Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
RRBerman
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, 2014 i3, 2015 i8

Interior Lighting Disappearing

The blue trim light on the center of my dashboard comes and goes randomly. All other lights work just fine. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this in their i8's. The car still under warranty but I'm concerned that they may not be able to duplicate it. Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I would let them know it's acting sporadically and they will likely replace the LEDs in the center console without having to replicate the problem.

I had the center screen on my i8 reboot 3 times and they swapped the head unit out without trying to replicate the problem.

In the process of replacing the head unit, they broke one of the LEDs in the center console that lights the left door LED strip. I don't know how the LED in console would light the door, but apparently there are two LEDs in there that light everything and probably use fiber optic cables.

I took mine back to have that fixed and they broke the iDrive controller. So 3 trips to the dealer to fix one initial problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

The light around the drive selector went on mine but the dealer sorted it with a new light unit (and left an annoying rattle that I had to go back for to fix)!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:58 AM   #4
RRBerman
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, 2014 i3, 2015 i8

Thank you. That's what I'm afraid of. More damage than repairs. It will act up in any color so I'm not so sure it's the LED. It dims as it comes and goes so it would appear to me that it's related to whatever controls the lighting (not sure what module that would be).
Appreciate 0