BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-08-2023, 08:48 PM   #1
KiDTr0LL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8 / 2014 BMW 428i

Smog Issue (2015)

Just bought a 2015 out of state (NJ). I am in California so I have to smog it before I can transfer it to my name. Problem #1 is I can't find the emissions label. EDIT: I found it (Thanks Johnny I8). It's right where he said, top right corner of the carbon fiber structure in the rear.

2nd problem which is the big one is I got 2 permanent fault codes:
P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
P0606 - Control-Module Processor

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the dealer so we'll see what they find.

Last edited by KiDTr0LL; 11-10-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I had a coolant error earlier this year and own my car since new - it literally just needed to be filled up.

I cannot answer your other questions unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #3
Johnny i8
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I believe the emissions sticker is in the rear of the vehicle on top right side on the carbon fiber structure after you raise the rear window. It is a black and white sticker. (Not near my vehicle at this time to verify).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:30 PM   #4
smwalker
Registered
Rep
Drives: GM

Permanent codes are a new thing is 2010 and newer vehicles so folks are not up to speed on them yet. With the check engine light off and a permanent code present does not mean there is anything wrong with your car. It means there WAS something wrong with your car and those codes are going to stay around a while to make sure you fixed it right. If not for a CA SMOG you can basically ignore Permanent codes they are not hurting anyone hanging around inside a ECU.

You cannot clear a permanent code with a scanner or battery disconnect.

You can pass a CA SMOG check with a permanent code in place as long as you have these items in place:

No Check Engine Light (meaning no current codes)
Monitors Complete (Except for EVAP, that can be incomplete)
And this is the important part: Driven 200 miles and have 15 Warm Up cycles since the last time the DTC's codes were cleared. (Hopefully the dealer did not reset anything)

Now doing this 200/15 task will not clear the Permanent code but rather the CA SMOG machine has been programmed to ignore the Permanent codes if 200 / 15 is complete.

From the BAR: https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/PDTC
Are there circumstances under which a PDTC will not cause a vehicle to fail a Smog Check inspection?
Yes. PDTCs will be ignored if the vehicle has completed at least 15 warm-up cycles and been driven at least 200 miles since its OBD information was last cleared.

SO how to get warm up cycles fast:
Warm up cycles are simply the engine getting up to a normal operating temperature then cooling back down below a certain temp. Below is a video of a guy forcing them on a car with a fan to aid in cooling things down. This can be done in your driveway if you want. The standard for most cars is Up to 160 degrees then it wants to see a 40 degree difference. So cold start up to 160 is 1 warm up cycle. Cool Down to 120 and back up to 160 would be #2. But could vary depending on the car.

Most scanners should have the Data PID's that will show you how many warm up cycles you have done and how long you have driven. If those are better than 200/15 you are good to go for a smog. Look in your "DataStream" or "Live Data" list. Here is what my scanner lists them as:
View post on imgur.com

I completed one Warm up cycle and have not driven the car at all.

INSPECTOR TROUBLES
As I mentioned people and smog inspectors do not seem to be up on this new information even though we had required training on it.
If you go for the smog and the inspector turns you away because of a permanent code tell them to kindy run your vehicle through the test. It's not thier job to save you from a fail. They are to run the vehicle as it is presented, that is what the BAR tells them.
If they wont give you a test file a complaint with the State BAR and keep trying another place. I got a guy with 4 complaints in on shops.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/bar/c...6%20464%2D3405
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 08:47 PM   #5
KiDTr0LL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8 / 2014 BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
Permanent codes are a new thing is 2010 and newer vehicles so folks are not up to speed on them yet. With the check engine light off and a permanent code present does not mean there is anything wrong with your car. It means there WAS something wrong with your car and those codes are going to stay around a while to make sure you fixed it right. If not for a CA SMOG you can basically ignore Permanent codes they are not hurting anyone hanging around inside a ECU.

You cannot clear a permanent code with a scanner or battery disconnect.

You can pass a CA SMOG check with a permanent code in place as long as you have these items in place:

No Check Engine Light (meaning no current codes)
Monitors Complete (Except for EVAP, that can be incomplete)
And this is the important part: Driven 200 miles and have 15 Warm Up cycles since the last time the DTC's codes were cleared. (Hopefully the dealer did not reset anything)

Now doing this 200/15 task will not clear the Permanent code but rather the CA SMOG machine has been programmed to ignore the Permanent codes if 200 / 15 is complete.

From the BAR: https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/PDTC
Are there circumstances under which a PDTC will not cause a vehicle to fail a Smog Check inspection?
Yes. PDTCs will be ignored if the vehicle has completed at least 15 warm-up cycles and been driven at least 200 miles since its OBD information was last cleared.

SO how to get warm up cycles fast:
Warm up cycles are simply the engine getting up to a normal operating temperature then cooling back down below a certain temp. Below is a video of a guy forcing them on a car with a fan to aid in cooling things down. This can be done in your driveway if you want. The standard for most cars is Up to 160 degrees then it wants to see a 40 degree difference. So cold start up to 160 is 1 warm up cycle. Cool Down to 120 and back up to 160 would be #2. But could vary depending on the car.

Most scanners should have the Data PID's that will show you how many warm up cycles you have done and how long you have driven. If those are better than 200/15 you are good to go for a smog. Look in your "DataStream" or "Live Data" list. Here is what my scanner lists them as:
View post on imgur.com

I completed one Warm up cycle and have not driven the car at all.

INSPECTOR TROUBLES
As I mentioned people and smog inspectors do not seem to be up on this new information even though we had required training on it.
If you go for the smog and the inspector turns you away because of a permanent code tell them to kindy run your vehicle through the test. It's not thier job to save you from a fail. They are to run the vehicle as it is presented, that is what the BAR tells them.
If they wont give you a test file a complaint with the State BAR and keep trying another place. I got a guy with 4 complaints in on shops.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/bar/c...6%20464%2D3405
Thanks for that information. I will drive the required 200 miles and the 15 warm up cycles. My car has no check engine light so that's good. Let's hope it stays that way.

Last edited by KiDTr0LL; 11-10-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 11:32 PM   #6
Jjoynt
Private
Rep
Drives: AY F82 CCBs MPE

I had to bring it to my BMW dealer to get emissions done. The other place didn't know what they were doing either and mentioned the book.
Appreciate 0