Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Lowest range left, total was 5 miles!

Other day I didnt have any can gas to top of the Rex tank, it was maybe 60% full. Wife had to go into office, it was a cold day, told her she might have to stop to put in a splash of gas. RT commute is 150ish miles. She was too lazy to stop and I told her not to risk it please stop. Went to put the i3 in the garage after she came home, on dash it said Total Range Remaining 5 Miles or some wording like that. She said it was 10 or so when she got home.

Ughhh, thats cutting it to close by my standards and I have driven my cars where the computer range says 0 miles lol.

So the question is will it really let you go to where the Rex & Battery range is 0 and will stop? Does it go into super duper eco pro ++++ at this low of remaining range? Dont know if the manual has any details on full drain.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
It will probably go into limp mode and then shut you off as to protect the batteries.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #3
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e M-Sports 2016

First it will shut down your cabin heating/ac and lower the engine power to save electricity. I think this is when you have 15% actual battery SoC and then at 10% actual battery SoC it will shutdown to save battery from deep discharging. My advice would be not to dive more than a mile or two when cabin heating/ac tuned off by the system.

Ref:
In range "B" the performance of the drive train is reduced due to the low state of charge of the high-voltage battery. The heating and air-conditioning system is switched off here. <- rage B here mean SoC between 15% and 10%

If the absolute SOC value falls below 10%, driving the vehicle is no longer possible. The reserve of 10% is required to give the customer adequate time to charge the high-voltage battery and prevent deep discharge.

For vehicles fitted with REX:

If the state of charge of the high-voltage battery drops below 6.5% relative, the REX combustion engine is started automatically. The automatic engine start-stop function is active up to a state of charge of 3.5%. Driving without restrictions is possible for the state of charge between 3.5% and 1.9%, but without automatic engine start-stop function. Only when the state of charge of the high-voltage battery falls below 1.9%, does the driving with restricted drive power takes effect. At a state of charge of 0.4% a warning message with range of one kilometer is issued. Driving is no longer possible below this SOC value. In the high-voltage battery there is an energy reserve so that it is possible to restart the REX combustion engine or so that the high-voltage battery does not discharge fully over an extended period.
After refueling the I01 with REX driving without restrictions is again possible.

Last edited by hacksics; 11-14-2018 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
So the question is will it really let you go to where the Rex & Battery range is 0 and will stop? Does it go into super duper eco pro ++++ at this low of remaining range?
Short answer - yes!

Unless you code the REX, the default behaviors are as follows:
- at 6% battery capacity, the REX engine will kick in and run as hard as necessary to maintain at most 6% state of charge. For example, if you drive downhill and regen braking produces enough electricity to recharge the battery above 6% level, REX engine will turn "off". It will turn back "on" after battery capacity drops below 6% again.
- at 2% of battery capacity, i3 will go into "limp" mode, with speeds progressively dropping to ~40 mph.
- at 0% of battery capacity the i3 will stop, and you will need to call for a tow.

If you code the car, all of the above thresholds (other than 0% outcome) can be modified to any other integer value that you like. The part that I had found most useful was re-enabling ability to turn on REX engine manually (and not waiting for it to turn "on" at 6% of battery).

As a form on insurance, I used to drive with a filled 2 gallon spare gas tank in the frunk (fit perfectly). Now that I am driving BEV cars, that is no longer a consideration.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
LOL so she could of gone 4 more miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
First it will shut down your cabin heating/ac and lower the engine power to save electricity. I think this is when you have 15% actual battery SoC and then at 10% actual battery SoC it will shutdown to save battery from deep discharging. My advice would be not to dive more than a mile or two when cabin heating/ac tuned off by the system.

Ref:
In range "B" the performance of the drive train is reduced due to the low state of charge of the high-voltage battery. The heating and air-conditioning system is switched off here. <- rage B here mean SoC between 15% and 10%

If the absolute SOC value falls below 10%, driving the vehicle is no longer possible. The reserve of 10% is required to give the customer adequate time to charge the high-voltage battery and prevent deep discharge.

For vehicles fitted with REX:

If the state of charge of the high-voltage battery drops below 6.5% relative, the REX combustion engine is started automatically. The automatic engine start-stop function is active up to a state of charge of 3.5%. Driving without restrictions is possible for the state of charge between 3.5% and 1.9%, but without automatic engine start-stop function. Only when the state of charge of the high-voltage battery falls below 1.9%, does the driving with restricted drive power takes effect. At a state of charge of 0.4% a warning message with range of one kilometer is issued. Driving is no longer possible below this SOC value. In the high-voltage battery there is an energy reserve so that it is possible to restart the REX combustion engine or so that the high-voltage battery does not discharge fully over an extended period.
After refueling the I01 with REX driving without restrictions is again possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
Yeah I have the unlocked Rex menu. She doesnt want to mess with it because usually about the last 30-40 miles of her daily commute she is driving in Eco Pro+ anyways.

I was also concerned of the tank running dry and sucking up too much residue into the system, but its only 15k miles young and only had maybe 60 gallons of gas used. At least its got a super fresh tank of gas now. Will need to add some Isoheat once in a while during the winter, though between Dec-Mar would be surprised if it gets 1k miles on it. She will be back in the ultra luxury of the X5 during those months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Short answer - yes!

Unless you code the REX, the default behaviors are as follows:
- at 6% battery capacity, the REX engine will kick in and run as hard as necessary to maintain at most 6% state of charge. For example, if you drive downhill and regen braking produces enough electricity to recharge the battery above 6% level, REX engine will turn "off". It will turn back "on" after battery capacity drops below 6% again.
- at 2% of battery capacity, i3 will go into "limp" mode, with speeds progressively dropping to ~40 mph.
- at 0% of battery capacity the i3 will stop, and you will need to call for a tow.

If you code the car, all of the above thresholds (other than 0% outcome) can be modified to any other integer value that you like. The part that I had found most useful was re-enabling ability to turn on REX engine manually (and not waiting for it to turn "on" at 6% of battery).

As a form on insurance, I used to drive with a filled 2 gallon spare gas tank in the frunk (fit perfectly). Now that I am driving BEV cars, that is no longer a consideration.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e M-Sports 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Interesting. Where this is located and what is the path? I would assume this would be same for PHEV as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I have the unlocked Rex menu. She doesnt want to mess with it because usually about the last 30-40 miles of her daily commute she is driving in Eco Pro+ anyways.
I don't see how EcoPro+ figures into the use of Rex menu though process.

If you want to control ICE vs. BEV mix of mileage on long-ish trips, you need to get comfy with Rex menu.
If you do NOT want to be auto-slowed-down to 40mph on the highway (when SOC drops below 4%), you need to get comfy with Rex menu.
On longer trips, you need to exhaust gas tank first, so that you can refill it at a gas station as you are driving in BEV mode. Again, impossible without Rex menu.

In any diving mode.

Quote:
I was also concerned of the tank running dry and sucking up too much residue into the system
Don't be.
Tank is tiny, and gas degrades if not used for more than 30 days. BMW slows down the degradation by creating a vacuum in the gas tank, but still, you want to refill it at least once a quarter.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...zer-additives/
https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-...er-affect-that

Quote:
Will need to add some Isoheat once in a while during the winter
Please do NOT do that - your i3 is NOT a lawnmower !

Most additives will degrade the octane rating of the gasoline, and have undesirable effects on the engine.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
Interesting. Where this is located and what is the path? I would assume this would be same for PHEV as well.
All BMWs rely on the same E-SYS configuration software, so if you have multiple bimmers in your garage, the same coding cable and software will work for them all (ask me how I know).

Details here:
http://www.bmw[deletethis]coding.onl...ownloads/esys/

Sorry about [deletethis] insert - this forum frequently garbles up external URLs.

a
Appreciate 0