BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #67
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

it really isn't that cold in the NE. yet many NJ schools cancelled school...or delayed the opening...its jsut as cold as it was an hour and half ago lmaoo. boneheads
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:40 AM   #68
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
Tried changing my battery out and my fingers froze off.
How'd you type this then? Did you peck at the keyboard with your nose or something?

Guys...it isn't that cold. It is cold, but not the end of the world by any means, and it is warming up next week / this weekend.

And xQx - don't nobody want to go to your country. Not after seeing that Huntsman spider in the other thread. Nice try at introducing fresh prey for them, but we're smarter than that.
Appreciate 3
Kyngofpop676.00
PA135ii236.00
xQx902.50
      01-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #69
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
it really isn't that cold in the NE. yet many NJ schools cancelled school...or delayed the opening...its jsut as cold as it was an hour and half ago lmaoo. boneheads
I was surprised how little traffic there was this morning from NY to NJ. I think a lot of people stayed home. It was cold, 2 F with -11 wind chill when I left home. Nothing compared to the midwest and our friends to the north.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #70
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
How'd you type this then? Did you peck at the keyboard with your nose or something?

Guys...it isn't that cold. It is cold, but not the end of the world by any means, and it is warming up next week / this weekend.

And xQx - don't nobody want to go to your country. Not after seeing that Huntsman spider in the other thread. Nice try at introducing fresh prey for them, but we're smarter than that.
I swear the vast use of social media just allows mass hysteria in this country. POLAR VORTEX....DELAY school openings....for what purpose?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #71
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

all the schools are closed here, they actually made the announcement yesterday
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:21 AM   #72
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I got an amber alert type of alert on my phone last night. From my gas company.. Telling me to turn my heat down to 65F. LOL

I didn't realize that utility providers had access to spam people.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      01-31-2019, 09:36 AM   #73
PA135ii
seeking salvation
Rep
Drives: 18 Camaro SS 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank851 View Post
I moved to North Miami beach from outside Philadelphia in 2004. Never looked back and you'd have to pull me out of here like a tooth to get me to leave. Ride my motorcycle daily to work on sunny days and revert to my coupe on the days that it's raining in the morning. Still follow the Eagles.
Fly Eagles Fly!!
That's cool Frank. Thanks for the reply. I live 40 miles NW of Philly. This morning it was -6 degrees when I left for work. We are expecting a high of 15 today. But the extended forecast has Tuesday with a high of 57 degrees!!!

I'm a big Eagles fan too. Last year was unreal. We finally have a good coach. Stay warm.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #74
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Pouring rain and lightning/thunder!!! I love this shit! Just wish I could be outside getting drenched instead of waiting for the power to fail
      01-31-2019, 10:22 AM   #75
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Yesterday we had a high of -20*F with a real feel of -45*F. Today we have a high of -23*F and a real feel of -50*F with the wind chill. Salt isn't deicing the roads (too cold for salt to activate or something). They say more than 3-5 minutes outside and you'll develop frost-bite. 10+ minutes and you'll require medical attention.

My E70 X5 barely started both days. The battery is dying so certain features don't work. Three water pipes in my house froze, so I don't have running water to my bathroom sink or toilet. One of those three pipes cracked last night, so I have a water leak behind one of my walls. Shut off water to the bathroom, will have to fix when it warms up.

Still driving in to work both days, at least my work is providing a warm chili and salad bar for lunch today.

🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 2
lakefront560.50
David0ff1056.00
      01-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #76
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
It was -20C here this morning in Southern Ontario, warming up to a -13C during the day. Thankfully my car is garage kept but she starts okay sitting in the cold too. I think the trunk mounted battery helps.

For all those living in Florida and Arizona, how do you enjoy the summers? I was in Florida in the summer for business and wow, I remember being blasted with a wave of humid air so hot when I arrived, and the locals told me this is normal. Where I am, we have a great Spring and Summer can get hot and humid 30C+ but typically its in the 20Cs with some days humid other days not and there are plenty of beaches and pools close by.

As for Arizona and Nevada, summer is bat shit hot, its true the dry heat helps but there is also no beaches. I did go to Lake Mead but that was the only option I am aware of.
I really liked Tuscon but Phoenix with all the concrete was so hot during the day, it was like a ghost town.

Just curious how the people from the warm climates deal or enjoy the summer? As for California, I will admit, it has the perfect climate; its just becoming so liberal, overpopulated and taxed.
While I have never lived in a cold place, we have visited cold places many times, and I'm not even talking this Mars level shit.

It's soooo much easier to deal with the heat than it is with the cold. First of all even in the hottest damn day in FL I can still go outside in my tshirt and shorts and if I'm out there too long or start doing stuff I may break a sweat. If I do that on Mars I die. Shit I could die just walking to my car on Mars unless I'm suited up.

Other options when its hot are staying inside (similar to Mars), going to the beach or pool. Doing whatever you normally do when it's not super hot just make sure to have extra water and a dry shirt to change into after you get drenched in sweat. Now given this is only like 4-6 months out of the year. The rest of the time the weather is perfect.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #77
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

-30C with the windchill today. Walking the dog this morning, this is the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario, view from the Canadian side, just across the street from my home. The view is Fort Niagara and USCG Station Youngstown NY. Feckin' cold today,
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M_Six16798.00
      01-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #78
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
-30C with the windchill today. Walking the dog this morning, this is the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario, view from the Canadian side, just across the street from my home. The view is Fort Niagara and USCG Station Youngstown NY. Feckin' cold today,
But it must be so sweet living there in the summertime. Awesome area. Some damn fine wineries in those parts.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      01-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #79
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
While I have never lived in a cold place, we have visited cold places many times, and I'm not even talking this Mars level shit.

It's soooo much easier to deal with the heat than it is with the cold. First of all even in the hottest damn day in FL I can still go outside in my tshirt and shorts and if I'm out there too long or start doing stuff I may break a sweat. If I do that on Mars I die. Shit I could die just walking to my car on Mars unless I'm suited up.

Other options when its hot are staying inside (similar to Mars), going to the beach or pool. Doing whatever you normally do when it's not super hot just make sure to have extra water and a dry shirt to change into after you get drenched in sweat. Now given this is only like 4-6 months out of the year. The rest of the time the weather is perfect.
I'm somewhat the opposite. I can't stand the heat. Anything above ~80F, especially if it's humid, is pure misery for me. I spent a summer at Johnson Space Center and suffered the entire time. People there would think nothing of eating out on the deck of a restaurant even though it was in the mid-90's and humid as a sauna. I would be sitting there with sweat literally dripping off my chin. I'm happiest when the temps are in the 60-70F range.

-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 01-31-2019 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2019, 01:04 PM   #80
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
But it must be so sweet living there in the summertime. Awesome area. Some damn fine wineries in those parts.
I walk around town everyday with my dog and I can't believe how beautiful the town is. We live in the Historic District. The weather here is generally not this cold. We have the sprig flowers coming up in mid February usually. In fact we had spring flowers coming up around Christmas. One of the reasons we moved here is that it has about the most moderate weather in eastern Canada. My wife is taking a Sommelier course right now in prep for her retirement in 30 months.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16798.00
      01-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #81
PA135ii
seeking salvation
Rep
Drives: 18 Camaro SS 08 CR-V

I talked to a guy that lived in Alaska and he told me that they won't let the kids outside for recess if it's below 10 degrees. Here in the lower 48 we seem to close schools at 15 degrees... lol
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #82
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I walk around town everyday with my dog and I can't believe how beautiful the town is. We live in the Historic District. The weather here is generally not this cold. We have the sprig flowers coming up in mid February usually. In fact we had spring flowers coming up around Christmas. One of the reasons we moved here is that it has about the most moderate weather in eastern Canada. My wife is taking a Sommelier course right now in prep for her retirement in 30 months.
We need an Envy emoji.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #83
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I was surprised how little traffic there was this morning from NY to NJ. I think a lot of people stayed home. It was cold, 2 F with -11 wind chill when I left home. Nothing compared to the midwest and our friends to the north.
I was one less nj to nyc commuter today. The 1 mile walk from Penn Station to my office in a windy 1° was very unappealing.
      01-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #84
Ivan Ivanov
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: X1, X3

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #85
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Just curious how the people from the warm climates deal or enjoy the summer? As for California, I will admit, it has the perfect climate; its just becoming so liberal, overpopulated and taxed.
As someone who moved from somewhere with cold winters (25-50f temps) and bloody hot summers (110f days) to somewhere with a climate like Florida, I can answer that comprehensively

First, there are two kinds of hot days; there's tropical hot (90f with 95% humidity), and there's Aussie outback hot (110f+ with 0% humidity) depending on where you live.

Aussie Outback hot is best dealt with using an evaporative cooler. They're cheap to run, work best with the doors open and work wonderfully in weather with low humidity. Most houses have one of these, and most people just stay indoors. When it's 110+ and there's a breeze, it offers zero relief, it just feels like you're standing in the sun and somebody's blowing a fan-heater in your face. If you have a job that requires you work outside, you just stay in the shade. It's still hot, but you kinda get used to it (and drink lots of water or throw water over yourself to keep cool). If you work in a shearing shed or on a mine site in this weather .. you're f*cked. Long story short: You stay out of the sun.

Tropical Hot requires a proper air-conditioner to actually cool down. People in suits stay indoors. They go from an air-conditioned house to an air-conditioned car then to an air-conditioned office. The rest of us wear T-shirts or tank tops, shorts and flip-flops. After a couple of years you find all that's needed in 90f weather is a ceiling fan. As long as the air's moving, you remain quite comfortable. I remember my wife saying when we first moved here "Everybody's got air conditioners in their house, but nobody bloody uses them! What's wrong with theses people?" ... the answer is after a couple of years you acclimatize and don't want to pay the electricity bill. At night though, (if you're remotely sane), you use an air-conditioner in the bedroom to cool and de-humidify the room while you go to sleep. Long story short: The reason you see so many people outside during the day in tropical areas is - as long as there's a breeze and you're dressed appropriately, you acclimatize remarkably quickly and your biggest concern is sunburn, not heat.

Nights in the tropics are delightful though. Day or night, rain or shine, the temperature stays very constant. You can go out at 10am in shorts and a T-shirt, drink all day and all night outside then walk home a 3am in the same shorts and T-shirt completely comfortable. If it rains you get wet, not cold. When it gets dark, you turn on a light - it still doesn't get cold. None of this packing fifteen layers of clothes for if it rains or gets dark.

I will add one last thing, about Australian Beaches - DON'T GO ON THE BEACH BETWEEN 10AM and 5PM in SUMMER!

Not because the blue-ringed octopuses, sharks or stonefish are trying to kill you, but because it's f*cking hot and full of people.

If you must swim, go to the pool. If you want to relax, go shopping or find a bar with beach views. Sit in the shade and watch the bloody idiots get their ears full of sand and turn into sunburnt tomatoes.

Australian Beaches are wonderful at dawn and dusk; or in the middle of the day in winter. It's warm enough to swim; it's much quieter (sometimes you can be the only person on the beach from horizon to horizon), and you won't instantly get fried to a f*cking crisp by the sun. Most Australians, and almost all tourists don't seem to ever catch on to this.

Again, you can easily tell who's hired a convertible and who owns one up here. The hire cars are out in the middle of the day in summer with their roof off, and driving down the highway at night all closed up. The locals have the exact reverse habits - open roof driving in the early morning, evening and night - and pretty much anytime in winter when it's not raining.
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      01-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #86
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I learned some hard lessons with my Z4 droptop the first summer I had it. I worked 50 miles straight north, so the sun would always hit the right side of my face on my way to work. Then in the afternoon, heading south, it was again hitting the right side of my face. I looked like some movie villain with half my face beet red and half white.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
xQx902.50
      01-31-2019, 06:51 PM   #87
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Let it snow...... somewhere else
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #88
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

so freakin' cold my truck barely started tonight and it's a new battery
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0