BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
Romann_28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Can someone explain the proper way to get good MPG

I’m a little confused at the mpg. Everytime I fully charge it, it says 14 miles on electric. As soon as I drive off, drive less than a mile it says 8-9 left.. how is that possible
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #2
arijaycomet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

You will see 14-16 miles on the electric “guess-o-meter” typically — but it can be less/more depending on how you have been driving. I’ve seen 20+ ... but after a track event, I actually had a full EV charge show ~5 miles! :P so again really just depends on the prior driving you’ve been doing.

If you want to get max MPG drive the car in regular Drive mode (avoid Sport mode) and try to be slow/gentle on the acceleration. If you put the car into EV mode you can get an idea of what max EV throttle is like — and so then in Drive mode, try to stay down there, too. That said, long periods of moderate speed (40-60mph) might actually result in better MPG since stop-and-go driving is not super good in any car, gas or electric.

One thing I often do is put the car into forced EV only mode driving to/from the freeway, and then regular Drive mode on the freeway, with cruise set around 60-70mph depending on conditions. I’m usually able to get 42-45mpg net overall in this scenario. Hope this helps!

PS: remember that in winter the EV mode miles will be far worse, as you are noticing — but come summer time in warm weather 16-18 miles per charge might actually occur!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Turn off A/C
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romann_28 View Post
I’m a little confused at the mpg. Everytime I fully charge it, it says 14 miles on electric. As soon as I drive off, drive less than a mile it says 8-9 left.. how is that possible
Use preconditioning! If you know when you are leaving then set that time as your departure and if the car is plugged into the mains, the battery and cabin will be conditioned ready for your departure using the mains. Without preconditioning you are wasting battery power from the off.
Appreciate 0