BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #6029
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

a good friend of mine (and multiple M3 owner) was up 6 figures in bitcoin years ago only to lose 90% of it. Could always be worse

https://stockinvest.us/stock/TRXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #6030
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Remember BRE-X...

I know people that sold at the right time and become millionaire and I know some that are still crying about not selling at the right time.

It's pretty simple; Buy Low, Sell High

https://www.businessinsider.com/bre-...donesia-2012-7
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:51 PM   #6031
M FUELED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Yea man, FOMO is real though
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #6032
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
so i'm a total newbie to investing in stock market individually
(have only had robo-managed accounts before)
i just joined Robinhood and threw a little money in there to test the waters

of course i got in right before the massive dropoff in October .. then everything recovered ... just to take a dump again this week

anyway
i thought it'd be fun to share our favorite stock picks ... act like we can predict the future
and just share experiences and discuss investment strategies

one of my biggest failures as a newbie in the past couple of weeks?
selling CVS stock the day before dividends were paid out
lol
that's how new i am

should have just held onto CVS as it's been gaining steadily while most other stocks are tanking

(if you want a referral link so we can both get a free stock in some company, please message me)
I wouldn't be too concerned when you sell a stock before dividends are paid out, usually a stock's value takes a slight hit after the payout anyway.

I am also in robinhood but actually thinking of transferring my stocks out of it (or most of them) in light of the recent stop-buys they enforced on several stocks, it just isn't right.

Anyway back on topic here are a few stocks that I like, several I have bought in early on in the pandemic and have ridden high:

Peloton PTON
General Motors GM
Pinterest PINS
Beyond meat BYND
Moderna MRNA

Here are a few that I expect to do well due to the economy opening up again
Darden restaurants (olive garden etc): DRI
Yelp YELP
Booking BKNG
Calloway Golf (owner of top golf): ELY
Jetblue: JBLU
Delta: DAL

For exposure to car sales:
Penske group auto dealer: PAG
BMW: BMWYY
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 08:24 PM   #6033
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUELED View Post
I’m upset because I was up $14,844.35 on the doggie crypto and I am now only profiting $4,622 because I decided to hold with all the hype about everyone holding and making it go up higher but I guess everyone ended wussing out and selling Sell outs. Anyway, I still plan on keeping my shares as I have hope that people will buy and hold again next week.
I think as peoples funds clear on robinhood it will go back up.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #6034
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
I think as peoples funds clear on robinhood it will go back up.
Doge is just too risky. 128 billion coins. I just dont see it getting much higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 10:30 PM   #6035
M FUELED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Honestly if it were to hit $10 I’d probably quit my job and invest my $2mil into something with big returns
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:54 AM   #6036
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSurratt2005 View Post
Doge is just too risky. 128 billion coins. I just dont see it getting much higher.
I bought it very low so I don’t mind even if I sit in it for a while. It was okay money lol. I don’t expect it to go to a $1 or anything but I do think it will go back up to 10cents again.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 08:02 AM   #6037
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I find it wonderful that we can speculate on the price of a meme. What a time to be alive!
Appreciate 5
      01-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #6038
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I am thinking we are reaching one of the biggest bubble markets of all time... we are still in the middle of a pandemic and are running on consistent govt stimulus, near zero interest rates and govt bad debt buy ups... yes there is no debt crisis yet, but there will be. It appears that like 2008, no one wants the party to stop... fundamentals are lacking at this point completely. FFS, Tesla's Market cap is 750 billion and their last quarter ebit is precentage points of that... Yeah, it's a good company, its not worth multiples every other car manufacturer that will soon have identical tech and a hundred years experience building cars. Oh and housing prices... it wasn't like this in 2008... call it supply and demand if you want... i call if too many people buying houses out of their reach at record low interest rates. I know probably 10 people that are looking at houses far more expensive than I would... the kicker, i make multiples what they do... good luck out there people.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615271.00
irunalot1518.00
Littlebear3509.50
      01-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #6039
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Party like it's 1999!!!!!
ASAP10161.00
      01-31-2021, 08:36 AM   #6040
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
To be clear - you're making stuff up. The reality is: Citadel doesn't own Melvin - it bought non-controlling revenue shares that expire, Citadel Securities (i.e. not the hedge fund) pays Robinhood, and regarding that last sentence - no I don't think they have such a right, nor is there any evidence that they did such a thing.
yeah I am sure Citadel doesn't mind losing their billions as long as they don't own Melvin.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 08:40 AM   #6041
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am thinking we are reaching one of the biggest bubble markets of all time... we are still in the middle of a pandemic and are running on consistent govt stimulus, near zero interest rates and govt bad debt buy ups... yes there is no debt crisis yet, but there will be. It appears that like 2008, no one wants the party to stop... fundamentals are lacking at this point completely. FFS, Tesla's Market cap is 750 billion and their last quarter ebit is precentage points of that... Yeah, it's a good company, its not worth multiples every other car manufacturer that will soon have identical tech and a hundred years experience building cars. Oh and housing prices... it wasn't like this in 2008... call it supply and demand if you want... i call if too many people buying houses out of their reach at record low interest rates. I know probably 10 people that are looking at houses far more expensive than I would... the kicker, i make multiples what they do... good luck out there people.
I respectfully disagree that we are in one of the biggest market bubbles. I am not sure that the broad market is in a bubble. You have a pandemic in which the world was forced not to socialize and spend on social services and products. Yet you have many of the companies that move the market making more money than before. Granted, some of that is driven by fed buying back and stimulus money going to peoples pockets, but the reality is the broader market is working despite the pandemic due to a technology shift no one ever would have believed possible.

Caveat 1: this is not to say the market doesnt pull back, it is set to pull back in the next 2-4 months bc thats what markets do in a period without great positive news on drivers (in this situation case numbers and vaccines).

Caveat 2: some stocks are likely in a bubble, including gamestop, tesla, amc, and others. You can still make money playing the news and speculation of them, but they can blow up or down. The fall of gamestop nor tesla would guarantee a bubble fall all of the broader market

Caveat 3: not being in a bubble doesn't mean the cookie crumbles evenly for all companies and all people. It is hopefully very clear that some companies especially small are not surviving this pandemic. And many jobs simply aren't coming back ever. The Unemplyment rate is going be high for years. The savings and net worth gaps between the haves and the haves nots is going to spread. These things can happen even with the market moving up, and not in a bubble, unfortunately.
Appreciate 7
P111572.00
ASAP10161.00
vreihen1615271.00
2000cs3502.50
Littlebear3509.50
      01-31-2021, 09:07 AM   #6042
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I respectfully disagree that we are in one of the biggest market bubbles. I am not sure that the broad market is in a bubble. You have a pandemic in which the world was forced not to socialize and spend on social services and products. Yet you have many of the companies that move the market making more money than before. Granted, some of that is driven by fed buying back and stimulus money going to peoples pockets, but the reality is the broader market is working despite the pandemic due to a technology shift no one ever would have believed possible.

Caveat 1: this is not to say the market doesnt pull back, it is set to pull back in the next 2-4 months bc thats what markets do in a period without great positive news on drivers (in this situation case numbers and vaccines).

Caveat 2: some stocks are likely in a bubble, including gamestop, tesla, amc, and others. You can still make money playing the news and speculation of them, but they can blow up or down. The fall of gamestop nor tesla would guarantee a bubble fall all of the broader market

Caveat 3: not being in a bubble doesn't mean the cookie crumbles evenly for all companies and all people. It is hopefully very clear that some companies especially small are not surviving this pandemic. And many jobs simply aren't coming back ever. The Unemplyment rate is going be high for years. The savings and net worth gaps between the haves and the haves nots is going to spread. These things can happen even with the market moving up, and not in a bubble, unfortunately.
I would say you make great points but everyone is missing the connection between wall street and mainstreet... and thats partially where this GME type stuff pops up. Having years of a high unemployment rate is devastating for a vast majority of people... if someone is just coming out of college right now, they are massively screwed. As you said, that divide will grow higher and higher... there will be a reset sooner than later.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 09:27 AM   #6043
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUELED View Post
I’m upset because I was up $14,844.35 on the doggie crypto and I am now only profiting $4,622 because I decided to hold with all the hype about everyone holding and making it go up higher but I guess everyone ended wussing out and selling Sell outs. Anyway, I still plan on keeping my shares as I have hope that people will buy and hold again next week.
You may feel better knowing that the majority of the paper millionaires who hold GME right now will go back to being thousandaires soon.

Maybe add some rules to your gambling strategy - yeah you'll lose money on average regardless, but with rules you may stress less.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615271.00
      01-31-2021, 09:41 AM   #6044
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
You may feel better knowing that the majority of the paper millionaires who hold GME right now will go back to being thousandaires soon.
...and (ironically) somebody is going to make billions riding that short all the way down.....
      01-31-2021, 09:56 AM   #6045
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
...and (ironically) somebody is going to make billions riding that short all the way down.....
But, in the meantime while the stock goes up, and as volatility goes up, the hedge funds need to hold more cash in their accounts to allow the short position. And with interest rates at zero, that cash position is effectively a money-loser. So the longer the stock price stays elevated, or worse: goes up, the harder it is for the hedge funds to hold. Its a question of who has diamond hands. 🍿
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:55 AM   #6046
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Watching silver tomorrow with some interest. I bought a Canadian maple leaf monster box (500 coins) back in 2011 and completely forgot about it. If I remember correctly I was in for about $31 a coin so as you can see it's been a great investment up until this time!! ;P

I haven't even looked at the stupid box in years, depending what the price does over the next couple days I might finally dump it all.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 11:22 AM   #6047
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Traders do not like to keep positions open over the weekend. ... Not all stocks but Friday's are known as sell off days for traders as they're trying to minimize bankroll loss by pulling out and holding over the weekend.
For traders yes. for people who dont know what they're doing...no
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 11:32 AM   #6048
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

following the forums there is alot of people who are waiting for their accounts to get approval in order to buy into doge. I've already got my auto sell price set. It's been floating around .03 for this whole weekend. People panic selling and new ones coming in. once a wave of approvals finally happens hopefully next week you'll see it rise again. It probably wont spike like it did but I'll take a gradual climb any day.
Appreciate 1
kanovic456.00
      02-01-2021, 06:52 AM   #6049
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You guys hear about HCMC yet? Huge amount of chatter and watches waiting for open
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #6050
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

I'd really appreciate some answers on these:
  1. Mathematically, how is possible to short 140% of anything? If I have 100$, how can someone borrow 140$ of it?

2. I am assuming the short positions can be extended (indefinitely?), and this is how the shorters have been dragging this on? And there are fees/interest paid to the share lenders until the position is closed?

3. Why do Hedge Funds get cash infusion from their peer? Aren't they competitors?
Appreciate 0