BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-19-2023, 06:12 PM   #45
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

Quote:
Originally Posted by D52M550 View Post
Thank you for the well-written replies! Lots to think about. But answer this: why don’t the electric versions look as good as the ICE cars? And that’s across the board in manufacturers, with Tesla being the worst offender!
Porsche Taycan looks nicer than the Porsche Panamera.

Also I think the IX looks better from most angles vs the x6 (rear still bugs me). And interior wise in the right spec I think the IX is better than my x5 m50i although I do prefer the leg bolstering or the x5.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 07:14 PM   #46
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic8 View Post
Obviously you are not old enough to remember the Greta Thunberg of the 1970’s. We are all supposed to be dead right now.

California BRAGS about their EV usage, yet their infrastructure is crap. People wait HOURS to charge because they don’t have their own homes.

EV’s are incompatible with people that do not have their own home. Simple as that. Your guess about oil reserves carries no more weight that Greta’s tweet that we would be dead by 2023.
Actually I'm likely older than you - by a lot. And I'm fairly familiar with Greta, who is not exactly a shining example of prognostication, but more of a histrionic child. And my statement has nothing to do with climate change, global warming, or any of the dozens of mislabels placed on natural geologic and cosmologic cycles, with which I have more than a passing familiarity and training to support. My statement is not a guess, but the actual reality of where we stand globally with fossil fuels and petroleum reserves, from a number of well thought out and valid analyses not directly supported by the petroleum industry. And you may have already realized that petroleum is probably the most researched and analyzed natural resource that exists.

At the current and predicted rate of consumption, with our current technology, and not including stored reserves, we will run out of liquid petroleum beneath the surface of the land and sea in approximately 53 years. Give or take. Natural gas and coal, for about double that, but when liquid petroleum decreases the use of these resources will increase, so that may be optimistic. That can be changed with new technology, which is a hope, or new sources, which is a fond hope, but the most accurate forecasts support about half a century of oil, globally. And then it's gone. And it takes anywhere from a million years to 60 million years to make more - we aren't exactly sure because we have no empirical measurements on that time cycle. But the near certainty is that humanity as we know it won't be around to harvest the new crop. Several organizations have published data, but here's a synopsis of several sources in one shot, with references if you care to study them yourself:

https://ourworldindata.org/fossil-fuels

So take the information as you will, and it's not intended to be alarmist, but it may or may not have struck you as interesting that most automobile manufacturers have proposed substantially electrifying their fleet over the next one to three decades. The automobile industry is hip and thigh connected peripherally to the petroleum industry for obvious reasons, with engineers who can read data for themselves. I can propose to you it's not because of an altruistic streak to save the planet, but coincides remarkably to when the cost of running automobiles on gasoline will become prohibitive to making cars that run on it.

More concerning, as you indicated earlier, is that natural petroleum is used to fabricate a multitude of materials and devices that basically make civilization go - from fertilizers to increase crop yields, to essential drugs - and not just to propel us in our personal transportation. The world is going to run out of oil, not in centuries but decades, even if the predictive math is fuzzy on the exact day. And we collectively have done not very much to date to accommodate that fact, which will influence us far more than just not hearing that beautiful V8 fire up. Just making more EVs - or some alternative - won't fix that, but as a philosophical gesture it helps, and can maybe even push that date a decade or so further down the road, until we can find more permanent solutions to what will endanger humanity far more than Greta's predictions that the penguins will fall through the ice.

Last edited by Paladin1; 03-19-2023 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 07:28 PM   #47
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
More concerning, as you indicated earlier, is that natural petroleum is used to fabricate a multitude of materials and devices that basically make civilization go - from fertilizers to increase crop yields to essential drugs - and not just to propel us in our personal transportation. The world is going to run out of oil, not in centuries but decades, even if the predictive math is fuzzy on the exact day.
We drill for oil today because it requires less energy to mine it than the energy we obtain from it. One day, when the easily extractable crude runs out, that equation will flip, and the remaining crude will mostly be used as a raw material, not an energy source.

At least, that is what should happen if free markets are allowed to dictate the results. If governments cave into pressure to continue to subside fossil fuel use or extraction, well...
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      03-19-2023, 07:33 PM   #48
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
California BRAGS about their EV usage, yet their infrastructure is crap. People wait HOURS to charge because they don’t have their own homes.
You obviously haven't experienced a Costco gas line before a holiday (or any given Saturday really).
Appreciate 3
ricerboi809.00
Paladin15457.50
Pictor1558.50
      03-19-2023, 07:37 PM   #49
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
We drill for oil today because it requires less energy to mine it than the energy we obtain from it. One day, when the easily extractable crude runs out, that equation will flip, and the remaining crude will mostly be used as a raw material, not an energy source.

At least, that is what should happen if free markets are allowed to dictate the results. If governments cave into pressure to continue to subside fossil fuel use or extraction, well...
That is absolutely correct. And I've pointed out previously that the price of crude oil, eventually, won't be calculated in barrels, but gallons, or liters. Or ounces. Not even needing to point out that the "things" and techniques we use currently to extract oil run on, well, oil....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:16 PM   #50
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And apologies for ranging so far afield in the OP's thread - re-the hole in the seats, spouse has the same problem. We got the BMW plug, but really cheap (not in price!), but (mostly) resolved with a standard headrest pillow and removing half the stuffing. BMW really could do better.

Last edited by Paladin1; 03-19-2023 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:19 PM   #51
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Except when you're never going to be able to buy DE blades again after you use the last one, and you still have a supply of electricity to charge up your Norelco, the choice becomes easier. Or you could use a straight razor (the equivalent of a horse I suppose), and just learn to hone and strop it yourself (feed, care for and saddle, and just get there a lot slower without expending any external energy).
The analogy is flawed as a good old DE razor is much better at its task than the modern electric ones. I order my DE blades on Amazon for super cheap and even my least agressive DE razor shaves better than any electric, let alone compared to a three pass shave using my Mühle R41. An electric razor is just quicker and harder to mess up with and viewed as convenient.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      03-19-2023, 09:24 PM   #52
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
The analogy is flawed as a good old DE razor is much better at its task than the modern electric ones. I order my DE blades on Amazon for super cheap and even my least agressive DE razor shaves better than any electric, let alone compared to a three pass shave using my Mühle R41. An electric razor is just quicker and harder to mess up with and viewed as convenient.
The analogy wasn’t about the merits of blade vs electric (and I routinely use both). The analogy was, no blades, no shave. So you're left with a DE handle and nothing to put in it. . Which would, undoubtedly, not shave as well as an electric. And back to EVs, props to the OP for a great review of what I regard as one of the best EVs on offer today, although it is a mite challenging to shave with it.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2360.00
      03-19-2023, 09:42 PM   #53
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
The analogy wasn’t about the merits of blade vs electric (and I routinely use both). The analogy was, no blades, no shave. So you're left with a DE handle and nothing to put in it. . Which would, undoubtedly, not shave as well as an electric. And back to EVs, props to the OP for a great review of what I regard as one of the best EVs on offer today, although it is a mite challenging to shave with it.
Admittedly this was not how i read your comment but now that you point it out, i get what you meant.

My comment was more directed at the original razor comment below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick123 View Post
I think the hole dispute between evs and ice cars are like electro shaver or old school razer blade

😊
But I'll admit that to most people, the quality of the shave is not very important and that they do view the electric razors as better, so I'll stop there.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      03-20-2023, 03:01 AM   #54
Yorick123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Obviously you are not old enough to remember the Greta Thunberg of the 1970’s. We are all supposed to be dead right now.

EV’s are incompatible with people that do not have their own home. Simple as that. Your guess about oil reserves carries no more weight that Greta’s tweet that we would be dead by 2023.
Haha.
My family still think that driving ev is not good for my health
Radiation bla bla bla

But they are joking about that…

Maybe it is illuminati decided to make our lifes shorter🤪
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      03-20-2023, 10:39 AM   #55
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

I love the fact that I can smoke the coal roller in the next lane, leave him in my electron dust, and do it in a sustainable and zero-emission manner. All things that fly a mile over the head of a coal roller, which is why they are the hands of society while we are the brains.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 12:09 PM   #56
ricerboi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i, G30 M550i, iX 50i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX 50i  [8.50]
Anyone else enjoy the added ninja ability to accelerate/drive in a…spirited/aggressive manner (+/- within legal limits) and not draw any unwanted attention?
Appreciate 2
Pictor1558.50
      03-20-2023, 01:47 PM   #57
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerboi View Post
Anyone else enjoy the added ninja ability to accelerate/drive in a…spirited/aggressive manner (+/- within legal limits) and not draw any unwanted attention?
That one still surprises me even driving pervious M550i or M850i. I love a sleeper. Some people think noise == speed and it's baffling. The stealthy nature of EV's means I can still shred without drawing any attention.
ricerboi809.00
      04-01-2023, 04:27 AM   #58
Yorick123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just made calculations

For 38.000 km I saved around 4500 eur in fuel bills compare to running petrol car
Appreciate 5
NewBe15.00
ricerboi809.00
Paladin15457.50