Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

03-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #1
brave-heart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e, 2012 x3 35i

Anyone cross shopping i4 and taycan

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I know the prices are different. My config for Taycan base is around $92K. After $7500 federal tax this is indeed the lowest cost we can get for Porsche sport car handling. i4 M50 at $70K is definitely more value for the money, but it is a first year model. Ranges are similar. I've owned multiple BMWs but never a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
I know the prices are different. My config for Taycan base is around $92K. After $7500 federal tax this is indeed the lowest cost we can get for Porsche sport car handling. i4 M50 at $70K is definitely more value for the money, but it is a first year model. Ranges are similar. I've owned multiple BMWs but never a Porsche.
Well what's important to you? From a specs perspective I'm sure you did you research and you saw Porsche charges faster if appropriate DC charging is available , but unlikely.

It's always good to try new brands and you can't go wrong with Porsche, why not give it a shot if you never had one (if price is not a big differentiator). With Porsche as a brand you're in a different league of cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #3
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Porsche allocations are longer than i4 allocations currently, which is a big factor.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6510.00
      03-23-2022, 05:18 PM   #4
X4/i4
Rep
Drives: Bmw x 4 m40i

I always find the base price of any porsche looks superficially attractive .however when you spec similar to a bmw the gap greatly widens and some options which are standard on bmw eg hud<at least in Australia>cannot even be specced in porsche.
From reviews main area porsche is ahead is handling/feel .Ride infotainment specifiactions bmw well ahead.depends on your priorities
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2022, 05:49 PM   #5
motzus
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
The Audi E-Tron GT use the Taycan platform. Depending on options that might be a better deal than the Taycan.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 10:07 PM   #6
brave-heart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e, 2012 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by motzus View Post
The Audi E-Tron GT use the Taycan platform. Depending on options that might be a better deal than the Taycan.
Good point. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 01:15 AM   #7
laptimes
Rep
Drives: G05

My i4 coming in May will be my first EV and an experiment to see if I like them and can live with one; if so then I plan on selling it and getting a Taycan Sport Turismo (if you haven't seen in person it's a stunner)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 01:50 AM   #8
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I’ll be able to give you a very good assessment of both because I’ve the i4M50 and the brother is getting his Taycan Cross Turismo 4S in July. I have driven both quite a bit and the underlining impression of the Porsche is it feels wide so depending on the roads you travel this may or may not be an issue, one thing for sure it’s not the car you will feel confident driving briskly down a country road in case you meet someone coming the other way.

Like you I intend to go for a Porsche next and actually have a deposit down for the electric Macan for 2024.

BTW when I spec the Taycan CT 4S to the same spec as my i4M50 it’s an extra £25K, the BM is real value for money when you consider their performance is near enough identical.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6510.00
      03-24-2022, 03:10 AM   #9
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

I thought about getting a Porsche Taycan (base model) as well. I was very impressed with test driving a Porsche Taycan S.

I personally like the Porsche Taycan S more. It's roomier and drives very well (great handling and acceleration smoother than the i4). I like that it actually has a frunk. The door handles are better. Turning ratio might be better (have not confirmed, but I think they have an option of 4 wheel turning).

But I'm going with i4 cuz I can't afford the Porsche that I'd like. And the base Taycan:
- is slower
- won't have air suspension
- won't have nice carbon trim
- won't have the exterior body trim
- won't have nice wheels
- won't have premium headlights
- won't have one pedal driving (Taycan regen is still coasting)
- won't have a lot of other things that are cool that they have as options

Porsche lead times sounded shorter. I was quoted 3 months from order. But they are also marking up from MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 06:27 AM   #10
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech8 View Post
I thought about getting a Porsche Taycan (base model) as well. I was very impressed with test driving a Porsche Taycan S.

I personally like the Porsche Taycan S more. It's roomier and drives very well (great handling and acceleration smoother than the i4). I like that it actually has a frunk. The door handles are better. Turning ratio might be better (have not confirmed, but I think they have an option of 4 wheel turning).

But I'm going with i4 cuz I can't afford the Porsche that I'd like. And the base Taycan:
- is slower
- won't have air suspension
- won't have nice carbon trim
- won't have the exterior body trim
- won't have nice wheels
- won't have premium headlights
- won't have one pedal driving (Taycan regen is still coasting)
- won't have a lot of other things that are cool that they have as options

Porsche lead times sounded shorter. I was quoted 3 months from order. But they are also marking up from MSRP.
Porsche are shorter lead times in the States, you guys are lucky, I tried to order one to match the brother's but last November the soonest I would get a Cross Turismo 4S would be Dec 22 possibly early 23.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #11
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I’ll be able to give you a very good assessment of both because I’ve the i4M50 and the brother is getting his Taycan Cross Turismo 4S in July. I have driven both quite a bit and the underlining impression of the Porsche is it feels wide so depending on the roads you travel this may or may not be an issue, one thing for sure it’s not the car you will feel confident driving briskly down a country road in case you meet someone coming the other way.

Like you I intend to go for a Porsche next and actually have a deposit down for the electric Macan for 2024.

BTW when I spec the Taycan CT 4S to the same spec as my i4M50 it’s an extra £25K, the BM is real value for money when you consider their performance is near enough identical.
Yup, you've covered it well.

The Taycan feels big. I've driven every flavor of Taycan sedan plus a Cross Tourismo 4S. They just feel large. I know they aren't physically huge, but they just feel big. As a current Porsche owner and an EV owner, I expected to come out of each test drive with deep lust for one. But it's never happened.

Now, that's not to say it's not without it's charms. The ride with the air suspension is a perfect combination of smooth and sporty. The car keeps it's composure and always feels very planted. The steering is excellent. The cabin is first rate. The blended brakes are fantastic.

But the acceleration...you need to get into Turbo territory before you feel like a Model 3 isn't an equal or even a better. The two speed trans is a bit odd and is responsible for the slightly lackadaisical performance, IMO, as it's usually in second unless you're in Sport Plus or launching it. Likewise the air suspension makes the responses a bit aloof, even though they are competent. For it's size, it's tight. The back seat is laughable and the front seat, while comfortable, is weird ingress / egress as there is a strange relationship between wheel, seat, and roof. It took me a few dozen times to get in without being conscious of contorting myself (I am 6'2"). Also, the trunk is tiny and, like most other EV's, rear visibility is ridiculously poor.

If I had F.U. money, I'd no doubt plump for a GTS Sport Tourismo. It solves some of the rear visibility and cargo space, plus gains you a few inches of rear headroom (and looks freaking spectacular, I must say). I've considered trading in my 911 and my Tesla for one but feel like it's a stepping stone. This is borne out by the fact that the Taycan and ETron GT will be the ONLY EV's produced on the platform. All others moving forward, including the Macan EV, will be on the new platform which is championed by Audi and will underpin the new A6 Etron.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #12
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yup, you've covered it well.

The Taycan feels big. I've driven every flavor of Taycan sedan plus a Cross Tourismo 4S. They just feel large. I know they aren't physically huge, but they just feel big. As a current Porsche owner and an EV owner, I expected to come out of each test drive with deep lust for one. But it's never happened.
Yeah, though like all Porsches it’s easy to know where the wheels/front corners are because of their bonnet shape but this doesn’t stop it feeling wide, oddly I drove the E-Tron GT back to back on one occasion and it didn’t quite feel as wide and I think it’s in part down to the fact you sit lower in the Porsche than any of the others.

Quote:
Now, that's not to say it's not without it's charms. The ride with the air suspension is a perfect combination of smooth and sporty. The car keeps it's composure and always feels very planted. The steering is excellent. The cabin is first rate. The blended brakes are fantastic.
Like you I have owned both brands over the years and will probably be back in the near future, there’s something special about a Porsche, even sitting in it you feel excited, the Taycan is very futuristic inside but I actually prefer that familiar feeling of the i4, who in Porsche thought not having traditional air vents was a good idea. There’s something special in the way Porsche tune their handling/suspension/steering and the only other brand that remind me of them in this way is Lotus, where as the i4M50 feels perfectly capable of being driven quickly down a back road you get the feeling it’s not really built for it and beyond 6-7/10ths it loses its composure, the Taycan revels in such behaviour, it is by far the best handling electric car and I don’t see anyone bettering it anytime soon, well unless Lotus bring us an electric saloon car next.

Quote:
But the acceleration...you need to get into Turbo territory before you feel like a Model 3 isn't an equal or even a better. The two speed trans is a bit odd and is responsible for the slightly lackadaisical performance, IMO, as it's usually in second unless you're in Sport Plus or launching it. Likewise the air suspension makes the responses a bit aloof, even though they are competent. For it's size, it's tight. The back seat is laughable and the front seat, while comfortable, is weird ingress / egress as there is a strange relationship between wheel, seat, and roof. It took me a few dozen times to get in without being conscious of contorting myself (I am 6'2"). Also, the trunk is tiny and, like most other EV's, rear visibility is ridiculously poor.

If I had F.U. money, I'd no doubt plump for a GTS Sport Tourismo. It solves some of the rear visibility and cargo space, plus gains you a few inches of rear headroom (and looks freaking spectacular, I must say). I've considered trading in my 911 and my Tesla for one but feel like it's a stepping stone. This is borne out by the fact that the Taycan and ETron GT will be the ONLY EV's produced on the platform. All others moving forward, including the Macan EV, will be on the new platform which is championed by Audi and will underpin the new A6 Etron.
Totally agree, in fact I get the feeling the acceleration feels more brutal in the i4M50 than the Taycan 4S, though I’m sure it actually is as quick. You definitely don’t get the front end lift in the Porsche that you experience in the i4 which might explain why it doesn’t feel as brutal when you stamp on the loud pedal. To me the Sport and Cross Turismo are the better more practical versions of the Taycan, visibility out the back is better as is rear headroom.

BTW if I had ordered a Sport Turismo I could get it quicker than the Cross Turismo which surprised me as I thought that would be the more desirable model, maybe this varies from market to market.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6510.00
      04-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #13
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

I absolutely, without ego or doubt, know that I cannot afford a Taycan variant with my build. It is my favorite vehicle on the road today for my needs. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #14
BMWpowered
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3E, 2023 EQE350

We considered the Taycan Cross Turismo, but decided against it for a few reasons.

- It's slower. Much slower than the M50 unless you get the 4S Cross-Turismo which starts at 110k
- It's much more expensive. You can't get a base Porsche since it'll have nothing on it. It has to have at least some 'basic' options, which easily add 10-20k to the price.
- That hideous, hideous backup camera that you find on all Audis & Porsches kind of ruins the car.
- Delivery time for a custom delivery is actually longer than the i4, with few dealers quoting me at 12-15 months.

As it stands we put an order in for the i4 and Lucid Touring. We'll see which comes first, but I'm really hoping it's the i4. It's 30k cheaper, fast enough, and I know I'm getting a quality build. With Lucid, it's a dice roll since it's their first car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #15
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

I borrowed a Taycan Cross Tourismo 4S from my local dealer and really enjoyed. Lovely to drive and unbelievably quick. But, its a whopping big car, the rear seats aren't great and the dash layout and smoothness is nothing like as good as the new iDrive.

Compared to the i4 M50, the two are very very different. For a start, a similar spec Taycan is pretty much twice the price of the i4 M50, and the range when we tested it was well less than the published figures, whereas the i4 M50 did far better at getting close to its official range. The i4 is what I would call a normal electric car - pretty compact, familiar and fun.

I fancied the Porsche and as mine is a business purchase, the price was a secondary cover.. However, its nowhere close to twice as good as the i4 M50, and that was the deal breaker. If the Porsche's range improves, then I may look again, but my i4 arrives in 3 weeks...... 😊
Appreciate 0