BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

1st Gen i8 coupe vs 2nd Gen i8 roadster / real life views

Purchased my 3rd i8 at the start of the year which was (still is) a 2020 pre-registered roadster which had 0 miles on the clock.

This replaced a 2015 coupe which i owned from new.

Did not get a much chance to drive it much mainly due to Covid till recently.

I absolutely loved my coupe and only changed because the 'upgrade' cost was reasonable and i assumed that with only 3,000 roadsters made versus 20,000 coupes, it was a better place to have my money long term (neither were lease cars).

So my main remarks are the following:

1/ i find that the roof mechanism and affiliated gubbins make the car significantly noisier. My coupe used to be ultra smooth, absolutely and perfectly quiet. The roadster roof (when up) has a few squeaks on the typical broken UK tarmac. It feels less refined. I had noticed it when i first test drove a roadster back in 2018. So it's not just my car.

2/ The suspension is noticeably firmer on the newer car. My coupe was very flowing and the steering was fast and 'glassy' with little feedback. The roadster has a meatier steering. A touch more feel.
The behavior of the new car is worse on broken countryside lanes. The handling may benefit on smoother roads but i did not have much chance to experience this.

3/ wind in the air driving in this sort of car is obviously great. Once the roof is down, the above noises disappear obviously since the joints of the roof no longer interact with the windows and general body of the car. Ideally, you want to drive the roadster roof down all the time...

4/ the other day, i did a long-ish drive, went to the sea, parked the car and came back to drive back home: trying to put the roof down, the mechanism got stuck in mid-process. That was highly disconcerting!
I stopped and started the car multiple times and nothing worked to get the roof either fully up or fully down. I looked a bit silly with the rood stuck mid-way.
The only thing that eventually fixed the problem was to close the car with the remote control with the finger kept for a long time on the lock button. Roof completed its action. And then normal operation resumed. Very strange indeed. Not something i want to see happening too often. It's a BMW, not a McLaren

Conclusion: I dearly, dearly loved my gen 1 coupe and the same feeling is not (YET) there with the roadster. It could happen though

Any other views, comments, experiences between the 1 and 2 gen cars, please contribute.

Last edited by ericsi; 10-26-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

I had a 2016 Coupe and now a 2019 Coupe. I cannot find any real discernible difference between the two cars except for the added range and a little firmer suspension. The old car would average 14-16 miles on a charge and new one is between 24-29 miles. That does not seem much but makes a big difference on daily drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

About point 4. Roof action stalled while driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

Useful info. I've been toying with trading my 2017 coupe for a roadster, but just can't find the 'urge'. Targa Porsches now looking competitive used.

Last edited by Mr Squarekins; 10-26-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Squarekins View Post
Useful info. I've been toying with trading my 2017 coupe for a roadster, but just can't find the 'urge'. Targa Porsches now looking competitive used.
For what is it worth the Roadster was a no-go for me because you lose the back seats and a front facing baby seat fits perfectly in the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_1M View Post
About point 4. Roof action stalled while driving?
It was sub 5mph. Fully aware of 30mph threshold.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #7
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Squarekins View Post
Had many 911’s of all flavours over the years (964rs, gt3’s, turbo s etc). For me i prefer to move away from the 911 formula, if possible, i’d rather notget sucked back into it.

I like 991 carrera T and gt3 Touring though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
For what is it worth the Roadster was a no-go for me because you lose the back seats and a front facing baby seat fits perfectly in the back seat.
Agree, the 4 seats are important. I have a 4 y-o and a 2 y-o. Thing is, i realised that 99% of time we were 1 or 2 in the car.

When with family, rather use other cars. Kids don’t enjoy much being squeezed in the back.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:35 AM   #9
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

I own a 2014 Coupe and a 2020 roadster.

The roadster is a lot of fun, sounds better and has a reasonably practical electric range.
The "old" coupe weighs 90 kg less and is much more lively to drive despite the stronger understeer. I also like the older, simple menu control of the V.001 software rather than the Windows look of the tiles. A little cluttered ...

What I don't like (both models):
Programming the garage door opener is a nightmare when you have a rolling code system. The teaching of the remote units only works if the system is Home Link compatible. And these are very few systems. After three days of pressing buttons I finally gave up.
Roadster:
The wireless charging of the display key only works if something is stuck between the key and the locking hook. I hate fumbling out the cover for the USB connector. Somehow this is not thought through to the end..
Appreciate 1
ericsi123.50
      10-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
Agree, the 4 seats are important. I have a 4 y-o and a 2 y-o. Thing is, i realised that 99% of time we were 1 or 2 in the car.

When with family, rather use other cars. Kids don’t enjoy much being squeezed in the back.
Agreed but quick trips in a last minute scenario makes a world of a difference i.e. need to pick up a kid from school because my wife is running late and she has the sedan.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agreed but quick trips in a last minute scenario makes a world of a difference i.e. need to pick up a kid from school because my wife is running late and she has the sedan.
Indeed you are absolutely right. My 4 y-o can go in the front seat as long as a child seat is fitted there obviously. She loves it and feels very special.
Appreciate 1
Cal30.50
      10-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #12
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
Indeed you are absolutely right. My 4 y-o can go in the front seat as long as a child seat is fitted there obviously. She loves it and feels very special.
With the coupe i have the child seat permanently installed in the back seat, if ever needed. It does not effect the use of the front passenger seat, so i do not have to worry removing the seat and is always there for those last minute scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #13
racer7
Rep
Drives: tbc

Quote:
I had a 2016 Coupe and now a 2019 Coupe. I cannot find any real discernible difference between the two cars except for the added range and a little firmer suspension. The old car would average 14-16 miles on a charge and new one is between 24-29 miles. That does not seem much but makes a big difference on daily drives.
Sorry to bump this post but made sense rather than start a similar thread.

I have convinced myself to go for it a get an i8 coupe (although the rarity factor and potential for appreciation makes the roadster tempting).

So to that end I am now a bit more understanding of the subtle changes between the LCI and older version but have a few questions....

The 24-29miles of range - is this more reflective of the general consensus for range (as opposed to the quoted 31-35miles)?

I suspect battery condition will have some impact on this - is there any way when looking over a prospective i8 to check the health status of this? E.g if one has been left to discharge loads of times or run in harsh winters conditions then I suspect it might not be as happy = lower miles range.

I read on here about some changes to the front vent and a strut bar (maybe) that has a negative impact on the LCI performance/handling. Any further opinions on this?

I also never noticed (until reading here) the subtle difference in hood intake. I would totally want to change this to the original look. Any body just tried to swap over a whole bonnet?! Theoretically it should be a straight swap right?

Finally and this is the big one:

In the UK pre LCI can be had for around £50k. This was my original plan (with a view to buying in later 2021 or early 2022 - probably a 2020 plate if the latter). Some mentions of here of 'great' deals at £65-75k with low/practically new mileage cars. Is the £15 premium for a little new, a little more range, a little less miles worth it?

I have to say my original mid-life crisis plan was Lamborghini Gallardo. But I realised I don't earn enough money for that even for a year of ownership. The i8 feels like it may end up being a timeless design (given it's current age) and driving wise seems up my street with the economy. Plus the idea of four seats feels like a luxury (my daily driver is an MR2). I plan to probably own this car forever. Do you guys feel like with will go sub £50k? I don't know whether to actually bring my plans forward because there is the real possibility of getting a specific spec I want with little to no miles for not massively far off my £50k upper limit.

One more thing - sorry for the long post - on the subject of 4 seats. Does anybody actually ferry anyone around like that. Maybe for a few hours drive. Do they get car sick? (I remember always feeling like I needed to puke when I used to be in the back of my friends Ford KA back in the day - i realised it was the tiny windows and small seat combo - not something I want to inflict on my siblings or parents, who, for info are all under 5'11).

That's a lot of questions but I feel now or perhaps early next year (assuming the UK economy hits the fan) might be a better time to buy rather than waiting 18months.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #14
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
Sorry to bump this post but made sense rather than start a similar thread.

I have convinced myself to go for it a get an i8 coupe (although the rarity factor and potential for appreciation makes the roadster tempting).

So to that end I am now a bit more understanding of the subtle changes between the LCI and older version but have a few questions....

The 24-29miles of range - is this more reflective of the general consensus for range (as opposed to the quoted 31-35miles)?

I suspect battery condition will have some impact on this - is there any way when looking over a prospective i8 to check the health status of this? E.g if one has been left to discharge loads of times or run in harsh winters conditions then I suspect it might not be as happy = lower miles range.

I read on here about some changes to the front vent and a strut bar (maybe) that has a negative impact on the LCI performance/handling. Any further opinions on this?

I also never noticed (until reading here) the subtle difference in hood intake. I would totally want to change this to the original look. Any body just tried to swap over a whole bonnet?! Theoretically it should be a straight swap right?

Finally and this is the big one:

In the UK pre LCI can be had for around £50k. This was my original plan (with a view to buying in later 2021 or early 2022 - probably a 2020 plate if the latter). Some mentions of here of 'great' deals at £65-75k with low/practically new mileage cars. Is the £15 premium for a little new, a little more range, a little less miles worth it?

I have to say my original mid-life crisis plan was Lamborghini Gallardo. But I realised I don't earn enough money for that even for a year of ownership. The i8 feels like it may end up being a timeless design (given it's current age) and driving wise seems up my street with the economy. Plus the idea of four seats feels like a luxury (my daily driver is an MR2). I plan to probably own this car forever. Do you guys feel like with will go sub £50k? I don't know whether to actually bring my plans forward because there is the real possibility of getting a specific spec I want with little to no miles for not massively far off my £50k upper limit.

One more thing - sorry for the long post - on the subject of 4 seats. Does anybody actually ferry anyone around like that. Maybe for a few hours drive. Do they get car sick? (I remember always feeling like I needed to puke when I used to be in the back of my friends Ford KA back in the day - i realised it was the tiny windows and small seat combo - not something I want to inflict on my siblings or parents, who, for info are all under 5'11).

That's a lot of questions but I feel now or perhaps early next year (assuming the UK economy hits the fan) might be a better time to buy rather than waiting 18months.
Wow, lots of questions! Lets try to hit them one at a time:

1. Can't comment on LCI range as I have a 2017 model, I realistically get 14 to 15 miles from mine, it hasn't changed in the nearly 4 years of ownership.
2. There is no easy way to check the status of the battery, without going into BMW. But remember that BMW warrant the battery's performance for 8 years (I seem to recall that they will replace damaged cells if the performance drops below 80% of the factory original standard).
3. There is conflicting comments on the handling of LCI vs non LCI, I suspect in the real world you would notice very little difference. I am never disappointed with the handling of my non LCI!
4. The bonnet scoops - No you can't swap out the LCI bonnet for the Non LCI, they have completely changed the airflow routing. They didn't need to do this for the coupe, but as they were changing the manufacturing process for the Roadster they also changed it for the coupe to simplify production. A real shame and a compromise for the LCI coupe.
5. Who knows where values will go, but they haven't changed much for 2016 and earlier cars over the last year, so they appear to be bottoming out in the low to mid £40k's for a good low to moderate mileage car, I expect that they'll all drop into the sub £50k bracket before the very best ones start going up a bit from there.
6. The back 'seats'. Ha, yes you can get four adults in, I have, but you wouldn't want to for more than a mile or two! Three adults is more doable with the passenger seat moved forwards giving room behind, we've done hour long drives like this.

Its a great car, a very special car, you'll absolutely love it, it costs less to run than my Audi S3, but I'd make sure that you've got a warranty if you can't afford some big bills, because if things do go wrong they aren't cheap to fix!

Have fun looking
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 05:17 AM   #15
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

4. Bonnet scoops. I looked into this for mine. The parts look reasonably straight forward. From my limited physical inspection and lay persons view, the air diversion is simply blocking off the bonnet vent and having a perforated duct to allow the air to flow through rather than any other design changes. The physical vent can be changed with just screws. Would I want to do it for fear of overheating (just in case, although I can't see how it would) and void the remaining 2 years warranty? Not sure, so I haven't yet. I didn't want the constant fear of somehow having to undo the bonnet vent if the car broken down and had to be taken to the dealership.

But can it be done? Yes. Edo Popken has for his race cars, and when I ran it past him what I was planning to do, he said was fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:08 AM   #16
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

1. LCI Range is about 23-27 miles mainly motorway/70mph with a few miles of city driving. Pure city driving is more. 70mph kills range as you have to activate 1st gear only in e-drive. Lower than 65mph you get to go in second gear e-drive (but have to leave it on auto) so you will get more range, performance is massively worse, but if cruising/cruise control it doesn't matter.
2. I'm getting the HV Battery checked today. I will see what sort of status they provide.
3. I have never driven a pre-LCI, sorry. I commute so difference will be minimal.
4. As above
5. I got my LCI with 3k miles for just under £60,000. I've seen another go for £57,000 ish. But this is the absolute bottom at the moment. In a few years they'll be heading down of course, but imagine they'll always carry a few k premium over the non LCIs, it won't be a linear age-related price difference due to the improvements.
6. Wouldn't want 3 x 6 footers in, if my recent experience was anything to go by. Back seat passenger has to bend their neck!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #17
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

As far as I can tell this is how they routed the air through the bonnet. Perforated the normally solid plastic tray!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #18
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Where does the air go?

From your photo it appears that all BMW did after eliminating the opening in the front hood, was cut some holes in the plastic shroud so that the hot air exhaust from the front radiator exits into the space around the front rack and electric motor.

Did BMW add any additional ducting or exits under the car? Or does the hot air just heat up the space under the hood and find its own way out through the wheel wells?

I’m not seeing any planned direction for the air flow in that photo. The holes look like an afterthought.

Last edited by Coastali8; 11-10-2020 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #19
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Agreed. I'm no BMW tech but I'm struggling to find many other changes on real OEM. The one that is apparent is they insulated the 12v battery on the LCI/roadster, because as the cooling deteriorated it would then start to cook the components - the battery got a heatshield so it wouldn't get too hot! Reading between the lines opening up the bonnet vent would only improve matters. Again not something I want to be reversing if I have an issue and need to bring into dealership!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #20
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Well... that sounds like a big clue. If they are placing a heat shield around the 12 volt battery. BMW is expecting things to cook under the front hood from all the hot air being directed there versus out the original opening in the top of the hood.
Probably for those that want to switch to the early vented hood all they would have to do is replace the hood and the plastic shroud with the holes, to the shroud without holes.

Last edited by Coastali8; 11-10-2020 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #21
racer7
Rep
Drives: tbc

Thank you all for your replies. Especially Maxxsirrah and MolarBear

So it seems the LCI is a no-brainer for me since I imagine many of my journeys will be short enough to use electric only (saving the petrol for the fun days).

I guess it makes sense to not tinker with a 'functional' component although as has been suggested I thought about "what if I just bought a whole new bonnet to swap over when not going to BMW for a service?!". I'm assuming they wouldn't be so anal to claim aftermarket sideskirts and rear diffuser would be 'warranty invalidating' (I'd consider those parts just to beef up the look a little).

The driving differences I suppose are a moot point if you never driver the other spec and since electric range is more of a key for me I guess that deals with that.

Good to know re: rear seats though I've seen a few youtube vids where they get some adults in the back. Also my plan to keep it would have weight knowing I can get kids in the back if/when that happens.

I did have a small wobble with maybe paralysis of analysis - basically looked at the Porsche 911 and Honda NSX 2020. I've talked myself back down as ultimately my use case aligns better with the i8.

I'm a little disappointed with the lack of trim options available. Mainly the headlining - I notice it was a lighter colour on the pre-LCI and made the cabin look more airy/lighter (which would be my preference).

Did you guys hold out for your particular preference?

I think my main challenge is now knowing when to make a move on one. I noticed a few threads mentioning that in the UK the dealers have dug their heels in and aren't budging on price. I wonder if this will change once all the safety mechanisms (furlough/mortgage holidays etc) following Covid-19 come to an end.

I'll probably start a new thread once I have a test drive and validate that the car would work for me (I heard it's super-wide, turning circle not so good).

But for now I'm struggling to understand if the older car below is too high a price or the new one is too low. I'm guessing there is a Park Lane purchase premium?!

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...6-0d9bfaf4a55b

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...7-287fc9ece71b

Can't decide whether to go white (I wonder if it will age badly looks wise) or black (more understated, timeless). Maybe less choice is a good thing!

BTW I'm aware

Although somewhere still in the realms of being on topic!
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #22
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Parklane don't carry a premium - their cars are generally fairly priced or even a touch lower. Their service/sales is horrifically bad though. I got mine from there. That has the laser lights hence the price premium. Laser lights have gone as low as £62/3,000 recently.

That being said-sometimes they have price anomalies. Check out tesla info for a great i8 price history/tracking site.
Appreciate 0