BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-12-2018, 02:10 AM   #1
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: scion frs

Buying Tips for used i8

Hi all, thanks for accepting me in the community

I am looking to buy a used i8 sometime next year, probably sometime around summer. Based on what I've seen so far, the 2015 model is probably the one I am going to go for (maybe 2016 if the price is similar).

I currently live in the US, where the i8s go for about 68-75k on average, which I think is a good price, although the norm will probably be around 60k summer next year I think.

I had a question for all of you who have researched/bought an i8.

What would be something that you wished you had known before buying ? For example, maybe the 2016 model is better than the 2015 one for a reason that I am not aware of. Also, would summer next year be a good time to buy ? Or maybe wait till Christmas ? Would you expect a fair price to be at around 60k then (for the 2015 model) ?

Notice that I will most likely be buying this in Switzerland when the time comes (since i will be moving there shortly). So, any tips for the specific country would also be very welcome (I've seen that the prices for a used i8 are very similar to the US, thankfully

Thanks a lot for the help. I am really REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on this babe !
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

following, I'm also interested to buy or transfer a lease on an i8
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Why not try this Christmas season?

Could probably get a steal on a 2016
      11-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Just get something with an existing warranty. My 2015 came with about 1.5 years left on the warranty. Probably saved me $1,000 on the first service.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45 View Post
Just get something with an existing warranty. My 2015 came with about 1.5 years left on the warranty. Probably saved me $1,000 on the first service.
you mean maintenance, right?
or something broke?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:07 AM   #6
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Why not try this Christmas season?

Could probably get a steal on a 2016
I would if I wouldn't move to Switzerland next year Do you expect prices to be around 65k for 2015-2016 models this Christmals ?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:08 AM   #7
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking this as my main priority. Getting a certified pre-owned sounds like a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #8
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

I'd say ignore weather the car has options like Laserlight or surroundview etc. There really are very few interesting options. Other than color and wheels.

I'd avoid the grey/black cars, the design is very hidden in those colors.

Haggle, theres loads on the market and they'll prbbly keep declining for a while if not forever.

Its a fantastic car doesent really need anything other than perhaps a V8
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
I'd say ignore weather the car has options like Laserlight or surroundview etc. There really are very few interesting options. Other than color and wheels.

I'd avoid the grey/black cars, the design is very hidden in those colors.

Haggle, theres loads on the market and they'll prbbly keep declining for a while if not forever.

Its a fantastic car doesent really need anything other than perhaps a V8
Nah, I wouldn't add anything in a dealership. I think they are super overpriced for no reason. I generally don't look into buying a new i8s, any options for me would just be the prebundled on the used market really.

I kinda like the darker colors in the i8, but I totally get what you are saying. It's one of the few cars that I like in multiple colors. I love the black matte i have to say
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Surroundview is a must-have IMHO. Don't skimp on that.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
LukasPukas
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8

I recently bought and i8 after looking to a while.
I went for one that had the Pure Impulse pack, probably not worth it when new, but worthwhile when buying used IMO. This will get you the Harmon Kardon speakers, surroundview and ceramic gear changer.
The previous car I had, I made a few concessions on spec and regretted it.
There are enough cars around that if you wait, the one with the right spec will come up before too long.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 05:00 AM   #12
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasPukas View Post
I went for one that had the Pure Impulse pack, probably not worth it when new, but worthwhile when buying used IMO. This will get you the Harmon Kardon speakers, surroundview and ceramic gear changer.
There are enough cars around that if you wait, the one with the right spec will come up before too long.
Definitely quite a few here in the US and I've also seen that there are a lot in the UK as well and at better prices. Unfortunately, you drive on the wrong side

Not sure if there will be that many in Switzerland, kinda doubt it, but that said, I have already seen a few at the 70k dollar range. So, maybe, I would be able to snatch one at around 60k next winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #13
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

We drive on the right side!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
We drive on the right side!
Haha true
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #15
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppr View Post
Quote:
Definitely quite a few here in the US and I've also seen that there are a lot in the UK as well and at better prices. Unfortunately, you drive on the wrong side

Not sure if there will be that many in Switzerland, kinda doubt it, but that said, I have already seen a few at the 70k dollar range. So, maybe, I would be able to snatch one at around 60k next winter.
There are 48. This are the cheapest two.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:25 AM   #16
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Yeap, I've checked those The second one is one of the colors I like too. I am still in the US though, so I will be looking to buy one next year, around winter. But, yeah those look like a great bargain and I think I can get it a bit cheaper next year too Damn, I love the way this car looks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #17
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeap, I've checked those The second one is one of the colors I like too. I am still in the US though, so I will be looking to buy one next year, around winter. But, yeah those look like a great bargain and I think I can get it a bit cheaper next year too Damn, I love the way this car looks
Hit me up when you moved. I got real good connections 😜
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #18
LukasPukas
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8

Quote:

I think the numbers available are being driven by ones rolling off the end of lease deals, so should be comparable in most countries.
Either way, even if you do have to spend a bit more, you get compensated by perhaps the greatest roads in the world!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #19
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hit me up when you moved. I got real good connections 😜
ah nice, you live in Switzerland Will do for sure. Can't wait to move there actually
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think the numbers available are being driven by ones rolling off the end of lease deals, so should be comparable in most countries.
Either way, even if you do have to spend a bit more, you get compensated by perhaps the greatest roads in the world!
True, must be nice owning an i8 in Switzerland. Love the fact that you can basically drive to Stuttgart in like a couple of hours, for example. Great way to have fun with the car while travelling around countries. Which is something that you can't do here in the US
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #21
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
True, must be nice owning an i8 in Switzerland. Love the fact that you can basically drive to Stuttgart in like a couple of hours, for example. Great way to have fun with the car while travelling around countries. Which is something that you can't do here in the US
30min drive from my home to the unlimitted Autobahn
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:42 AM   #22
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
30min drive from my home to the unlimitted Autobahn
Man, that's insane, love that How is life in Switzerland btw ? I am actually european and think of coming back to Europe, in a country where I can still be making some good money on my work Tough to beat the us income in any other place other than Switzerland(I am on the IT field btw). But I like to hear what people think about the country, gives me some good information before my move there. So far, I am only hearing great things, so can't wait
Appreciate 0