BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

08-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #177
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
If you thought that whole deal with Kavanaugh was bad, imagine what crap the left will pull after RBG kicks the bucket and Trump gets his third nominee.

She should go home and spend the rest of her time with family. She's obviously not healthy enough to uphold her duties.
Well, if she makes it past November, then Congress should refuse to vote on any confirmations until after the election, right? The "Biden Rule" that was never an actual rule, that the Repubs in Congress cited so much in 2016 and all....
well, my advice to Mitch McConnell in that event would be simple:

"what would Harry do?"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #178
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
The Republicans will not let another circus play out. It will be a woman this time. Dems will have to be really creative. You can bet there are a couple jurists in the wings that have been megavetted.
we should start a rumor that DJT has a secret plan to nominate Mark Levin....should be good for three or four hundred Leftist strokes before breakfast tomorrow.
Appreciate 4
Run Silent13348.50
MKSixer20205.00
Torgus2166.00

08-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #179
adc100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
"what would Harry do?"
Yep..Dems are the ones that did away with the 60 vote rule for judges
Appreciate 2
Poiseuille4012.50
MKSixer20205.00

08-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #180
Eriphill
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
we should start a rumor the DJT has a secret plan to nominate Mark Levin....should be good for three or four hundred Leftist strokes before breakfast tomorrow.
Lol. And follow up with 'Sean Hannity is being awarded the Medal of Freedom.'
Appreciate 3
Poiseuille4012.50
MKSixer20205.00
F32Fleet1716.00

08-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #181
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:

"what would Harry do?"

Sure. Integrity is a choice, at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #182
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

"what would Harry do?"

Sure. Integrity is a choice, at the end of the day.
i'm going out on a limb here and guess you didn't see an "integrity" issue when Harry Reid went nuclear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #183
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
i'm going out on a limb here and guess you didn't see an "integrity" issue when Harry Reid went nuclear.
And you'd be completely wrong, again.

We're comfortable with the lowest common denominator, now? If you don't expect better, you'll never get better.

I'm not hopeful, but I would love to see a better class of politician, personally. Excusing away bad behavior only enables more of the garbage we've been getting.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede9108.00

08-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #184
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And you'd be completely wrong, again.

We're comfortable with the lowest common denominator, now? If you don't expect better, you'll never get better.

I'm not hopeful, but I would love to see a better class of politician, personally. Excusing away bad behavior only enables more of the garbage we've been getting.
Democrats were FOR the filibuster when that position was to their benefit, then AGAINST the filibuster when THAT was in their interest, and they did this without even blushing. now, as your original post suggested, they should reverse their position yet again all while invoking ideals of "integrity".
don't get me wrong, i think you're absolutely right: that's exactly what they'll do.
and they'll all express shock and righteous indignation at the possibility that Republicans might do exactly what Democrats would do, and did do. they will assume that the GOP will do what it's always done: cave in the face of NYT editorials.
heres why now is different from then: no one, outside of Brooklyn, cares any longer what the NYT says.
i'll end with this from the same WAPO article as above, where the date of publication is shown if you'd care to read the whole piece.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #185
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Democrats were FOR the filibuster when that position was to their benefit, then AGAINST the filibuster when THAT was in their interest, and they did this without even blushing. now, as your original post suggested, they should reverse their position yet again all while invoking ideals of "integrity".
don't get me wrong, i think you're absolutely right: that's exactly what they'll do.
and they'll all express shock and righteous indignation at the possibility that Republicans might do exactly what Democrats would do, and did do. they will assume that the GOP will do what it's always done: cave in the face of NYT editorials.
heres why now is different from then: no one, outside of Brooklyn, cares any longer what the NYT says.
i'll end with this from the same WAPO article as above, where the date of publication is shown if you'd care to read the whole piece.

I made no mention of the Dems position on, well, anything.

I commented on McConnell's and the GOP's position. Care to address that?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #186
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I made no mention of the Dems position on, well, anything.

I commented on McConnell's and the GOP's position. Care to address that?
here's your post. you suggested that Congress ( i assume you meant to type 'Senate') should refuse any confirmations until after the election. the only way that happens is as the result of filibuster, which is why i invoked Harry Reid's Nuclear Option.

unless you think McConnell should go along with it because why? because that's what the Democrats, paragons of integrity that they are, would do? come on.....
the Democrats were warned in 2013 not to do it, and for exactly the reasons you and i are discussing right now. but they did it anyway. for three Circuit Court appointments.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #187
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
here's your post. you suggested that Congress ( i assume you meant to type 'Senate') should refuse any confirmations until after the election. the only way that happens is as the result of filibuster, which is why i invoked Harry Reid's Nuclear Option.

unless you think McConnell should go along with it because why? because that's what the Democrats, paragons of integrity that they are, would do? come on.....
the Democrats were warmed in 2013 not to do it, and for exactly the reasons you and i are discussing right now. but they did it anyway. for three Circuit Court appointments.
Read my post again, slowly if need be. Then consider the fact that I've stated multiple times that I'm talking about Republicans specifically.

I'm sure you'll suss out what I meant eventually.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #188
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

the Democrats were warmed in 2013 not to do it, and for exactly the reasons you and i are discussing right now. but they did it anyway. for three Circuit Court appointments.
Read my post again, slowly if need be. Then consider the fact that I've stated multiple times that I'm talking about Republicans specifically.

I'm sure you'll suss out what I meant eventually.
ok, I'm comfortable leaving this discussion where it is so I'll just declare you the winner and move on.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #189
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
ok, I'm comfortable leaving this discussion where it is so I'll just declare you the winner and move on.
If McConnell and the Republicans move forward with a confirmation during an election year, they'll be hypocrites based on what they said during the 2016 Garland kerfuffle.

Clear enough? I'm not sure how else to say it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #190
adc100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
If McConnell and the Republicans move forward with a confirmation during an election year, they'll be hypocrites based on what they said during the 2016 Garland kerfuffle.

Clear enough? I'm not sure how else to say it.
All we can do is view the possible upcoming situation. None on this board can know whot one's position would have been in the past. What we do know..and lets not be niave..As you said "Bidens Rule was never an actual rule".. If the Dems were in the position the Repubs may find themselves in they would confirm one of their own. Lets not pretend its rocket science.

No one is breaking any law..just like the Dems didn't break any law by dismissing the precedent of needing a 60 vote majority to end a filibuster for Jurists.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet1716.00

08-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #191
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
All we can do is view the possible upcoming situation. None on this board can know whot one's position would have been in the past. What we do know..and lets not be niave..As you said "Bidens Rule was never an actual rule".. If the Dems were in the position the Repubs may find themselves in they would confirm one of their own. Lets not pretend its rocket science.

No one is breaking any law..just like the Dems didn't break any law by dismissing the precedent of needing a 60 vote majority to end a filibuster for Jurists.
I never claimed any law was being broken and I never claimed the Dems wouldn't do the same thing, if given the opportunity.

I specifically said it's a matter of integrity.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer20205.00

08-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #192
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:

I never claimed any law was being broken and I never claimed the Dems wouldn't do the same thing, if given the opportunity.

Politics and integrity in the same sentence makes me
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 3
MKSixer20205.00
cmyx6go3614.50

08-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #193
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Politics and integrity in the same sentence makes me
Me too, sadly.

As I said, though: "If you don't expect better, you'll never get better."
Appreciate 2
MKSixer20205.00

08-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #194
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:

No, my friend...it's Realpolitik.

The Dems created a weapon without regard to what would happen if they lost the majority. Now they're stuck with it. It's more of a cautionary tale than a moral exercise.

Cheers-mk

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.

Last edited by MKSixer; 08-27-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
      08-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #195
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
No, my friend...it's Realpolitik.

The Dems created a weapon without regard to what would happen if they lost the majority. Now they're stuck with it. It's more of a cautionary tale a moral exercise.

Cheers-mk
It's not the point that the GOP can do it, though.

The point is that McConnell (and the Senate Repubs) huffed and puffed and wrung his hands and pointed to the "Biden Rule" in order to justify not doing it, when it was politically expedient. If the reasoning was justified and valid then, it should be justified and valid now.

Again, I have no illusions that the Senate Repubs will actually show that level of integrity should a SCOTUS seat open up during the 2020 election year. That we have low expectations doesn't make it less hypocritical, however.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer20205.00

08-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #196
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
It's not the point that the GOP can do it, though.

The point is that McConnell (and the Senate Repubs) huffed and puffed and wrung his hands and pointed to the "Biden Rule" in order to justify not doing it, when it was politically expedient. If the reasoning was justified and valid then, it should be justified and valid now.

Again, I have no illusions that the Senate Repubs will actually show that level of integrity should a SCOTUS seat open up during the 2020 election year. That we have low expectations doesn't make it less hypocritical, however.
You're a good man. Most that post here are good people and wouldn't conduct themselves as our elected officials do on an almost daily basis.

What we are/have been experiencing, especially with regard to congress, is a largely unaccountable body. There are no real consequences for not carrying out the will of the people vs the will of the respective parties be they "D", "R" or the occasional "I".

What happens to the majority party if they run amok? They MAY get voted out of power and the individual members who MAY HAVE lost their seats will get a cushy consulting job, go to a law firm as a senior partner or go to a lobbying firm selling influence/stuff to the very body they were booted out of by the citizenry. All VERY soft and cushy landings which make them nearly 100% unaccountable. They're like the banks. If banking laws didn't compel banks to serve the general public, they wouldn't go near us but for mortgages and Private Banking services. Everything else is a loser.

If there is a choice for looking for integrity in congress vs hunting for snowballs in hell, sign me up for the excursion to hell.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
Torgus2166.00
Run Silent13348.50

11-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #197
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

This headline pop up on google

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/23/u...pitalized.html

I always thought it must be awful being well known in a position of power at any given moment you have 1/3 of the people in the know in a total panic that you may kick the bucket. While another 3rd waiting in great anticipation.

Regardless good to hear she pull thru.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet1716.00