Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

09-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
Xyz$123
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang Mach-E

I really, really, really want to order an iX. After many road-trips with Bluecruise, I'm having trouble with the idea of having to touch the wheel every few seconds.

True hands free must be coming soon???

Please tell me it is. I want this car!

On edit: I see that the online configurator for the I7 lists "Highway Assist" while the xDrive50 no longer lists any assist options at all. That can't be permanent. Can it? Is there an announcement coming or did I just encounter an update in progress?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Highway Assistant is the next version and it allows hands-free driving up to 80mph. It is available on the 7 Series and should be available on the iX next March.
      09-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

The question is, will it come out via an OTA update. My heart tells me no.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX60-2024

Garage List
I hear you. The hands free driving in highway slowdowns (traffic jam assist) actually makes me happy to run into patches of traffic. The iX reportedly has the tech necessary to enable highway assist like on the i7, so I’m hoping it’ll become available with a future update. There’s a thread about this with links to more info.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #5
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
That seems like horrible software design if a new model can't load a new option.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #6
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluedevil View Post
I hear you. The hands free driving in highway slowdowns (traffic jam assist) actually makes me happy to run into patches of traffic. The iX reportedly has the tech necessary to enable highway assist like on the i7, so I'm hoping it'll become available with a future update. There's a thread about this with links to more info.
Quote:
My local dealer claims to know nothing about this option for any model.

On edit: As you can tell I'm new to this forum's tools.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 10:38 PM   #7
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

The wheel is capacitive so you just have to rest your hand on it. The cheaper method where you have to manually yank on the wheel would be annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 11:13 PM   #8
svenbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz$123 View Post
I really, really, really want to order an iX. After many road-trips with Bluecruise, I'm having trouble with the idea of having to touch the wheel every few seconds.

Quote:

It's actually not that bad.. I sometimes just rest my thumb. It is capacitive touch all it needs is a slight touch. However, I hear you. Tried blue cruise in my friends car and is addictive. Hopefully IX gets it someday. I am skeptical though
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003897.00
      09-10-2022, 06:47 AM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Quote:
That seems like horrible software design if a new model can't load a new option.
True but hardware might be involved that's new.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am sure I am ignorant on this subject but it seems like if Ford/GM can do hands free, BMW should be able to do it if the current system only requires a finger on the steering wheel.

That said, I watched this video below and not sure the technology on anything is good enough to not worry about taking control.

Appreciate 1
deutsch1003897.00
      09-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #11
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am sure I am ignorant on this subject but it seems like if Ford/GM can do hands free, BMW should be able to do it if the current system only requires a finger on the steering wheel.

That said, I watched this video below and not sure the technology on anything is good enough to not worry about taking control.

My totally wild guess is that they not only have full hands free capability but level 3 or darn close. The issues holding things up are more marketing and regulatory than technical.

Frustrating for those waiting but probably a good marketing strategy to hold off until everything is dotted and crossed then come out with fanfare.

I've had Bluecruise for awhile and several >1,000 mile road-trips. I still watch it pretty close but my confidence is growing.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
My totally wild guess is that they not only have full hands free capability but level 3 or darn close. The issues holding things up are more marketing and regulatory than technical.

Frustrating for those waiting but probably a good marketing strategy to hold off until everything is dotted and crossed then come out with fanfare.

I've had Bluecruise for awhile and several >1,000 mile road-trips. I still watch it pretty close but my confidence is growing.
BMW has level 3 and will be introducing it in Europe and China starting at the end of next year. Will likely be a few years before it comes to the US.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/06/29/b...tem-late-2023/

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 09-10-2022 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Added link
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #13
ixDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3, BMW iX

I am finding the iX with Active Driver Assist Pro to be vastly better than my Tesla AP/EAP was for 4 years of ownership.

I do prefer the Germans approach of only promising what they can deliver, and actually delivering it.

Right now Tesla fandom is holding a large set of contradictory beliefs in their head that -

* it’s OK that Tesla makes contradictory statements on which features of AP/EAP are BETA or not (check sales page vs marketing page vs user manual..)
* FSD is really great almost perfect, totally worth $15k for BETA software you have to test into being allowed to use AFTER paying!
* $15k software being bound to both owner&car and not transferring on 3rd party sale or to your new Tesla is fine, just pay $15k again
* any of the long list of FSD issues are OK because its BETA
* any youtube video of FSD not working is posted by a hater
* whatever scenario FSD fails in “Tesla never said FSD supports that yet” (ie trolley cars, bollards, pedestrians under 3ft tall)
* Tesla never publishes any list of what FSD support..
* “I can drive almost X miles/minutes without disengagement with FSD”
* but also “My wife won’t let me use FSD when shes in the car”
Appreciate 3
ricerboi833.00
mcl117.00
      09-10-2022, 11:18 AM   #14
q_e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW ix XDrive 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixDriver View Post
I am finding the iX with Active Driver Assist Pro to be vastly better than my Tesla AP/EAP was for 4 years of ownership.

I do prefer the Germans approach of only promising what they can deliver, and actually delivering it.

Right now Tesla fandom is holding a large set of contradictory beliefs in their head that -

* it’s OK that Tesla makes contradictory statements on which features of AP/EAP are BETA or not (check sales page vs marketing page vs user manual..)
* FSD is really great almost perfect, totally worth $15k for BETA software you have to test into being allowed to use AFTER paying!
* $15k software being bound to both owner&car and not transferring on 3rd party sale or to your new Tesla is fine, just pay $15k again
* any of the long list of FSD issues are OK because its BETA
* any youtube video of FSD not working is posted by a hater
* whatever scenario FSD fails in “Tesla never said FSD supports that yet” (ie trolley cars, bollards, pedestrians under 3ft tall)
* Tesla never publishes any list of what FSD support..
* “I can drive almost X miles/minutes without disengagement with FSD”
* but also “My wife won’t let me use FSD when shes in the car”
Perfect assessment of all the FSD reviews
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #15
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixDriver View Post

HUGE amen to that. 🥳
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #16
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:

Yeah I saw that video and I think the main problem is in expectation. This is a level 2 system, it's not at all supposed to be capable of letting you drive hands free, or letting the car drive while you pretend to be involved by laying a finger on the wheel.

It's a neat parlor trick to be able to see and rank based how far these L2 systems can be pushed beyond the intended use. I don't take it as a sign of what to expect from upgrades actually engineered to meet L3+ though.

If anything I'd almost prefer the car be pickier about ensuring that you are in control with these L2 systems. As-is they give a false sense that you can let the car drive itself, which is not supposed to be the case. Then people complain that it doesn't reliably drive itself.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #17
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Curious that article mentions future modes like ix5, ix7 etc. I wonder how an ix5 will compare to the ix?

Also as someone that’s never had a driver assist system, what’s the point of using it if you can’t really trust it vs just driving the car yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #18
ixDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3, BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Yeah I saw that video and I think the main problem is in expectation. This is a level 2 system, it's not at all supposed to be capable of letting you drive hands free, or letting the car drive while you pretend to be involved by laying a finger on the wheel.

It's a neat parlor trick to be able to see and rank based how far these L2 systems can be pushed beyond the intended use. I don't take it as a sign of what to expect from upgrades actually engineered to meet L3+ though.

If anything I'd almost prefer the car be pickier about ensuring that you are in control with these L2 systems. As-is they give a false sense that you can let the car drive itself, which is not supposed to be the case. Then people complain that it doesn't reliably drive itself.
With my experience, depending on the mode, the iX is checking both for hands on wheel AND eyes on road.
If you are failing to pay attention, it will turn wheel yellow, and then red on HUD/dash, and flash the lights on the wheel.. as well as finally shaking wheel a little & beeping if it disengages you (hud/dash wheel color goes gray) and forces you to take control.

I find this is better at monitoring & forcing driver attention than Tesla, with a few escalation steps. Tesla AP/EAP had frequent disengagements and didn’t shake wheel, and since Model 3/Y have no dash/hud.. the screen turning colors to warn you was out of line of sight.

Further the wheel torque sensor on Tesla is far more annoying to maintain without putting too little torque or too much which then takes you out of autosteer.

The Tesla “take control” alert sound is also very frightening, and can be triggered for either driver inattention or road conditions AP/EAP can’t handle.

It would frequently get triggered at certain highway interchanges, splits, and HOV merges… even when my hands are on wheel & eyes on road (I already had control). There were certain road scenarios Tesla would make this “take control” alert and then immediately re-assert control in the span of half a second. Passengers would get concerned we were about to crash. Just bananas.
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
      09-10-2022, 04:39 PM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Curious that article mentions future modes like ix5, ix7 etc. I wonder how an ix5 will compare to the ix?

Also as someone that’s never had a driver assist system, what’s the point of using it if you can’t really trust it vs just driving the car yourself?
The ix5 and ix7 will be based on the X5 and X7. In other words it will be exactly the same platform as the X5 and X7 except out will have electric motors, like the i4 and i7 do. In my opinion, the iX is just a place holder/transition vehicle until the technology matures and it used in other models but that could be wrong.

The driver assist systems make a world of difference. The driving is much more relaxed and stress free. Between the X5 and M340i I have used it over 50k miles on all different road types (urban, rural, highway, etc.) and it does an excellent job.

I think a lot has to do with people's expectations. Some don't realize it is a direct assistance system and not an autonomous driving system.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 09-10-2022 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #20
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Highway Assist on xDrive50

I see that the online configurator for the I7 lists "Highway Assist" while the iX xDrive50 no longer lists any assist options at all. That can't be permanent. Can it? Is there an announcement coming or did I just encounter an update in progress?

(New to the BMW world and still getting used to the terminology.)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #21
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
I see that the online configurator for the I7 lists "Highway Assist" while the iX xDrive50 no longer lists any assist options at all. That can't be permanent. Can it? Is there an announcement coming or did I just encounter an update in progress?

(New to the BMW world and still getting used to the terminology.)
Configurator is randomly squirrely, but mixed opinions on whatever parts shortages are impacting builds right now. Maybe yes, maybe no. M60 seems not to be affected, at least the Configurator right now. Stand by for more news....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 06:21 AM   #22
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenbmw View Post
It's actually not that bad.. I sometimes just rest my thumb. It is capacitive touch all it needs is a slight touch. However, I hear you. Tried blue cruise in my friends car and is addictive. Hopefully IX gets it someday. I am skeptical though
Given that my life, those of my passengers, and those of the people around me are hanging in the balance, I am more than happy to rest my hands on the wheel. Moreover, I enjoy driving; the driverless car future is unappealing to me.
Appreciate 1
mcl117.00