Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3 Series vs Tesla Model 3

09-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #573
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras550 View Post
Even Bob Lutz, huge Tesla critic, admitted that fit and finish and “panel gaps” were impeccable on the model 3.

As for the interior, I love the black and white interior on my 3. Not sure if you’ve seen a 3 with it? It has a space age vibe and easily the best interior I’ve been in. (The standard black interior does feel a little drab but so does the black interior on any bmw - I’ve had had a couple of those too).
You can listen to Bob Lutz, or you can go out and look at the panel gaps and interior quality of a Model 3 and then look at those of a 3 Series.
Appreciate 5
Fuller1216.50
MmmmmM22578.00
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      09-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #574
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
You can listen to Bob Lutz, or you can go out and look at the panel gaps and interior quality of a Model 3 and then look at those of a 3 Series.
Bob Lutz also said Buick would be "the new class of world class." He's a smart guy, but let's not act like everything he says is gold.
Appreciate 5
      09-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #575
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
Bob Lutz also said Buick would be "the new class of world class." He's a smart guy, but let's not act like everything he says is gold.
Not everything he says is gold - far from it actually. My point is that he's been and continues to be a big Tesla critic and has turned his view around on the fit/finish

My main point remains that you shouldn't believe everything piece of FUD that is reported in the media. The very first model 3s off the assembly line had some panel gap and paint issues. That was a long time ago (for a company that improves as fast as Tesla) and anything produced in the last 1 year has perfect fit and finish.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #576
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras550 View Post
Not everything he says is gold - far from it actually. My point is that he's been and continues to be a big Tesla critic and has turned his view around on the fit/finish

My main point remains that you shouldn't believe everything piece of FUD that is reported in the media. The very first model 3s off the assembly line had some panel gap and paint issues. That was a long time ago (for a company that improves as fast as Tesla) and anything produced in the last 1 year has perfect fit and finish.
My friend recently got a new Model 3 and it has huge gaps in panels. Secondly, the interior is subpar not just because of fit and finish but also because of material quality. Lastly, his car was just rear-ended. For any other car, it would be about a $5k job and maybe a week for repairs. For his Model 3, it is a $15k CDN job, and it has taken them so far 2 months and counting.

Tesla may be the better daily driving car, but fails to measure up in other important areas.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #577
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325d E90 LCI M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
Were you maybe using the mechanical emergency door release lever when opening the door from the inside, rather than the electronic button near the top of the arm rest assembly? If so, the windows don't drop to clear the weatherstripping, which not only makes the doors harder to open and close, it can also damage the weatherstripping over time if done too much...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. To me, the center console feels as solid as a rock, and the upholstered arm rest is really nice.

The gloss black plastic covers over the 2 center console bins are the cheapest parts of the interior trim. I wrapped/covered mine with a woodgrain wrap that matches the open-pore wood dash trim strip perfectly. Took 15 minutes, was very inexpensive and really classes up the overall cabin vibe. It looks OEM.

Hope you end up liking the 3 as much as 95+ of its owners do...
I was using the button to open the doors as supposed to, not using the mechanical emergency release. I am preety familiar with the car and watched dozens of videos on youtube.

Actually, the doors on the G20 are rock solid when closing, they have that nice thud you expect from a premium car. The doors on Tesla, unfortunately, have same sound like my 20 years old Golf MK4. Probably can be improved with some Dynamat and extra seals but still...disappointing for a car at this price level.

The trunk also sounds cheap on Model 3. I get it, they were supposed to save weight and skipped adding extra sound deadening but man...its quite embarrassing shutting the trunk lid in the parking lot. G20 in that regards is excellent, it does not resonate or vibrate when closing the trunk lid.

Regarding the center console, the piano black is crappy I think many owners are going for wrapping it. Should be offered from factory as an option.

I am sure I will enjoy it but I tend to be very focused on quality details when buying a car.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      09-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #578
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmury View Post
...I am sure I will enjoy it but I tend to be very focused on quality details when buying a car.
The Model 3 isn't a perfect car, but the overall driving/ownership experience is fantastic, IMO.

No other vehicle combines performance, extremely low maintenance and running costs, comfort and quality at anything near its price. You'll discover that the audio system is simply outstanding, as well.

It's the total package that has made the Model 3 so popular.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
vladmury101.00
      10-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #579
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

The Model 3 is 184.8″ long. I used this search to find this information:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tesl...ngth+in+inches

That makes it just slightly smaller than the G20 which is 185.4" long according to Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=G20+...ngth+in+inches

Incidentally, I parked my G20 loaner near a Model recently to compare them side-by-side and, as I was getting back into the car, the Tesla went into Sentry mode, flashed its lights, and the touchscreen indicated that it was filming. I wasn't particularly close to the car, but I had to be somewhat close to get back into my car. This might get annoying if it's always going off in crowded parking lots. I'm not sure if you can adjust the sensitivity or not have it notify the world it is recording. It is definitely nice that it actually has a security system though.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #580
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

It is still smaller than the E60 5-series but catching up. The styling, and maybe the grille, makes it look bigger than it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #581
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

The Model 3 looks smaller because it is taller and might a say a tad frumpier. Whereas 3-series design looks lower due to a wider stance and lines. This is just based on visual cues not measurements.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #582
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I'm pretty sure the Tesla 3 ends up with at least as good interior space as the G20 due to not having a piston engine, gas-tank, etc.
      10-17-2019, 01:19 AM   #583
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I'm pretty sure the Tesla 3 ends up with at least as good interior space as the G20 due to not having a piston engine, gas-tank, etc.
I think it's mainly more head room due to glass roof. The nose in the model 3 is much shorter, like a front wheel drive car vs. the long hood in the bimmer for the straight six.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #584
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Incidentally, I parked my G20 loaner near a Model recently to compare them side-by-side and, as I was getting back into the car, the Tesla went into Sentry mode, flashed its lights, and the touchscreen indicated that it was filming. I wasn't particularly close to the car, but I had to be somewhat close to get back into my car. This might get annoying if it's always going off in crowded parking lots. I'm not sure if you can adjust the sensitivity or not have it notify the world it is recording. It is definitely nice that it actually has a security system though.
This is intentional and I actually appreciate that it does this. It made you aware of its security in a very measured way. If you had any malicious intent, at this point you would realize the car is aware of your actions and would have a chance to reconsider. An alarm system that gives bad guys a chance to step away is better than the one that just alerts the owner to the damage that's already been done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
It has more space in all directions. At least an extra inch of the rear passenger legroom, more comfort for the middle passenger because the floor is flat, a bit more shoulder room, and obviously tons more headroom.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #585
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
This is intentional and I actually appreciate that it does this. It made you aware of its security in a very measured way. If you had any malicious intent, at this point you would realize the car is aware of your actions and would have a chance to reconsider. An alarm system that gives bad guys a chance to step away is better than the one that just alerts the owner to the damage that's already been done.
The lady that keyed the Tesla and had the sentry video go viral didn't reconsider or it was already too late to reconsider as she had keyed the car already might as well keep going.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #586
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The lady that keyed the Tesla and had the sentry video go viral didn't reconsider or it was already too late to reconsider as she had keyed the car already might as well keep going.
She wouldn't notice the alarm even if it hit her on her head.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562938.00
      10-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #587
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
As someone that had a Model 3 Performance on order last year, I can say I am so happy I canceled and went with the new M340xi. ICE vs Electric aside, the interior of the Model 3 just felt so incredibly cheap to me. I like the minimalistic approach to a degree, but after being in my M340 for only a few days now, I really appreciate how much they stuffed into the interior of the car. The HUD is amazing for daily driving, the ambient lighting is really cool at night, then the overall technology from ID7 extending into the dash is also really nice.

From a comfort and build quality standpoint, the M340 is leaps above the Model 3 in my opinion. The seats are perfect, every door has good weight and a nice thud to it, and the materials inside just feel like they should be in a 60k car.

The tech in the Model 3 is super impressive and fun, but I just couldnt bring myself to spend that money and sacrifice so much on the interior/build quality. I'll definitely re-evaluate in a few years, but for now I am extremely happy with the G20.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #588
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
As someone that had a Model 3 Performance on order last year, I can say I am so happy I canceled and went with the new M340xi. ICE vs Electric aside, the interior of the Model 3 just felt so incredibly cheap to me. I like the minimalistic approach to a degree, but after being in my M340 for only a few days now, I really appreciate how much they stuffed into the interior of the car. The HUD is amazing for daily driving, the ambient lighting is really cool at night, then the overall technology from ID7 extending into the dash is also really nice.

From a comfort and build quality standpoint, the M340 is leaps above the Model 3 in my opinion. The seats are perfect, every door has good weight and a nice thud to it, and the materials inside just feel like they should be in a 60k car.

The tech in the Model 3 is super impressive and fun, but I just couldnt bring myself to spend that money and sacrifice so much on the interior/build quality. I'll definitely re-evaluate in a few years, but for now I am extremely happy with the G20.
Sounds like you made the right decision and never actually drove an M3P.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #589
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like you made the right decision and never actually drove an M3P.
Test drove it probably 5 times...what's your point?
Appreciate 1
Gorkyg48.00
      10-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #590
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You didn't say a word about the dynamics. Are the interior design and infotainment the only things that matter to you?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:39 AM   #591
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
You didn't say a word about the dynamics. Are the interior design and infotainment the only things that matter to you?
Well to be fair, interior quality, design and tech are many of the main points people like to debate about when comparing ANY two or more cars, so let's not act like considering them doesn't have merit. He prefaced his post by setting aside the difference(s) between ICE and EV, likely because that's not what he wanted to focus on.
Appreciate 1
crbalch472.50
      10-23-2019, 03:21 AM   #592
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Quote:
Considered an m3p after my f30 340, test drove a couple times the instant torque is very nice, but other then that it driving dynamics where not much better then my 340, interior was worse from a quality standpoint, so I Made the decision to get a m340 and it completely blows the m3p away in every single way possible, well maybe besides speed in the performance model.
Appreciate 1
crbalch472.50
      10-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #593
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
M340 is unbelievably fun to drive in that it's ultra responsive, very quick, and has a great sound to match. It's also much more engaging considering I can actually shift if I want to. M3P was lightning fast, but that was about it for me. Didn't really satisfy me aside from its 0-60 party trick which would inevitably get old for me. M340 was the much better all around choice for me based on all these things.
Appreciate 1
Gorkyg48.00
      10-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #594
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well to be fair, interior quality, design and tech are many of the main points people like to debate about when comparing ANY two or more cars, so let's not act like considering them doesn't have merit. He prefaced his post by setting aside the difference(s) between ICE and EV, likely because that's not what he wanted to focus on.
Thanks that hits the nail on the head. I could have probably been totally happy with the Model 3 had the interior/build quality lined up with the price of the car. Just felt cheap for a 70k car. I know it's not 70 anymore but that was another thing that rubbed me the wrong way - their price fluctuations every week.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Gorkyg48.00