Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

03-11-2023, 07:57 PM   #1
guy_incognito1420
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3, i4 M50

Garage List
Acceleration triggered my fiancée's PTSD

Almost a week into ownership and the SO and I were running errands this morning and I told her that I hadn’t had a chance to really go wide open on the accelerator and if it was ok if I tried it on the on ramp to the highway. She said sure.

I throw it in Sport Boost mode and give it a go. Immediately she begins screaming and crying so I had to stop and pull over.

About six weeks ago, she was sitting at a red light driving back from work and a drunk driver hit her going approximately 80 mph in a 45 mph work zone.

She’s had trauma related to sitting at stop lights and people driving aggressively and she’s been improving but today was the first time she’s dealt with crazy acceleration and it wasn’t great. Hope she doesn’t regress but we both understand recovery will take a long time from a mental aspect.

She’s going to talk to her therapist about it next week, in the meantime I told her to document it for her attorney as he works with insurance to make sure she’s properly compensated for all the expenses and suffering from all this.

I can’t stand dead beat drunk drivers. This was his second DUI within a month too.
Appreciate 3
deutsch1003942.00
Technic2283.00
EdM54064.50
      03-12-2023, 05:19 AM   #2
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M50, E71 40dx, E46 330 vert

Two types of drivers I can’t stand are DUI (either drink or drugs) and handheld mobile phone use whilst driving.

I hope that she gets over this, however as you say, it’s going to take a while (and maybe not so much ‘G’). I’m glad that she suffered no serious physical injuries at the hands of the selfish drunk. Some people just don’t get it and don’t care that they are putting other people at risk of serious harm, physically and mentally.

Last edited by Space Cadet; 03-12-2023 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 4
      03-12-2023, 12:54 PM   #3
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_incognito1420 View Post
Almost a week into ownership and the SO and I were running errands this morning and I told her that I hadn’t had a chance to really go wide open on the accelerator and if it was ok if I tried it on the on ramp to the highway. She said sure.

I throw it in Sport Boost mode and give it a go. Immediately she begins screaming and crying so I had to stop and pull over.

About six weeks ago, she was sitting at a red light driving back from work and a drunk driver hit her going approximately 80 mph in a 45 mph work zone.

She’s had trauma related to sitting at stop lights and people driving aggressively and she’s been improving but today was the first time she’s dealt with crazy acceleration and it wasn’t great. Hope she doesn’t regress but we both understand recovery will take a long time from a mental aspect.

She’s going to talk to her therapist about it next week, in the meantime I told her to document it for her attorney as he works with insurance to make sure she’s properly compensated for all the expenses and suffering from all this.

I can’t stand dead beat drunk drivers. This was his second DUI within a month too.
Oh man, Im so sorry for her and for you. That's awful!
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #4
guy_incognito1420
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
Oh man, Im so sorry for her and for you. That's awful!
Thank you.

It’s been a process. We’re very fortunate she walked away from the crash given it basically destroyed both cars but the mental trauma it causes is pretty bad.

It sucks because she knows it’s not rational but her brain just goes nuts and she gets severe anxiety over things that trigger the PTSD. Rapid acceleration is one of those things we learned.

We’re flying out to MA in a few weeks, we both hope the PTSD won’t be triggered on a plane. I don’t think it will but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 03:52 PM   #5
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Thank you.

It’s been a process. We’re very fortunate she walked away from the crash given it basically destroyed both cars but the mental trauma it causes is pretty bad.

It sucks because she knows it’s not rational but her brain just goes nuts and she gets severe anxiety over things that trigger the PTSD. Rapid acceleration is one of those things we learned.

We’re flying out to MA in a few weeks, we both hope the PTSD won’t be triggered on a plane. I don’t think it will but you never know.
My daughter had an accident that deployed airbags in her car.

The PTSD is a real thing. Took her a while to get back behind the wheel.

All the best to you and your fiancee.
      03-12-2023, 07:13 PM   #6
guy_incognito1420
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post

I’m happy to hear your daughter is doing well post crash.

We’re optimistic she’ll get there, just sucks we had the set back. In hindsight I should’ve known better.

I’ve never been in a car that’s this fast, I should’ve tried it on my own.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 07:47 AM   #7
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
I’m happy to hear your daughter is doing well post crash.

We’re optimistic she’ll get there, just sucks we had the set back. In hindsight I should’ve known better.

I’ve never been in a car that’s this fast, I should’ve tried it on my own.
It took a while. My daughter is about two years post crash.
      03-13-2023, 08:00 AM   #8
guy_incognito1420
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's good to know. We'll just take it a day at a time.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 04:27 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:

Indeed - all the best you and your fiancée. Time and patience …
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2023, 08:50 AM   #10
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
My ex-wife was in a 1-car crash on NY day 2000 due to the failure of a control arm, and still has flashbacks occasionally, when she's in a car. I feel like it's just a hard-wired defense mechanism. I wish both of the folks here restful recovery.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2023, 07:24 PM   #11
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

People who put OTHERS at risk against their will SUCK. If you want to risk your own life, go parachuting. I get angry when ppl drive like asshats around me.

Hope she is able to get better.
Now, have you gotten out there and properly launched it yet by yourself or what?
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 08:08 PM   #12
guy_incognito1420
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
People who put OTHERS at risk against their will SUCK. If you want to risk your own life, go parachuting. I get angry when ppl drive like asshats around me.

Hope she is able to get better.
Now, have you gotten out there and properly launched it yet by yourself or what?
Thanks and not yet. Haven’t had a proper opportunity since.

As the weather gets warmer I’ll take it out and give it another go. It’s been pretty cold the last couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #13
cupholder
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

So sorry to here this, I hope it fades soon for her.

As others have said, there is just no excuse for inconsiderate reckless driving (tailgating, not driving to the conditions, etc.) - there is a time and place for everything.

My wife and youngest (13) won't let me use the car full accelleration when they are in the car. Even on the test drive, they got out and left me and my eldest to enjoy the g-force.

Maybe a bot of pot and kettle there, but I like to think I drive responsibly...
Appreciate 2