BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Performance Driving School Recommendations

I've loved driving my new i8 in the mountains and canyons of Southern California for the last several months, but recognize that my driving skills limit how hard I feel comfortable pushing the car on the twisties. That's the result of having driven SUV's and sedans for the last decade or so.

I'm considering signing up for a performance driving school (e.g. BMW CCA HPDE) and would like to get your thoughts on this. I fully realize the i8 is not a track car, and I'm not interested in taking it to the track. Rather, I'd like to improve my driving skills such that I can more safely and confidently explore the performance limits of the car on canyon rides.

Would appreciate any feedback on this. Does it seem worthwhile in general? Would skills learned on a track lend themselves to driving in canyons? Do you think with the LCI car's improved battery capacity it would have adequate stored energy to provide maximum HP for some track runs? Any particular recommendations on good driving schools in the Southern California area?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

The BMW Performance Driving Schools are the real deal!

I had a couple of half day track events at Spartanburg during deliveries (X6M, M6). These were fun so I signed up for a 2-Day M school. That was much more fun. Once you do a 2-Day M-School, you can then do an Advanced M-School...

I have done a bunch of 2-Day Advanced M-Schools. At least 2 at VIR (Virginia International Raceway), 3 at RA (Road Atlanta), and 1 at CMS (Charlotte Motor Speedway). These are great with lots of high speed training as well as smaller autocross tracks and also skidpad work. A lot of fun. Many of us BMW PDC Alumni use these classes just for an excuse to get together a couple of times a year and experience different Race Tracks tracks. Sadly, for some unknown reason, BMW only now does the 2-Day Advanced schools at their facility in Thermal, CA (no more outside tracks).

Once you become an Advanced School Alumni, you may be asked (Invitation Only) to attend the American Group for the yearly Nurburgring Driving Event. Basically, BMW shuts down all public access to the Ring and we have the track for two full days. They break the track down into 8 or 10 sections and then we clock around the track focusing on one section of the track at a time (The Ring is 13 miles long!). This is a gas. Since BMW basically killed the Advanced Schools, this is now how a bunch of us Driving School Alumni get together. I've done this 5 times over the last 5 years. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity so I try to do it every year! ;-)

Then... Wait for it...

If you are a BMW Nurburgring "Section Training" Alumni, you can also get invited to attend the American Group for the BMW Nurburgring Lapping Event. Since, as an alumni of the Ring Section Training, you now are familiar with the track. This event is 2 full days of complete lapping on the Ring. We just did this for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Its basically 2 x 1-day lapping events back-to-back. Its crazy fun. Our group was running the Ring in M4's turning in 8:06 (B2G) times. We believe we had actually run a pace for sub-8 minute laps but we had to contend with traffic (other groups) that we were passing...

Now that we have done the Ring Lapping Event, we are currently pushing for an "American Group" event to the BMW Winter Driving School in Sweden next Jan/Feb. (M4's with studded tires on a race track on a frozen lake).

So yes, lots of learning and good times to be had with BMW Driving Schools. The instructors are racing professionals, great teachers, nice people, and you will learn a lot! BMW provides the M-Cars so its all arrive-and-drive!

I've also heard very good things about the AMG school, Porsche PCA School, and the Dirtfish Rally School in the Pacific Northwest. Of those, I'ld like to do the Rally school the most!

I'm also a member at the Autobahn Country Club. We have two race tracks there that I can basically run anytime I want (Apr 1 - Nov 1 except Mondays). I have a dedicated M4 Track Car that I run at the Club. There are also a couple of other such clubs around the country.

Nothing is a substitute for real seat time on a Race Track. Beware though - Once you start running on a track, "sporting around" on public roads will seem pretty weak...

Last edited by evanevery; 08-10-2018 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
I'm jealous that you are in the west coast which means if you do a M track day, it will be held at Thermal whereas I'm in the Northeast and I have to go to Spartanburg
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
I'm jealous that you are in the west coast which means if you do a M track day, it will be held at Thermal whereas I'm in the Northeast and I have to go to Spartanburg
Don't be jealous... The instructors at Spartanburg are second to none! I would take Spartanburg any day over Thermal!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I had considered the school at Thermal, but aren't all of their classes driving their cars, none of which are i8's. My interest is to improve my driving skills and understanding of the handling/performance limits behind the wheel of my i8. Do you think the learnings from driving M-cars on the track at Thermal would readily transfer to driving the i8 through canyon roads?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Pure Impulse do a "M vs i" track day in Maisach (close to Munich) every year. It's great fun and well worth doing if you can make it out to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I had considered the school at Thermal, but aren't all of their classes driving their cars, none of which are i8's. My interest is to improve my driving skills and understanding of the handling/performance limits behind the wheel of my i8. Do you think the learnings from driving M-cars on the track at Thermal would readily transfer to driving the i8 through canyon roads?
No one tracks an i8. Its just not a track car. An M car is much better suited for track use. That's the whole point!

It will be of greater use to you to spend some time in a car which is better suited for the track, and then take your i8 to a private track day AFTER you get comfortable with the techniques and skills. A proper M car will get you much further down that path...

The skills you learn on the track can be applied to any car...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
...and you don't HAVE to go to Spartanburg. You can sign up at either location!

(Also: M-Track days are different than the M-School. If you want full instruction you will want to go to one of the schools (not a track day)... M-Track days are basically a sales event with a couple of hours of seat time.)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Does it seem worthwhile in general? Would skills learned on a track lend themselves to driving in canyons? Do you think with the LCI car's improved battery capacity it would have adequate stored energy to provide maximum HP for some track runs? Any particular recommendations on good driving schools in the Southern California area?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Yes absolutely worthwhile, and ideal to learn on track. Start on an airfield perhaps though.

Denser battery will only mean it will last longer before it runs out. All i8 will run out of e.

Track skills will help you on road for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Hi. You are in luck. There is a school here just for you held by the Porsche Owner's Club and it's their Car Control Clinic held at the old El Toro Marine Base in Orange County. Don't worry about not having a Porsche as there are lots of BMWs that show up.

It is a very comprehensive one day program that begins with doing figure 8's (inducing over steer and understeer on wet pavement), emergency defensive maneuvers, a drift circle (holding a drift on wet pavement), and some auto cross. There is some instruction and debrief, but mostly in-car time.

This class is a fraction of the cost of BMW School and still relevant to what it sound is needed for your purpose.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Hi. You are in luck. There is a school here just for you held by the Porsche Owner's Club and it's their Car Control Clinic held at the old El Toro Marine Base in Orange County. Don't worry about not having a Porsche as there are lots of BMWs that show up.

It is a very comprehensive one day program that begins with doing figure 8's (inducing over steer and understeer on wet pavement), emergency defensive maneuvers, a drift circle (holding a drift on wet pavement), and some auto cross. There is some instruction and debrief, but mostly in-car time.

This class is a fraction of the cost of BMW School and still relevant to what it sound is needed for your purpose.
Sounds like a great opportunity!

However, keeping things in perspective... When you go to one of the BMW Driving Schools, you use their M Cars. So the costs are calculated to include Gas, Oil, Tires, Brakes, Wear and Tear, Vehicle Transport, PROFESSIONAL instruction, Hotel, and Meals.
Appreciate 0