BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

07-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Hey I'd figure I'd clear up a few things about the activeE.

I just hit 9000 miles on mine yesterday and this car is a phenomenal DD. Its odd but the car feels a lot faster than it actually is. With full torque available all the time you can just press the pedal and be punched back into your seat at any speed. It's kinda cool considering the most noise this car ever puts out is the fan for the cooling system.

As far as mileage goes it depends - just like on a normal car. I have a friend who has one and he only manages 80 miles on a charge because he's a lead foot. But for me in a typical commute I see 100 miles with the AC on and around 120 with it off.

If I go insane with squeezing every mile out of it (like I did yesterday with my round trip from long island to jersey) I can get upwards of 130 miles on a charge. Hell I got the computer to register a total range of 160 miles once - for a solid half hour it told me I'd be able to do that.

So it's pretty useable everyday. Handling is another thing that you need to learn in the E. it's different than any other car I've ever driven. And that's because of the regenerative brakes. the regen brakes on this car are powerful. They grab hard if you let them - to the point that in my normal manhattan commute I never touch the brake pedal.

With a balanced throttle turn in is unexpectedly nice. The car positions itself into a turn and tracks a line smoothly. But the key to quickly turning is the brakes. The regen brakes are located on the rear wheels. So when you brake with them all of the braking forces on the car are at the back.

The car doesn't brake dive - which makes it dead flat in corners. Again if you learn how to drive it it's deceptively quick. It's not my 135. But it's definitely a BMW - it just happens to be battery powered.

Ohh also to all those guessing, they aren't repeating this with a 3 or 5 series. This is going straight into the i3 program.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Hey I'd figure I'd clear up a few things about the activeE.

I just hit 9000 miles on mine yesterday and this car is a phenomenal DD. Its odd but the car feels a lot faster than it actually is. With full torque available all the time you can just press the pedal and be punched back into your seat at any speed. It's kinda cool considering the most noise this car ever puts out is the fan for the cooling system.

As far as mileage goes it depends - just like on a normal car. I have a friend who has one and he only manages 80 miles on a charge because he's a lead foot. But for me in a typical commute I see 100 miles with the AC on and around 120 with it off.

If I go insane with squeezing every mile out of it (like I did yesterday with my round trip from long island to jersey) I can get upwards of 130 miles on a charge. Hell I got the computer to register a total range of 160 miles once - for a solid half hour it told me I'd be able to do that.

So it's pretty useable everyday. Handling is another thing that you need to learn in the E. it's different than any other car I've ever driven. And that's because of the regenerative brakes. the regen brakes on this car are powerful. They grab hard if you let them - to the point that in my normal manhattan commute I never touch the brake pedal.

With a balanced throttle turn in is unexpectedly nice. The car positions itself into a turn and tracks a line smoothly. But the key to quickly turning is the brakes. The regen brakes are located on the rear wheels. So when you brake with them all of the braking forces on the car are at the back.

The car doesn't brake dive - which makes it dead flat in corners. Again if you learn how to drive it it's deceptively quick. It's not my 135. But it's definitely a BMW - it just happens to be battery powered.

Ohh also to all those guessing, they aren't repeating this with a 3 or 5 series. This is going straight into the i3 program.
There is really no such thing as "regen brakes" the electric motor is the brake and since the Active E is RWD it slows the rear wheels. If you want to put the car in limp mode drive and then quickly use the E-Brake... they haven't worked that out yet ( at least in the software I have driven). The regen is a lot less than in the MINI E- a lot less and now with the "coast" ability it makes it much friendlier to drive in commuting situations.

It feels faster bc the torque is instant thanks to being an EV. It is well balanced but still heavy thanks to the reuse of the 1 Series chassis. BMW took 40 years from the time they had the 1972 electric 2002 at the MUNICH Olympics to bring an EV to market- they did a good job with the Active E (as a Beta) and the i3 will be all the better for it.... I anxiously await it's arrival.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car, it is a significant piece of engineering- especially the web based features and there are a lot more of them coming to future offerings.
      07-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #25
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt
What's the range on these again? And how long to charge?
They take 240 hours to charge (10 days) and the battery lasts 15 minutes at speed.
Appreciate 0