Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-20-2021, 12:09 PM   #23
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I cannot figure out the marketing here... this has nothing to do w an m car or m performance car and should not be marketed as such... the i brand is a good standalone on its own but this is becoming laughable.
Things certainly were a lot more understandable when the only cars that had M badging on them were M cars. I agree, the whole 'M all the things' strategy is a complete joke.
Appreciate 1
SoCali E361000.00
      12-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #24
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Things certainly were a lot more understandable when the only cars that had M badging on them were M cars. I agree, the whole 'M all the things' strategy is a complete joke.
It's beyond bizarre because even if they were to market this as an "m-performance" vehicle like an M340i... that's still not even remotely close to how an M340i drives on the street or track nor how capable it is when being beaten around...

I say they make this thing below an M216dXI and throw some M seatbelts in it Oh wait...
      12-20-2021, 01:13 PM   #25
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

The pollution and corruption of the "M" badge started years ago with cars not having being built by the division carrying the badge.

I would argue that this is more of an "M" that the M240i that had the badge.

Weather or not it carries the "M" isn't important to me.
Comparing it to an M3/M4 and looking at the outcome doesn't matter to a lot of buyers.

I needed a replacement for my aging E90 and couldn't bring myself to pay $70k -ish for a car that has incremental technology and nothing really to motivate me (M440, M3 or M4). Do I like the M4, etc? Yep. I like the M2 Competition even better and absent the M50, I'd be looking for a used M2 Competition.
      12-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #26
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Yes, five would be remarkable.
We are not doubling battery capacity every two years or even five years.

We are chasing the holy grail of sold state battery tech and that isn't 5x the density of current batteries

We are talking 80kwh in a 200lb package. There is currently no path to get there from here. Not even in the next decade.
Is there any data on i4 battery pack + safety cage weights?

This article is 2 years old, and it says 85kWh is 1200lb on Model S for 7100+ cells. My guess is that the metal jackets of those 7100 cells do add quite a bit of weight.

Solid state battery is likely around 3x density, plus no thermal runaway hence no need for metal jackets/reinforcement frames, it can be significant weight savings if the tech materializes.

https://enrg.io/tesla-battery-weight...ew-all-models/
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #27
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Is there any data on i4 battery pack + safety cage weights?

This article is 2 years old, and it says 85kWh is 1200lb on Model S for 7100+ cells. My guess is that the metal jackets of those 7100 cells do add quite a bit of weight.

Solid state battery is likely around 3x density, plus no thermal runaway hence no need for metal jackets/reinforcement frames, it can be significant weight savings if the tech materializes.

https://enrg.io/tesla-battery-weight...ew-all-models/
According to this, the battery is 1,212.54 lbs

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/df90142

But, not sure how accurate the source is.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #28
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Another so called "reviewer" comparing an M Performance car with an M car. Either BMW is not doing a good job selling the idea of an M Performance car from an M car, or this game of complaining about not getting an M car in an M Performance car is beyond idiotic.
Hmm. I feel BMW has been pushing harder on this being an M than say the M340i for sure.

Bit much to call him a so called reviewer, he puts a load of time and effort into this YT work. #bekind !
muzzalad268.50
SoCali E361000.00
      12-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #29
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
I say they make this thing below an M216dXI and throw some M seatbelts in it Oh wait...
Is this car really sold in Europe? Is it RWD? This looks good.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #30
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
The pollution and corruption of the "M" badge started years ago with cars not having being built by the division carrying the badge.

I would argue that this is more of an "M" that the M240i that had the badge.

Weather or not it carries the "M" isn't important to me.
Comparing it to an M3/M4 and looking at the outcome doesn't matter to a lot of buyers.

I needed a replacement for my aging E90 and couldn't bring myself to pay $70k -ish for a car that has incremental technology and nothing really to motivate me (M440, M3 or M4). Do I like the M4, etc? Yep. I like the M2 Competition even better and absent the M50, I'd be looking for a used M2 Competition.
Previous Gen M240i was ok, but not great. New generation M240i handles supremely well and is very quick. It definitely is not an "M" car, but for an M-lite, it's pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #31
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
He's definitely a true petrol head so the review isn't surprising. I think overall he liked it for what it was, but like other BEVs, it wasn't for him
i4 M50 will not generate unanimous reviews for many reasons, including this vehicle being only the first iteration using battery technology designed years ago. I think this review simply underlines the reality of current EVs with clear advantages and disadvantages. Whether M badge belongs to be displayed on this vehicle is not even a factor.

BMW M division faces the same challenge as any other high performance vehicle manufacturer: how to differentiate a vehicle capable of going from 0-60 in less than 4 seconds on average.

I think the future belongs to more intelligence in the software controlling 4 individual electric motors and directing torque where needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #32
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Callahan View Post
I don’t mind about the backseat at all, it is totally irrelevant in our buying criteria. Most of the time the car will have 1-2 persons and very rarely we need backseat.

i4 is not meant to be a people hauler, anyone looking for a car that seats comfortably 4-5 195cm tall passengers (like the tester) will be looking for big SUVs or sedans.
Meh, I disagree. You should be able to fit 4 each 6' tall people in a sedan of this length. My Model 3, which is shorter, has more rear headroom. Hell, my GTi did. And so did my Lexus GS 350.

I was really looking at an i4 with great enthusiasm. However, this is a major deal breaker. My son is 5'11". The i4 would have been my daily driver, and I don't use mine for long trips with the family. That is why we have an SUV. But we live 30 minutes outside of Houston and regularly make trips into town. With this car, I don't think even that would be comfortable. To me it seems like the i4 (and also the 4GC) is barely more comfortable than a 4 series Coupe. Which makes this form factor useless, IMO.

I get it that it works for your use case. But the whole point of buying a 4 door vehicle is that I'm using the 4 doors often. I guess if BMW made a full sedan version of this vehicle based on the 3 series, then my point would be moot as I could buy that. But they don't. They only make the iX. So if I want an EV from BMW capable of holding 4 full sized people, i'm forced into the "SUV" form factor and considerably higher cost.

Yeah, this is a big miss. It literally eliminated the i4 from my list to replace my Model 3 Performance.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      12-20-2021, 04:03 PM   #33
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Yes and No
      12-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #34
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Bit much to call him a so called reviewer, he puts a load of time and effort into this YT work. #bekind !
You can't call Joe a reviewer. yes, he puts a lot of time into his YT work however he clearly lets his biases and likes / dislikes show in his review. He CLEARLY thinks EV's are rubbish (just follow him on other social media) and therefore approaches his "review" with a massive slant.

I do enjoy his content when he discusses things that interest him, as I think he's much more fair minded. But a "reviewer" has to review in context. IMO, he would be better off not wasting his time on products he doesn't like or won't give a fair shake to at the outset. Doesn't really do either he nor his audience much good.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Meh, I disagree. You should be able to fit 4 each 6' tall people in a sedan of this length. My Model 3, which is shorter, has more rear headroom. Hell, my GTi did. And so did my Lexus GS 350.

I was really looking at an i4 with great enthusiasm. However, this is a major deal breaker. My son is 5'11". The i4 would have been my daily driver, and I don't use mine for long trips with the family. That is why we have an SUV. But we live 30 minutes outside of Houston and regularly make trips into town. With this car, I don't think even that would be comfortable. To me it seems like the i4 (and also the 4GC) is barely more comfortable than a 4 series Coupe. Which makes this form factor useless, IMO.

I get it that it works for your use case. But the whole point of buying a 4 door vehicle is that I'm using the 4 doors often. I guess if BMW made a full sedan version of this vehicle based on the 3 series, then my point would be moot as I could buy that. But they don't. They only make the iX. So if I want an EV from BMW capable of holding 4 full sized people, i'm forced into the "SUV" form factor and considerably higher cost.

Yeah, this is a big miss. It literally eliminated the i4 from my list to replace my Model 3 Performance.

My 2018 330i GT is 190" overall length and is limo-like in the rear
The i4 (Gran Coupe body) is 188.5" overall length

The difference in the rear seat is far more than the 1.5" difference of overall vehicle length. The cargo space is also reduced from 25 cu ft. to 17 cu ft.

This was about styling.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #36
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
My 2018 330i GT is 190" overall length and is limo-like in the rear
The i4 (Gran Coupe body) is 188.5" overall length

The difference in the rear seat is far more than the 1.5" difference of overall vehicle length. The cargo space is also reduced from 25 cu ft. to 17 cu ft.

This was about styling.
Exactly. And they definitely compromised the usability of the car in doing so.

Not new for BMW. Most of the larger F series chassis have horrendous packaging. The 6 GC is a disaster. It's a huge boat with a totally unusable back seat. And the 6 cabrio has less usable back seat room than the F83 4 series cabrio does. Wild.

The F10 5 series as well was....not good either when it came to back seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #37
iPhil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I cannot figure out the marketing here... this has nothing to do w an m car or m performance car and should not be marketed as such... the i brand is a good standalone on its own but this is becoming laughable.
It's not a BMWi, yet they call it the i4. It weighs about 5,000 lbs, yet it's branded as M Performance. It's not really bigger than a Coupe, yet it's called 'Gran' Coupe. It's not an M car, yet it has M door mirrors and the logo in the kidneys. And so forth. This is the worst identity crisis BMW marketing came up with so far, I think. A great EV, but a confusing one nonetheless.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10148.50
      12-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #38
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Exactly. And they definitely compromised the usability of the car in doing so.

Not new for BMW. Most of the larger F series chassis have horrendous packaging. The 6 GC is a disaster. It's a huge boat with a totally unusable back seat. And the 6 cabrio has less usable back seat room than the F83 4 series cabrio does. Wild.

The F10 5 series as well was....not good either when it came to back seat.
Don't know if you've been in a 3 GT, but passengers consistently ask what the car is and how it has such a commodious amount of space and comfort. Plus, the cargo area is large. Wish they had kept it and electrified it, but it was a low seller...purportedly resisted due to styling.

I'm 6'2", and here are comparitive "sit behind myself" photos for 2018 3 GT vs 2022 4 GC.
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:16 AM   #39
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Another so called "reviewer" comparing an M Performance car with an M car. Either BMW is not doing a good job selling the idea of an M Performance car from an M car, or this game of complaining about not getting an M car in an M Performance car is beyond idiotic.
I think BMW's marketing has deliberately muddied the waters here. I do not expect an M-Car and ordered a M50 last month to replace my 340i.

I watched this video yesterday and noted the anti BEV bias and constant comparison to a 'his' M3…

Also, when will reviewers get the official range right. Euro official range of his tested configuration is not 360 or 315 miles. It's more like ~260 with all those options! So, his estimate of ~250 miles range is excellent news! I was hoping for a real life 250 from an M50 on 19" wheels.

But, his back seat review was the most informative yet.
It's 259 miles WLTP with the 20" alloys so real world is less than 200.

He didn't test the range.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:29 AM   #40
Sporck
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I think it's really because of the marketing of BMW and the whole youtuber as well. Everyone writes something about the first M BEV. But it is not an M BEV but an M-Performance BEV. Although I would almost think that my M340i is a bit sportier in the curves
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:33 AM   #41
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I agree with him about the heating controls

I think the designers must have been off sick on the day they were taught about ergonomics

Putting controls on a touch screen for anything you might need WHILST driving is a bad move.

You have to take your eyes off the road to up the temperature
In my g30 I don't have to do that and without looking can turn the knob clockwise 2 notches to up the temp by 1C

This sort of thing is intuitive and most controls in cars to date have been like this for the most part

I suspect they put it on the screen as it looks modern and high tech.
I think it's gimmicky
It might impress a lot of people but it does not impress me.

This seems to be a trend across manufacturers now

If this is aimed at younger people, will they have the money to afford these types of cars as they are expensive which ever way you look at it

In summary, not impressed

Rant over
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 03:00 AM   #42
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Nope FWD platform with some XDrive
      12-21-2021, 05:48 AM   #43
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
You don't have to take your eyes off the road to change the temperature. In fact, you don't even have to remove your hands from the steering wheel at all so this bodes will for driving safety. Yes, if you enjoy the physical touch of switches, then this or any other BMW that will adopt i-drive 8 coming soon will not be for you.

BMW's have excellent and intuitive voice commands system since i-drive 6, I've rarely touched the temperature controls on the last G30 540i using the voice command button on the steering wheel, and on the G20 you basically say "Hey BMW, change temperature to 72 degrees" or "turn drivers temperature down 3 degrees" or something of that nature.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 06:41 AM   #44
MacOSR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 X5M, 18 M550, 21 M5C, 23 M8

Joe captured in this video my exact sentiments about EVs. I am no longer excited about the cars coming out. I have owned a long list of M vehicles and other performance vehicles but EVs aren’t ready for prime time yet. The battery technology is not there yet and they are too heavy and they are worse for the environment that ICE vehicles so that doesn’t even draw me to them yet. Once the batter technology gets where it needs to be maybe my perspective will change because driving dynamics can change but for now Joe captured exactly where I am on EVs.
Appreciate 0