Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Spinner6996
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8 Pure Impulse

Auto shifting into S6

So...when I am in Sport mode the gears shift automatically up until S5. But regardless of how fast I am going it will not shift automatically into S6 and I have to manually pull the right paddle to shift into M6 to drop the RPM. Could not find anything in the manual and my dealer gave me a blank stare. Does anyone know if this is normal or is it a service issue?
      11-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

It’s normal although I don’t agree with it. You’ll get used to having to manually shift to M6 in order to use less fuel at higher speeds. Annoying part is manually shifting back to auto S shifting once you hit traffic again and need to slow down
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

If you’re trying to be more economical, why not just go Eco Pro?
I would like to have a mode that charges the battery but not in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45 View Post
If you’re trying to be more economical, why not just go Eco Pro?
I would like to have a mode that charges the battery but not in Sport mode.
I Second this!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
It’s normal although I don’t agree with it. You’ll get used to having to manually shift to M6 in order to use less fuel at higher speeds. Annoying part is manually shifting back to auto S shifting once you hit traffic again and need to slow down
What is annoying about shifting back to auto Sport from manual Sport? Simply hold in the right paddle (upshift) for a short time, and you're back in auto Sport.
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      11-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
What is annoying about shifting back to auto Sport from manual Sport? Simply hold in the right paddle (upshift) for a short time, and you're back in auto Sport.
Yeah it’s kind of annoying to hold it because you have to hold it about 2 seconds and you can usually flip the shifter to comfort and back faster than that which also isn’t ideal. Wish it was something like hitting both shifters simultaneously would put you back into sport auto (similarly to how it puts some other cars into neutral)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
Yeah it’s kind of annoying to hold it because you have to hold it about 2 seconds and you can usually flip the shifter to comfort and back faster than that which also isn’t ideal. Wish it was something like hitting both shifters simultaneously would put you back into sport auto (similarly to how it puts some other cars into neutral)
Really? You’re too busy in the cockpit to hold the shift pedal for 2 secs? Where do you drive? Suzuka? An Autobahn in Germany? Or still a dead-straight interstate in Texas?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner6996 View Post
So...when I am in Sport mode the gears shift automatically up until S5. But regardless of how fast I am going it will not shift automatically into S6 and I have to manually pull the right paddle to shift into M6 to drop the RPM. Could not find anything in the manual and my dealer gave me a blank stare. Does anyone know if this is normal or is it a service issue?
I haven’t tried it myself (I shift manually when going fast). But I imagine it has something to do with two factors: how fast you’re going AND how steadily you’re holding that speed. If you’re speeding up and down - even by small amounts - the Sports mode will „think“ you‘re racing and will want to give you the higher-rev torque of S5. If you manage to hold something like 140 or 150 mph with a steady foot for a while, it might shift to S6.

That said, automatic shifting and fast driving are a contradiction in terms to me. The gearbox doesn’t see the road or the traffic in front of you. If you want to be fast, your eyes determine the shifts, nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Spinner6996
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8 Pure Impulse

I fully agree....this is my first automatic performance car. I routinely drive on open highways at 85-90 mph. Shifting occurs through the gears at about 3200 rpm. But in S5 I can continue to increase my speed and it will never upshift until I do it manually into M6. Doesn't make any sense to me....but if that's the way it's designed, so be it.