BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #23
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

I wouldn’t. Unless you spend A LOT of time in your garage, think you would find a better use for the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #24
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Don't heat it unless you want to work there. As others noted, heated garages increase the rust (salt isn't corrosive if frozen in ice), it will also attract rodents. I'd check w/ Tire Rack about the storage temps - IIRC there are some tires that will be damaged by freezing, even if off the car (I know I've heard this for racing tires, but thought there was also s/t about this for some performance street tires). A couple of 2x2 sheets of plexiglass and you've got a keen new set of matching end tables .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #25
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Ketchup View Post
It's hilariously narrow, so can't park my 6er in it and open the doors. Would only be able to enter/exit car via convertible roof.
Sounds like you need R/C parking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Ketchup View Post
Talking about heated garages, what about heated driveways and walkways?

My aunt's house had this back in the 70s and was considered 'new age'. Was really nice for melting snow in the winter and having warm patio around the swimming pool on cool autumn nights.
I simply live places where I'm not expected to go outside when there is snow/ice on the ground.

We did consider putting a heating element in our bathroom floor but decided we didn't want to have to maintain that system or deal with it if it broke. A couple bathmats proved to be just as functional and immensely easier to replace.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #26
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Why not just insulate it real well to start? You have to do that anyway if you want to heat it. Even a detached garage will be warmer than the outside if insulated.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #27
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
I have a sink in my shop. I used to heat it until I got the bright idea to route the air compressor into the water line so I could blow out the water. I installed a shut-off valve and a dump valve under the house and put the air to it. Works well if I remember to do it.
      01-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #28
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Why not just insulate it real well to start? You have to do that anyway if you want to heat it. Even a detached garage will be warmer than the outside if insulated.
bc insulation doesn't generate heat, it just retains it. If it's cold outside and nothing is generating heat inside, it'll be cold inside*

* not accounting for heat put out by a hot engine cooling down, or any retained heat from direct sunlight.

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #29
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
bc insulation doesn't generate heat, it just retains it. If it's cold outside and nothing is generating heat inside, it'll be cold inside*

* not accounting for heat put out by a hot engine cooling down, or any retained heat from direct sunlight.
Yesterday my detached garage was about 15 deg warmer inside than outside air temp. Maybe a very slight gain from sunlight, but no other heat source.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:30 AM   #30
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Insulate it and set it up for heat. This provides you multiple options.

1. You can keep the space at a cool 40 degrees for the cars. Warm enough to allow the cars to start right up without inducing unnecessary ware. cool enough to not kill your gas bill for the heating.

2. It provides you an environmentally controlled sanctuary to hide in, change the cars' oil during winter, or just plain do guy stuff like watching football while reloading (you'll need to route in a cable connection and buy a reloader).

3. Resale value increases when potential buyers see the garage as a space for hobbies and other activities.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #31
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

No but you should use your wife's hair dryer on your balls after a shower and when she asks: what are you doing? You say: heating your dinner.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:38 AM   #32
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

My garage is not heated but I wanted to do some work in there yesterday. Left the door to the house open and plugged in a cheap space heater for 15 mins. The temp came up from low 40s to mid 50s (and kept getting warmer as I worked).

I can live with doing that the handful of times each winter I want to be working in there. What would really be great is a big ceiling fan to keep air moving in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #33
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

I might end up rebuilding the garage (knew that going into the purchase). if i do that, i'll insulate it and put in proper heating. i kind of what a second, transparent door facing the yard so i can keep it open when i'm in there during the summer i can get sunlight / air without having to keep all my shit on display to the alley..

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0