BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-12-2020, 11:34 PM   #1
bonitobonito
Registered
Rep
Drives: i8

"Scared" of buying the i8

Hi there, I'm new here Sorry for my English!

I've been interested in the i8 for years, last 2 months more intensely. I saw a good offer in my country, but I honestly I can't decide. Why:

1- Is it that wide or big in person? I live in a discrete small city (250k) and never seen one in person. It's not even available for exposition in my local BMW house.
I read someone here saying: "wow, it's really wide/big in person!"

2- I'm naturally an introvert guy that doesn't like to be the centre of attention, that would make me anxious, lol.

I'm literally in love with this car, but I don't know how it would affect me if everyday people is staring at the car/etc etc.

Maybe in a bigger city the "impact" would be smaller, but as I said it's a super discrete town. Nothing really happens here xD There are no luxury cars here (well, big AMG-Mercedes for older people, some second hand RS6s, etc)

Maybe I'm making it bigger in my mind? I told my brother that I was looking to get an i8 and his reaction was like "WTF are you crazy lol, these type of cars are for guys that seek attention, blabla"

What do you think about these 2 points? Thanks a lot guys
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 11:45 PM   #2
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora, BMW i8

The car is wider when parked, as you need to watch side mirrors from other cars when the doors open up. If you worry about attention, get a darker color like sophisto gray with gray accent. It will blend it just fine, and you wont get much attention driving around until you park and doors go up. Im also a very introverted person, but ive managed just fine with it. Get the car that make you happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:08 AM   #3
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Introverted person here. I get much attentiion even here in Switzerland. Honestly, I got used to it quite fast. I even enjoy the regular conversations at the gasstation, parkinglot etc. I had lots of nice cars (even Porsches), but none onf them were as beauty and nice to drive, like the i8. I will keep it forever, like my E30 Convertible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Don't care about people staring, it will happen. Just drive what you want.
You're giving too much power to other people by worrying about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

First, you must hop on a train and go see an i8 in person. Second, most of us do not want to appear pretentious. We don't want to look as if we are trying to get attention. The attention itself is positive with the i8, I have only gotten nice compliments; that will be good for you to be a bit less shy. The i8 is a bit wide so you will need to avoid some narrow spots. I love the car, and the ability to run just on electric is great for the Euro city centers.

My advice would be to get one new at a good price; not sure if that is still possible in Spain.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

I went through exactly the same thoughts and dilemmas, causing me to delay my i8 purchase for about 6 months. I finally bought one and can honestly say that I have never regretted it. It's a lovely thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Agree with everyone else.

The car is wider then you will probably expect.
The car attracts alot of attention. I have my introvert moods as well...and the attention has never been a problem. It is always very positive attention, and if there is a conversation it has always been a positive convo.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 01:37 AM   #8
Culminator
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

Although the car is indeed quite wide, it doesn't feel wide to drive. Unlike other high end cars, the I8 doesn't seem to attract the "wrong" attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Well, here in Texas, where everything is big and wide, the i8 seems almost petite. Is is only 2.5" (6.4 CM) wider than an M3. And compared to pick-up trucks, it is slim. The visual sense of width is enhanced by the low, flat silhouette.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
bonitobonito
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Well, here in Texas, where everything is big and wide, the i8 seems almost petite. Is is only 2.5" (6.4 CM) wider than an M3. And compared to pick-up trucks, it is slim. The visual sense of width is enhanced by the low, flat silhouette.
Interesting point of view, and, it's possible that it looks less low in photos/videos than it really is?

My mind is tricking me about scales xD

When I check the height it's actually similar to some Ferraris or Aston Martins, and these are pretty low in person.

It's even lower than the Jaguar F-Type, I saw one of these in Japan and I was like wooow.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I am 6'2" (1.88 M), and need to duck/limbo a bit to enter the one leg in first entry method. With seat all the way down, you are pretty low relative to drivers in other cars. The Dallas, TX Lamborghini club visited Waco yesterday and it was interesting to compare the i8 to over 200 lambos and ferraris. My take was that the i8 has a similar profile, but seems more logical yet beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #12
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep

Am I the only one who enters the car backwards? Sit on the sill, swing one leg in, then lower into the seat?

I find that I get zero 'scrubbing' against the seat bolsters and it always looks controlled and elegant

As all say only ever positive comments about the i8. Even a policeman gave me the thumbs up this morning.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

I’m also not the poser guy but just love design and tech, what made the i8 so adorable for me. I didn’t immediately feel right in the car the first time because everything seemed new and different. But after a long holiday trip 2’000 Mi through Germany it finally felt like „my horse“ and I still remember the great moment when I realized that.
Coincidentally I will go on my second long road trip 700 Mi to Berlin tomorrow and I can‘t hardly wait to take off. Yes, it’s really more like entering and piloting an aircraft than a car. If you love that imagination, definitely get one!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep

Try driving your i8:

At night
In rain
On the motorway
... with Bladerunner soundtrack playing.

Imagination runs wild!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #15
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Squarekins View Post
Am I the only one who enters the car backwards? Sit on the sill, swing one leg in, then lower into the seat?

I find that I get zero 'scrubbing' against the seat bolsters and it always looks controlled and elegant

As all say only ever positive comments about the i8. Even a policeman gave me the thumbs up this morning.
I get in the same way. For me, it requires no more effort than getting into a normal car. I am 6' tall. When getting out, I put my left leg on the ground (left hand drive, of course) then push out of the car with my right leg. Easy as can be. I watch other people struggle doing it the opposite way, then they complain about how hard it is. Maybe I'm missing something, but it's just not that difficult.

As for attention, yes, lots of it - even around other exotics that are way more expensive. But, as mentioned above, it has all been positive. Funny, there are plenty of haters on the Internet (who have never driven the car), but the general public, and even other enthusiasts, seem to love the i8. It's a special car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Apologies for the tangent. For me it is way more efficient and fast to put right leg in first and slip in leaning backwards. Butt first sideways is clumsy.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #17
jamesbilluk
Private
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 320d convertible

It is quite a wide car, you do get used to it though, when driving it, it handles so well, and feels so light, it shrinks around you,

I'm also quote a shy person (the girlfriend ha sno idea why I bought it!) it does get quite a bit of attention, as others have said, it's all positive attention, had a nice chat the other day at a petrol station to a mother taking a picture for her son. Even in silent mode it has people looking.

With entry, I have developed a reverse 'controlled fall' into the seat, getting out I've found is harder!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #18
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
I get in the same way. For me, it requires no more effort than getting into a normal car. I am 6' tall. When getting out, I put my left leg on the ground (left hand drive, of course) then push out of the car with my right leg. Easy as can be. I watch other people struggle doing it the opposite way, then they complain about how hard it is. Maybe I'm missing something, but it's just not that difficult.

As for attention, yes, lots of it - even around other exotics that are way more expensive. But, as mentioned above, it has all been positive. Funny, there are plenty of haters on the Internet (who have never driven the car), but the general public, and even other enthusiasts, seem to love the i8. It's a special car.
Ditto for me for both ingress and egress.
I'm 6' and overweight. Getting in this way works well. Getting out took a little bit of practice to do it smoothly. Now it's effortless.
Appreciate 0