01-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #23
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Where do you store the RV when not in use, and does it cost anything?

The HOA - even if you don't like it, I am guessing it covers things like mowing the yard, etc. while you are gone. There's a benefit to that. Will you need these things with a new place, will you have them, what will it cost?

Just stuff to think about.
I put it in a storage lot, right now I only pay about $100/month to store it, but it's a big pita each time we go out for a few months because I have to either keep paying storage fees to basically hold my spot or try to find new storage when we get back. During the summer it's very difficult, currently stored about an hour and a half away from my house because storage around here is $300/month.

Other than common areas, club house, pool I've never been to in 7 years and that stuff. Only thing included in the HOA is internet and cable tv. I definitely don't use the cable TV and the internet costs around $50/month and is tax deductible.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #24
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Sounds to me like you would probably be better off holding on to what you have. What is your current house worth, and perhaps I missed it, but what location are you in currently and where do you plan to move if you do?
House is worth $400k, I paid around $200k not counting stuff I've done like new roof, ac etc. Not sure if you're familiar with FL but currently around the Boynton/Delray area. Would be moving north around Port St Lucie.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #25
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
House is worth $400k, I paid around $200k not counting stuff I've done like new roof, ac etc. Not sure if you're familiar with FL but currently around the Boynton/Delray area. Would be moving north around Port St Lucie.
Yes, quite familiar - was born in Winter Park, grew up in New Smyrna Beach, and lived in WPB and Lake Worth for a bit.

That is a very big change in lifestyle moving from Delray to Port St. Lucie. If you already know that and are interested in moving up there because of it, then the move sounds like more of a lifestyle change than a house change.

Prices should be substantially less in that area as compared to Palm Beach County, including much lower property taxes. I would think you should easily be able to get as nice a house for less money. If looking for more land, that should be very easy to do, so long as you are willing to live west of 95.

I assume you either work remotely, or somewhere between those two towns, since you are looking at a 1 1/2 hour commute between the two, more during peak traffic times.
      01-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds to me like you would probably be better off holding on to what you have. What is your current house worth, and perhaps I missed it, but what location are you in currently and where do you plan to move if you do?
Hey you are close by. I'm in Wellington.

I think you should be able to find something that suits your needs further north for less than $400K. Maybe not $250K but with the equity you have you should be able to take on a small mortgage that might be easier to get approved than you think. Owning outright is nice but nicer still is a comfortable payment to get into something the really suits your needs without needing to think about moving again.
      01-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #27
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
If new house is >$250k I can buy it cash with equity, if its over $250k I need mortgage.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
^^ Double ban, beans go on rice
BOTH go in burrito, can't be in taco.

Now, when you come back with "put on a side of the plate": LITTERER!!!!!! EAT YOUR PLATE!!!!!!

Too late for breakfast burrito, not sure I can wait until lunch
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #29
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Sounds like you're financially stable to make it work either way...I think that blowing $5k+ on HOA and RV storage fees every year is reason enough. Even if you borrow $250K over 15 years that $5K would be enough to cover at least 2 months of mortgage payments every year. Sounds like a much better use of funds IMO and you'll still be "upgrading" your living situation in the process.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #30
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
BOTH go in burrito, can't be in taco.

Now, when you come back with "put on a side of the plate": LITTERER!!!!!! EAT YOUR PLATE!!!!!!

Too late for breakfast burrito, not sure I can wait until lunch
While I don't consider myself a fancy guy, definitely not up to par with some of the guys on here and their weekly $120 haircuts... I still don't find the idea of carrying my meal around all mixed up in an edible sack all that appealing. I mean... I'll eat it if I don't have a choice... but damn.

You wouldn't go to a steakhouse and ask your steak and potato be chopped up and put in an edible sack... would you?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #31
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Hey you are close by. I'm in Wellington.

I think you should be able to find something that suits your needs further north for less than $400K. Maybe not $250K but with the equity you have you should be able to take on a small mortgage that might be easier to get approved than you think. Owning outright is nice but nicer still is a comfortable payment to get into something the really suits your needs without needing to think about moving again.
I thought so too, but when you add all the factors, no HOA, space for RV, at least as updated as ours (2011) etc you got slim picking even up to $350k.

While I can deal with ugly paint and carpet and basic stuff like that, I don't really want to have to deal with remodeling bathrooms and kitchens etc and a lot of the ones I see need that.

Quote:
Yes, quite familiar - was born in Winter Park, grew up in New Smyrna Beach, and lived in WPB and Lake Worth for a bit.

That is a very big change in lifestyle moving from Delray to Port St. Lucie. If you already know that and are interested in moving up there because of it, then the move sounds like more of a lifestyle change than a house change.

Prices should be substantially less in that area as compared to Palm Beach County, including much lower property taxes. I would think you should easily be able to get as nice a house for less money. If looking for more land, that should be very easy to do, so long as you are willing to live west of 95.

I assume you either work remotely, or somewhere between those two towns, since you are looking at a 1 1/2 hour commute between the two, more during peak traffic times.
Yes we both work remotely, only way we could leave in the RV for a few months.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      01-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #32
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
While I don't consider myself a fancy guy, definitely not up to par with some of the guys on here and their weekly $120 haircuts... I still don't find the idea of carrying my meal around all mixed up in an edible sack all that appealing. I mean... I'll eat it if I don't have a choice... but damn.

You wouldn't go to a steakhouse and ask your steak and potato be chopped up and put in an edible sack... would you?
Can you puree that for me, please? No straw though, I live in Cali

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #33
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      01-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #34
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
If it's called real estate is there also unreal estate or fake estate?
No, there's "real estate" (or in business circles, "real property") being something that you own and can touch (ie. it's "real") - like houses and land.

Then there's "estate" or "property" which is something you own - like shares, bonds, cash at the bank etc.
Appreciate 0