01-19-2023, 06:15 PM   #1
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Electric motor whining noise under 25 mph

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My iX50 makes this noticeable electric motor whining noise until it reaches 25 mph. I have iconic sounds turned off. Given that the noise abruptly disappears at above 25 mph, I'm thinking it might be intentional noise to warn pedestrians. But oddly enough, I don't understand why it would be so audible inside the vehicle with all of the windows shut. In fact, if I open a window, it doesn't sound any louder to me. Is this normal? Does anyone else notice this noise until 25 mph?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 08:10 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
You are probably hearing the pedestrian protection sound, which is entirely separate from the Iconic Sounds...
      01-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #3
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 08:10 PM   #4
JPFL2022
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

I am noticing the same exact thing. It does cut off at about 24 mph. The ped warning is supposed to cut off at 18 MPH. I did exactly what you did and rolled down the windows to see if it was the external speaker which appears to be located on the bottom front left side of car. I think this sound is something different. I also own a tesla and the other day I had my wife drive both cars slowly while I stayed outside to listen. No question that the Tesla is much more quiet when standing outside. Tesla appears almost silent, while I can hear the acoustic sound clearly louder from my IX. Also, I do not hear this sound in my tesla at all (either with windows up or down while riding slowly. I actually. think it’s a real sound, maybe from the motors, as we should not be able to hear the artificial sound within the car. I would be very surprised if the external speaker is making a sound so loud that it can be heard inside the car, considering that when I roll down the windows the sould does not appear to get louder. It seems like a different source. Its a shame because is so quiet after about 24 Mph.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2023, 08:30 PM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I would never notice this because I don’t turn iconic sounds off. I like the feedback that I’m accelerating, it’s weird without it - one of the things I never liked about Teslas.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      01-25-2023, 09:21 PM   #6
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
In all the time I have spent with the IX I have never heard any motor whine. This includes my own car as well as several dealer cars. Pedestrian protection is active up to 30kmh/19mph for US cars and 20kmh/12mph for European cars.

It's worth noting that on US cars the sound when in reverse is at full volume, whereas European cars are set to gradually increase the volume with speed.
      01-26-2023, 09:10 AM   #7
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFL2022 View Post
I am noticing the same exact thing. It does cut off at about 24 mph. The ped warning is supposed to cut off at 18 MPH. I did exactly what you did and rolled down the windows to see if it was the external speaker which appears to be located on the bottom front left side of car. I think this sound is something different. I also own a tesla and the other day I had my wife drive both cars slowly while I stayed outside to listen. No question that the Tesla is much more quiet when standing outside. Tesla appears almost silent, while I can hear the acoustic sound clearly louder from my IX. Also, I do not hear this sound in my tesla at all (either with windows up or down while riding slowly. I actually. think it’s a real sound, maybe from the motors, as we should not be able to hear the artificial sound within the car. I would be very surprised if the external speaker is making a sound so loud that it can be heard inside the car, considering that when I roll down the windows the sould does not appear to get louder. It seems like a different source. Its a shame because is so quiet after about 24 Mph.
Thank you. So it's not just me!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Never underestimate the power of loud music.
Appreciate 0