Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

01-12-2021, 11:36 PM   #23
Eye3
Rep
Drives: 2020 i3; 2021 X1 xdrive

Exclamation Unplugged...

I unplugged the front speaker tonight, and as expected have a malfunction code/warning. I (too) am ok with the rear speaker as I feel it may come in handy here and there.

Having the noise completely eliminated in Drive is bliss compared to that awful noise that was tweaking my equilibrium.

I am open to the best / cleanest solution though. I’m ok with coding (and can plug the front speaker back in) but would like VSG zero noise as the desired outcome. I understand there will be motor whine and tire noise.

Can anyone tell me the proper coding for the unplugged VSG?

If this is not the best route, I can proceed with the solutions noted in this thread, but it sounds (no pun intended) like there is still minimal noise present in the end result...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #24
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Last night, I tried to Vehicle Order (VO) code the VSG out by removing the 4U9 option and then FDL coding the ECUs to defaults. All this did was make the VSG essentially sound like a skipping CD player (remember those?). What I did not do was physically unplug the speaker at this point because I don't know where it's located. @Eye3, you may try this to see if that resolves the issue.

If not, I'm still not clear on exactly what to FDL code to get the following results:
  1. No noise output from the VSG speaker at startup
  2. No dash or failure indication

In an ideal world
  • There would be a setting to enable/disable in iDrive
  • That setting would be memorized
  • When the VSG is disabled there would be no warning/malfunction

I'll add that to my knowledge thus far, there are 2x VSG modules with their own settings and also VSG settings within the HU_NBT2 module. I just grabbed the CAFD files last night so haven't had a chance to peruse them offline.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #25
chonza1980
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 2020, BMW X3M4 2020

Thumbs up Goodbye i3 Whaling Ghost Alient (VSG)!

Thanks "iheartevs" -- this was the closest solution I found to solving my whaling ghost aliens. I didn't quite have the exact menu described (I must have a slightly different version). Here is how I solved the issue with no alert/error messages.

Required; BimmerCode

Menu; Vehicle Sound Generator [in Expert Mode] >> 3000 VSG Configuration >> Wave File >> UNK_PARAM_7 (was previously on Wave File 1)

I have noticed is that as you go down further on the wave file menu, the softer/lower the volume gets.

NOTE: Just like 'iheartevs', the VSG will still engage when you put the car in 'reverse' -- but that is way better than having on 'all the time.'

-----------
2020 i3 Rex
2020 X3 M4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartevs View Post
Here's what I was able to code on my 2020 i3:
VSG/3000/Start-up Sound -> yes (was NO)
VSG/3000/VSG Configuration 7_7_15 -> aktiv (was NICHT AKTIV)
VSG/3000/Wave File -> Wave File 4 (was Wav file 1)
VSG/3000/Tuning Mode -> YES (was no)
HU_NBT/3001/VSG_HMI_MENUE -> aktiv (was NICHT AKTIV)

I still have that wailing ghost sound when the car goes in reverse. I'm actually good with that because I feel like it is necessary when backing out of parking spaces.

The noise is still there when the car is in drive but it is significantly quieter.'

Thanks to everyone who posted above.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #26
Eye3
Rep

VSG

I can’t find the the VSG menu option anywhere in Bimmercode. Could it be that it’s not coming up because I unplugged the front VSG...? Assistance from those more familiar with using the app is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #27
Eye3
Rep

Perfect Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX-limited View Post
You can set the value "Tuning mode" to "yes" with the bimmer code in expert mode, then the pedestrian protection is always completely switched off, in the normal menu you switch the pedestrian protection to on, so that no bulb appears in the display, and still the pedestrian protection is permanently switched off by the value of the variable "Tuning mode".
I have tried the different values for a longer time to get the right one, because I didn't want to have the annoying sound or the annoying bulb in the display.

Greetings from germany.
This really is the best solution, so thanks so much. I tried unplugging the VSG and it worked well except for the annoying error/warning messages and lights on the dash. I tried to code but realized I needed to plug the VSG back in. . Today I plugged the VSG back in, and coded using the solution above. The end result is perfect. Usual sound at start up, sound while in drive disappears totally as soon as you press on the accelerator and drive off. The sound in reverse is still there, but I actually prefer it that way. Thanks all for the comments.

Greetings from the San Francisco area.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #28
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

We have 2018 i3 and the lease is coming up in September. My wife is insisting on leasing another 2021 i3 (but as much as I love the unique style and the fun to drive it, I can't justify the price and the awful range anymore over Model 3). Anyways, didn't know that even new US models make this stupid sound, thought it was just an EU regulation. Subscribing to the thread for future use
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #29
Eye3
Rep

Lease i3 vs Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soheil View Post
We have 2018 i3 and the lease is coming up in September. My wife is insisting on leasing another 2021 i3 (but as much as I love the unique style and the fun to drive it, I can't justify the price and the awful range anymore over Model 3). Anyways, didn't know that even new US models make this stupid sound, thought it was just an EU regulation. Subscribing to the thread for future use
Info sharing here only...

This is my second ecar, first was an eGolf. Abysmal range but a wonderful car, highly subsidized at the time. ($250 a month) turned it in, should have kept it.

Just leased a 2020 i3 with a MSRP of $50k for zero down after rebates and $115 a month inc. tax. Range is not an issue for us, and at 150 miles it covers us unless we all need to go further...we have an X1 for that

The Model 3 is a different car and will lease for way more than the range is worth (for me anyway). But If you need the range it’s a different story.

So far loving the i3...likely the lease payment has a lot to do with it.

I also have a deposit on a ID4 due much later this year. It will not likely lease very well though. You may want to look at the specs on those.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #30
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye3 View Post
Quote:
Info sharing here only...

This is my second ecar, first was an eGolf. Abysmal range but a wonderful car, highly subsidized at the time. ($250 a month) turned it in, should have kept it.

Just leased a 2020 i3 with a MSRP of $50k for zero down after rebates and $115 a month inc. tax. Range is not an issue for us, and at 150 miles it covers us unless we all need to go further...we have an X1 for that

The Model 3 is a different car and will lease for way more than the range is worth (for me anyway). But If you need the range it's a different story.

So far loving the i3...likely the lease payment has a lot to do with it.

I also have a deposit on a ID4 due much later this year. It will not likely lease very well though. You may want to look at the specs on those.
Thanks for sharing this, really great info!

When we originally got the i3 it was supposed to be my wife's car and we agreed that we'll take the long trips with my 2012 Hyundai Elantra (hey, don't judge! How do you think we can afford to lease a bimmer?)

But the i3 is soooo good and fun to drive that we both hate driving the Elantra. It's really not about bimmer vs. Hyundai, we've had other bimmers but never felt this way towards Elantra! We want to take it everywhere but because of the range we can't (or couldn't, you know, with the whole pandemic). So that's why she wants to get the exact same color MY21 i3 when this one's lease is due in August. You are right about the price, we are also paying $250 a month after all the incentives and subsidies and this is with $0 down (but 7 MSDs)! So yeah it's really not comparable to Model 3 price wise. But the fact that we can't drive it straight from Santa Barbara to San Diego (the route we go often) without charging is just pathetic 😞

I'll look into ID4, seems like a nice choice
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #31
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this, really great info!

When we originally got the i3 it was supposed to be my wife's car and we agreed that we'll take the long trips with my 2012 Hyundai Elantra (hey, don't judge! How do you think we can afford to lease a bimmer?)

But the i3 is soooo good and fun to drive that we both hate driving the Elantra. It's really not about bimmer vs. Hyundai, we've had other bimmers but never felt this way towards Elantra! We want to take it everywhere but because of the range we can't (or couldn't, you know, with the whole pandemic). So that's why she wants to get the exact same color MY21 i3 when this one's lease is due in August. You are right about the price, we are also paying $250 a month after all the incentives and subsidies and this is with $0 down (but 7 MSDs)! So yeah it's really not comparable to Model 3 price wise. But the fact that we can't drive it straight from Santa Barbara to San Diego (the route we go often) without charging is just pathetic 😞

I'll look into ID4, seems like a nice choice
I would expect BMW to increase the range on the i3 this year as a final bid to keep the car going to 2024.

I bought my -20 i3 late last year, and I took this up against all other EV's on the market, and nothing could beat it.
Just the build quality and "tried and tested" was enough for me, but it beat most on other things as well, such as practicality, power to weight ratio, fun factor, not to mention being made of composite and plastic so that "nothing" on the car rusts.
VW pretty much gave the first ID3 owners a half done car as beta testers, Teslas have their quality issues. Most new EV's in 2020 has seen issues and callbacks.

Just the thought of knowing that your car will work every day is enough to pick the i3.

And price, well, BMW was doing some crazy good deals on the i3's late last year.
I got my i3s, to my spec (basically fully loaded) for 42.000USD, thats over 12.000USD off the "sticker price".

Oh, and on the topic of the VSG, I just pretend I'm in Star Trek
The noice goes away over 30kpm/20mph anyway.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #32
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye3 View Post
This really is the best solution, so thanks so much. I tried unplugging the VSG and it worked well except for the annoying error/warning messages and lights on the dash. I tried to code but realized I needed to plug the VSG back in. . Today I plugged the VSG back in, and coded using the solution above. The end result is perfect. Usual sound at start up, sound while in drive disappears totally as soon as you press on the accelerator and drive off. The sound in reverse is still there, but I actually prefer it that way. Thanks all for the comments.

Greetings from the San Francisco area.
Any error or malfunction warnings like what other people were getting?

I think I’m about to get another i3 and I know that sound is gonna drive me crazy (had a 2019 I mistakenly sold )
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #33
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
Any error or malfunction warnings like what other people were getting?

I think I’m about to get another i3 and I know that sound is gonna drive me crazy (had a 2019 I mistakenly sold )
For anyone else reading for reference:

Took delivery of my ‘21 and coded out the VSG as initially mentioned. I set the tuning mode to yes, as well as modified the WAV sound file to 4. As mentioned earlier, when the car is in Park, no sound, when in Drive and not moving, there is a slight sound, as soon as you accelerate - sound disappears. Reverse does have the noise, but
Zero dash lights. VERY easy. 100%
Appreciate 1
soheil64.50
      09-27-2021, 10:51 PM   #34
4151zero
HOV clogger
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 and i3 BEV

what did you use to code the i3 this way ?
iphone user here, would prolly need a recommended OBD wifi adaptor too, unless its bundled.

Quote:
For anyone else reading for reference:

Took delivery of my ‘21 and coded out the VSG as initially mentioned. I set the tuning mode to yes, as well as modified the WAV sound file to 4. As mentioned earlier, when the car is in Park, no sound, when in Drive and not moving, there is a slight sound, as soon as you accelerate - sound disappears. Reverse does have the noise, but
Zero dash lights. VERY easy. 100%
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #35
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4151zero View Post
what did you use to code the i3 this way ?
iphone user here, would prolly need a recommended OBD wifi adaptor too, unless its bundled.
OBDLink MX is the reader. Bimmercode for coding. All done with my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #36
4151zero
HOV clogger
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 and i3 BEV

Quote:
OBDLink MX is the reader. Bimmercode for coding. All done with my iPhone.
Done, sound gone via 'tuning mode' and wav4.file

You only hear it in reverse.

thanks for the help 35mphgolf
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #37
Weezl
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Will there ever be a way to change the sound in a US model (2021) 530e? I cannot seem to find a way. Using bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:37 AM   #38
vkirichenko
Rep
Drives: BMW e60 LCI 2007

Does anyone know how to turn on start-up sound on BMW 530e 2017? The space aircraft one 😂.

I used to have it but it disappeared after updating firmware for all of the ECUs. I really miss that sound 😢
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 06:42 AM   #39
bitmanEV
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Garage List
Question

Quote:
We have both a 2019 SR+ Model3 and a 2019 i3 120Ah and don't really see that much range difference between the two models; it's in the order of about 15 miles and the i3 is so much nicer to drive so glad my wife as the Elon Musk box with all it's Beta Software never gets to a release candidate (may be when we are living on Mars)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 04:55 AM   #40
PrimeSuspect
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

What software are you using for coding? I have an e-net cable but I dunno what software people are using for coding their i3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartevs View Post
Here's what I was able to code on my 2020 i3:
VSG/3000/Start-up Sound -> yes (was NO)
VSG/3000/VSG Configuration 7_7_15 -> aktiv (was NICHT AKTIV)
VSG/3000/Wave File -> Wave File 4 (was Wav file 1)
VSG/3000/Tuning Mode -> YES (was no)
HU_NBT/3001/VSG_HMI_MENUE -> aktiv (was NICHT AKTIV)

I still have that wailing ghost sound when the car goes in reverse. I'm actually good with that because I feel like it is necessary when backing out of parking spaces.

The noise is still there when the car is in drive but it is significantly quieter.'

Thanks to everyone who posted above.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:06 AM   #41
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeSuspect View Post
What software are you using for coding? I have an e-net cable but I dunno what software people are using for coding their i3.
I’d venture to say that most use bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:08 AM   #42
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 330e Sport Pro

Garage List
VSG on G20 330e...

I understand that this discussion is primarily around the i3... But has anyone successfully worked with VSG on the G20 330e?

The only option in Bimmercode (expert mode) is HU_NBT > VSG_HMI_MENUE

This does then reveal the hidden Pedestrian Protection option in iDrive, however, it only has one option - "Enabled", and the tickbox cannot be deselected to disable it.

There seems to be no option at all for Tuning mode.

Has anyone else had experience with this, and how did you get around it?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:23 PM   #43
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 330e Sport Pro

Garage List
In case it helps anyone else...

At a complete loss, I emailed Bimmercode support about this, who directed me to this setting:

Receiver Audio Module > Expert mode > VSG_WAVE_FILES > change to "file_14"

...to get rid of this annoyance on my G20 330e.

Unfortunately, whilst this did get rid of the VSG sound, it had an adverse impact on the audio function / iDrive system, causing it to crash at startup, resulting in having to revert the setting back to "file_1".

Having another poke around, I coded the following setting, and hoped for the best:

Receiver Audio Module > Expert mode > VSG_FUNCTION > change to "inactive"

And hey presto! VSG gone, no errors, and no adverse impact on anything else!

Last edited by Chadm; 03-19-2024 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Minor correction
Appreciate 0