Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-24-2020, 05:19 AM   #1
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Pre and Post LCI bonnet vent - interchangeable (looks it?)

I have an LCI Coupe that I will be getting in a week or so, but think the pre-LCI bonnet vent looks a lot better. They look very reasonably priced to buy and it wouldn't be difficult to get painted.

Does anyone know if the 'air shutter' on the LCI can be switched for the pre-LCI vent like for like - looks like it? Thinking of changing part 7 for part 5 and 6.

Purely from a cosmetic point of view!

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2378
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

I would be interested in learning if that is possible. The design was mainly to stop hot air from entering the cabin the roadster with the roof down. The coupe does not benefit and it hurts the aerodynamics of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
I would be interested in learning if that is possible. The design was mainly to stop hot air from entering the cabin the roadster with the roof down. The coupe does not benefit and it hurts the aerodynamics of the car.
I believe (and am ready to be shot down in flames) that you are right and that with the Roadster, the design was changed so that the hot air didn’t flow into the cabin over the roof, but think about it... where is that excess air going now?

I was told at my dealer that the LCI had additional vents under the car which pre-LCI cars don’t have. In my opinion you would cause issues if you blocked this outlet in a pre-LCI car.

Do you have an extract fan in the bathroom? Would you think about blocking the outlet except for a tiny slit? It wouldn’t work right?

Just my opinion and listening to the BMW tech guy at the dealer, my invalidate warranty perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Personally i wouldn't mess with it, but the original bonnet scoop is to me one of those 'so cool' features along with the doors and wings and ducts that elevates this car above the norm.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

I think both I an original poster have a LCI i8 with the outlet blocked and want to add the outlet as in the original pre-LCI i8 as that was one of the cool features of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
I think both I an original poster have a LCI i8 with the outlet blocked and want to add the outlet as in the original pre-LCI i8 as that was one of the cool features of the car.
Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
I believe (and am ready to be shot down in flames) that you are right and that with the Roadster, the design was changed so that the hot air didn’t flow into the cabin over the roof, but think about it... where is that excess air going now?

I was told at my dealer that the LCI had additional vents under the car which pre-LCI cars don’t have. In my opinion you would cause issues if you blocked this outlet in a pre-LCI car.

Do you have an extract fan in the bathroom? Would you think about blocking the outlet except for a tiny slit? It wouldn’t work right?

Just my opinion and listening to the BMW tech guy at the dealer, my invalidate warranty perhaps?
It’ll be the other way around - the LCI has air diverted under the car now.

The new question is will this cause negative pressure due to air going above the roof rather than below? It looks like a simple switch I hope and hopefully would not affect warranty - it’s only the bonnet vent!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Personally i wouldn't mess with it, but the original bonnet scoop is to me one of those 'so cool' features along with the doors and wings and ducts that elevates this car above the norm.
Agreed, that’s why I started looking! I think the LCI should not have been changed but I read it was easier for both coupe and roadster to have the same chassis and bodywork changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
It’ll be the other way around - the LCI has air diverted under the car now.

The new question is will this cause negative pressure due to air going above the roof rather than below? It looks like a simple switch I hope and hopefully would not affect warranty - it’s only the bonnet vent!
Hmmm, I have a pre lci coupe and I too love the deep bonnet scoop of the earlier version.

However, it does pump out alot of hot air, a lot! Also the fan comes on often when you plug the car in after a drive. I assume to cool the electric motor.

I think if you have a problem with the motor, bmw will blame your mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Squarekins View Post
Hmmm, I have a pre lci coupe and I too love the deep bonnet scoop of the earlier version.

However, it does pump out alot of hot air, a lot! Also the fan comes on often when you plug the car in after a drive. I assume to cool the electric motor.

I think if you have a problem with the motor, bmw will blame your mod.
If its really easy to swap over then as long as you change it back when it needs work at the dealer, who's to know?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #11
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

You'd think as the internals are largely the same in that area, it'd be designed to cope with a certain amount of ingress of water etc.

Logically there are minimal changes in this area, as if they had managed to duct the air completely away in this area, internally, then they wouldn't need to air shutter to stop hot air entering the cabin. So I reckon they'll have redirected it a little underneath the car but need the air shutter to stop any escape via the bonnet. I would think then retrofitting a duct would cause little problems with water ingress and also air pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 06:10 AM   #12
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Agree. Just look at the some of the Ferraris with equally deep front bonnet scoops - although the new store scoop is more like the M1's....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #13
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

The deep scoop is also great for warming your fleecy hat when going walking in the hills. Park up, gloves on rear engine vents, chuck hat in bonnet scoop whilst you put your walking boots on. All toasty in 2 mins.

Wonder if i could warm up a pannini in some foil?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Squarekins View Post
The deep scoop is also great for warming your fleecy hat when going walking in the hills. Park up, gloves on rear engine vents, chuck hat in bonnet scoop whilst you put your walking boots on. All toasty in 2 mins.

Wonder if i could warm up a pannini in some foil?
I’m sure you could cook a Chicken in the boot given a long run!
Appreciate 0