BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
edpm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8, 2021 X5 M50i, 1995 M3

Protecting the front spoiler

Has anyone seen a product that could be applied or attached to the underside of the front spoiler to help protect against inadvertent pavement and curb scrapes?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:40 AM   #2
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 + Lamborghini Huracan LP610

I'd like to know this as well. Mine is being lowered as we speak. I have thick aftermarket guards on my huracan which are a life saver & would love to know if anyone makes any for the i8 as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
The i8 already has guards for the underside front bumper. You could add more protection, there's aftermarket guards sold online that are universal and you could also wrap the front bumper in a Clearbra but I don't see why this would be necessary. I'm driving my i8 lowered by about an inch and still find the car to be pretty high off the ground and driveable. Have scraped the guard quite a few times but never damaged the actual front lip. Roads aren't great here in SoFlo but even then I think you have to be a pretty damn careless driver to damage it this way specially at stock ride height.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
The i8 already has guards for the underside front bumper. You could add more protection, there's aftermarket guards sold online that are universal and you could also wrap the front bumper in a Clearbra but I don't see why this would be necessary. I'm driving my i8 lowered by about an inch and still find the car to be pretty high off the ground and driveable. Have scraped the guard quite a few times but never damaged the actual front lip. Roads aren't great here in SoFlo but even then I think you have to be a pretty damn careless driver to damage it this way specially at stock ride height.
Your Florida roads must be really good. I've scraped the front end on driveways and from potholes and the middle of the car over speed humps. And I am running stock. A slammed i8 in L.A. would soon disintegrate unless it's a garage queen. And my i8 is a DD.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

To Malibubimmer's point, I've used aftermarket guards in previous carbon fiber sports cars. They worked well for scrapes but I've had to perform CF front end repair on two occasions (one caused by a steep sloped ramp and the other by a ridiculously high speed bump), despite having them wrapped all around and beneath the perimeter of the front spoiler. To add insult to injury, both vehicles were stock throughout.

The i8, for me, has not escaped the treacherous roads around the Bay Area. I've scraped the i8 on three occasions, despite its higher ground clearance. Fortunately, the contacts were made on the underside of the engine insulation panel between the front wheel and the front spoiler. Fortunately, there were no telltale marks or scrapes to speak of, once the flexible engine panel was cleaned with a damp cloth.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Your Florida roads must be really good. I've scraped the front end on driveways and from potholes and the middle of the car over speed humps. And I am running stock. A slammed i8 in L.A. would soon disintegrate unless it's a garage queen. And my i8 is a DD.
To be honest some of the roads here are absolutely terrible, but my commutes are very repetitive so I know exactly what to expect. Also went through a lot of growing pains with my first lowered car and figured out the right angles to approach the usual obstacles that damaged my previous vehicle. Another thing I've noticed about the i8's front bumper is that it seems to be angled upwards, as opposed to say my M6's front bumper which seemed to be pointing down towards the road. I expect if I ever went past the plastic guards I would most likely only damaged the bottom part that's virtually invisible without crawling under the car, not the actual nose. My concern with the i8's ground clearance is more with the amounts of debris that construction trucks seem to be dropping on I-95 here in Florida, but I've been surprised by the i8 having warned me about debris on the road multiple times.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0