just had a tachymeter scale rather than the airplane stuff, but they don't make one. But yes, those 'Hammis' definitely look sturdier than the other 2. Part of the fun is searching, and after not having a nice watch after 47 years, I'm not in a hurry .

Thanks to all others who contributed as well. And keep the comments and suggestions coming .
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

speaking of watches.. look what i got today! came with rubber strap but instantly i put the zulu and it looks really nice.
the watch is like a tank

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

this chrono will beat all of you mention. price is $2750
http://www.countycomm.com/CSAR.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
this chrono will beat all of you mention. price is $2750
http://www.countycomm.com/CSAR.htm
Love marathons.... that chrono is HUGE.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Me and my wife have had Tags for years and they have been great. I thought I wanted an Oris, but when I put the one on that I liked, it was HUGE on my wrist. I am not a petite guy either, but the thing was like a brick on my arm.

My next "good" watch will be an IWC...I love the simple, clean style of those watches. It's of course a matter of personal tastes and needs, but all those dials on the chrono's drive me nuts (in a bad way) and I will never ever use them.

I still wear a watch to tell the time, it's easier than pulling out the cell phone. Plus, like you, I like the mechanical aspect of watches and the tradition of it. It's cool and old school.

The one below isn't the band I want, but the face is what I like. That band is too busy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Lately, I've become pretty interested in Breitling watches.

Heres the Breitling Chronomatic 49.

Though, I should note the Breitling is about twice as expensive, and they also aren't sold officially online. In fact, the Breitling homepage has a warning up about not buying one of their watches on the internet.
      12-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

I've had bad experiences with Breitling, so I'd stay away...

I don't really like TAG either, I wasn't exactly amazed with their precision, my friend had a quartz one and the second hand wouldn't align exactly with the markers...

If you want a good chrono, I can recommend the Moonwatch, in other words the Omega Speedmaster. But, to be honest, I'd only get that in manual wind as a true fan

IWC pilot chrono isn't bad, but its based on the Valjoux 7750, and the rotor is quite loud, movement outdated AFAIK...

As you're on this forum, you could probably appreciate the heritage behind a Rolex Daytona, but that may be out of your price range.

Hm... what else... Well, you may want to look into Ebel, they're not that well known, but make quality watches.

Another one of my favorite chronographs is the Breguet Aeronavale - but again, prolly out of your price range.

Maybe Ball Hydroengineer or whatever its called? Apparently, it has good lume, considering its a tritium watch.

Of course, there's the big players... AP, VC, PP, JLC... wouldn't it maybe be better to wait till your 50th bday, save up, and get something like a Patek Nautilus? Or the VC overseas is very nice, but in the matt version (don't like the polished one, the flatness + diameter throws it off for me)

I dunno, just throwing out some ideas...

Oh year, and if you get the speedmaster, don't forget, next time you're going for a watch, there's the Seamaster... IMHO an ideal black/blue combo...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post

I don't really like TAG either, I wasn't exactly amazed with their precision, my friend had a quartz one and the second hand wouldn't align exactly with the markers...

If you want a good chrono, I can recommend the Moonwatch, in other words the Omega Speedmaster. But, to be honest, I'd only get that in manual wind as a true fan

IWC pilot chrono isn't bad, but its based on the Valjoux 7750, and the rotor is quite loud, movement outdated AFAIK...

As you're on this forum, you could probably appreciate the heritage behind a Rolex Daytona, but that may be out of your price range.

Hm... what else... Well, you may want to look into Ebel, they're not that well known, but make quality watches.

Another one of my favorite chronographs is the Breguet Aeronavale - but again, prolly out of your price range.

Maybe Ball Hydroengineer or whatever its called? Apparently, it has good lume, considering its a tritium watch.

Of course, there's the big players... AP, VC, PP, JLC... wouldn't it maybe be better to wait till your 50th bday, save up, and get something like a Patek Nautilus? Or the VC overseas is very nice, but in the matt version (don't like the polished one, the flatness + diameter throws it off for me)

Oh year, and if you get the speedmaster, don't forget, next time you're going for a watch, there's the Seamaster... IMHO an ideal black/blue combo...
Would you please elaborate on your experience with Breitling?
      12-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I've owned a TT3 for a couple years and really enjoy the watch. One of the best bands(rubber) of any watch I've tried. And the watch nicely contours to your wrist rather than sitting like a block.
Definitely a good daily wear watch.

If you're thinking about purchasing online check out Topper Jewelers(call for pricing) or WorldLux. I've purchased from both and they're great stores that offer excellent discounts.
Best part is they're both authorized dealers for Oris. Topper is also authorized for Tag and Hamilton.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post

I really like my Speedmaster professional (moon to mars) but I wouldn't get it for a daily wear kinda watch. The stainless band marks up easily and the hesalite crystal scratches super easy. You can pay more for a saphire but I think they're hundreds more.

Ball is a really good brand as well and the luminosity is awesome. Definitely a unique watch. I like the Dive Master series. Especially the GMT model.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
I thought I wanted an Oris, but when I put the one on that I liked, it was HUGE on my wrist.
Hey man, now that you mention that, even 44mm is probably too big for my wrist of only 7". What size is the TT3? I probably have to reconsider the maximum size to probably 42mm max, no? Comments welcome.
Hey found this one I really like, and less than a grand with a Valjoux 7750, but at 45mm, forget it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
this chrono will beat all of you mention. price is $2750 http://www.countycomm.com/CSAR.htm
Awesome watch man, but at 46 to 52mm, out of the question for my puny 7" wrist. But thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Lately, I've become pretty interested in Breitling watches.
That is a beautiful watch too. What size?

And yes, I obviously like more expensive watches like the IWC Portuguese chrono (), but will stick to my self-imposed $2.5K budget. I'm not the party or social type, so can't justify more than that. Besides the name recognition, it's basically the same movement and all, just less jewels, no? Thanks to all again, and keep the comments coming if desired. I'll be happy to read everything you guys throw at me .
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
...the hesalite crystal scratches super easy. You can pay more for a saphire but I think they're hundreds more.
I wonder how much extra it is?

I had to get my saphire replaced when I sent my Seamaster in for service earler this year, it was only $90 to replace it.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #18
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
I had to get my saphire replaced when I sent my Seamaster in for service earler this year, it was only $90 to replace it.
Hey, talking about the Seamaster, I liked the 'Moon Phase' model since it resembles the onces I posted initially, but 'manual wind' movement? WTH? Don't understand why if you can manually wind an auto if you happen to go to the moon, no? I like a mechanical movement, but contrary to cars, I prefer auto winding on watches since you have both options.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

I wear a 45mm Panerai Radiomir on my 7 in wrist and it looks fine. it's not the diameter of the watch that matters, it's the thickness. if you get a large watch that is too thick and stands too high off your wrist, then your small wrist will stand out like a sore thumb. try a bigger watch that is thinner, and it will not acceuntuate the size of your wrist. i think you need to pay a visit to your nearest AD and try some different size watches just to see what looks good on your wrist.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
Maxtor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi sedan

Try "The Rolex Forum" website. TRF covers more than Rolex (goes deep on Omega, Breitling, etc.) and have people who will give lots of great advice on different brands. Also a good "For Sale" section for used watches. The tone of the website reminds me a lot of e90post... very helpful community.

Good luck with your search...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #21
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Feyd: are all hamiltons with auto movements valjoux movements?
      01-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #22
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Would you please elaborate on your experience with Breitling?
Well, 3 people I know well (family/colleagues) have had Breitlings...

1st was a Breitling quartz (don't know the model name, it's like Emergency, but without the antenna). Not worn for about 2 years, battery taken out. After 2 years, new battery installed. After about 1/2 year, the hand time starts slowing down behind the digital time (by about 30 mins/day). They get fixed for about $300. Runs OK after that.

Colleague's Breitling Colt, auto movement, doesn't keep its rated accuracy. Total service cost $600, as a bonus half of the watch's internals in a zip-loc bag, to look at before you go to bed.

Another colleague also has a Breitling, and it has been in for service due to timekeeping.

All in all, 3 serviced watches is a bit too high in my books. I was a big fan of the Navitimer before this happened, as of now, I have turned my interests to other brands.
Appreciate 0