09-26-2022, 06:26 AM   #23
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I think a lot has to do with people's expectations. Some don't realize it is a direct assistance system and not an autonomous driving system.
This sums it up perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #24
Xyz$123
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang Mach-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
Quote:
I think a lot has to do with people's expectations. Some don't realize it is a direct assistance system and not an autonomous driving system.
This sums it up perfectly.
I do realize that. The same is true of Bluecruise which I've used for quite awhile.

Bluecruise is slightly closer to autonomous. That's left me a bit spoiled. If I was coming from adaptive cruise Drive Assist would seem like a huge step forward. Coming from Bluecruise it's a small step back.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 10:38 AM   #25
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz$123 View Post
I do realize that. The same is true of Bluecruise which I've used for quite awhile.

Bluecruise is slightly closer to autonomous. That's left me a bit spoiled. If I was coming from adaptive cruise Drive Assist would seem like a huge step forward. Coming from Bluecruise it's a small step back.
I have the hands free traffic jam assistant on my X5 and it works decently (it has issues but they are off topic). It is fun to take your hands off the wheel at first but I find that paying attention to the road without at least resting one hand on the wheel ends up becoming uncomfortable. It is fine when I have something to do with them, like playing air drums to music, getting myself a sip of my drink, etc. but on longer stretches I end up placing a hand back on the wheel anyway, which is also useful for avoiding bad pavement which we have plenty of here. Basically, other than short breaks which you can do in the non hands free versions of this anyway, I don't find that being hands free is really that much more enjoyable. Where I can see people getting "spoiled" by it is if they are using their phones over long distances or something else that they shouldn't actually be doing.

I mean maybe I am in the minority about not feeling comfortable paying attention with my hands on my lap instead of on the wheel. are you more comfortable like that or what?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #26
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Quote:

I have the hands free traffic jam assistant on my X5 and it works decently (it has issues but they are off topic). It is fun to take your hands off the wheel at first but I find that paying attention to the road without at least resting one hand on the wheel ends up becoming uncomfortable. It is fine when I have something to do with them, like playing air drums to music, getting myself a sip of my drink, etc. but on longer stretches I end up placing a hand back on the wheel anyway, which is also useful for avoiding bad pavement which we have plenty of here. Basically, other than short breaks which you can do in the non hands free versions of this anyway, I don't find that being hands free is really that much more enjoyable. Where I can see people getting "spoiled" by it is if they are using their phones over long distances or something else that they shouldn't actually be doing.

I mean maybe I am in the minority about not feeling comfortable paying attention with my hands on my lap instead of on the wheel. are you more comfortable like that or what?
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Depends on traffic, road conditions, etc. Never pick up my phone. Do sip a lot of coffee on long, boring interstates.

Different strokes…..
Appreciate 3
ricerboi809.00
ggalanis2354.00
Paladin15457.50
      09-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #27
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Never pick up my phone.
Good. The amount of people that drive distracted (with or without a lvl 2/3 system) is truly infuriating. But a lot of people use these systems to compensate for their distracted driving behaviors and that is not how they are intended to be used.

Quote:
Different strokes…..
yup.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 12:35 PM   #28
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Never pick up my phone.
Good. The amount of people that drive distracted (with or without a lvl 2/3 system) is truly infuriating. But a lot of people use these systems to compensate for their distracted driving behaviors and that is not how they are intended to be used.

Quote:
Different strokes…..
yup.
I'd actually argue that semi-autonomous driving contributes to safety rather than distracts from it. I find that I'm free to pay more attention to my surroundings. I notice that guy two lanes away that seems a little erratic much earlier than I otherwise might have.
Appreciate 2
ixDriver203.50
Paladin15457.50
      09-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #29
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
I'd actually argue that semi-autonomous driving contributes to safety rather than distracts from it. I find that I'm free to pay more attention to my surroundings. I notice that guy two lanes away that seems a little erratic much earlier than I otherwise might have.
This. Visibility of the "threat zone" around my car is greatly expanded with L2 since I don't need to focus so intently on direction of travel (although that focus generically is a given) - that pedestrian on the periphery headed for the intersection, the erratic driver in the oncoming lane two or three cars up, the overloaded truck two lanes over and three cars forward switching lanes. I can pay attention to things that will become a threat in 10 or 15 seconds, allowing time to plan rather than react. A great driving adjunct.
Appreciate 1
Xyz$12341.00
      09-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #30
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When used as intended, I agree that it makes driving safer overall.

The issue is that the guy who uses his phone while driving will do it even more if he has a semi autonomous feature that lets him get away with it. It makes their distracted driving feel less dangerous (and all else being equal, it very likely is for a single distracted driving event), so they end up doing it much more often as a result. I'd argue that the total effect of this is less safety overall, based on my personal experience with implementations from a couple of car companies.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #31
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When used as intended, I agree that it makes driving safer overall.

The issue is that the guy who uses his phone while driving will do it even more if he has a semi autonomous feature that lets him get away with it. It makes their distracted driving feel less dangerous (and all else being equal, it very likely is for a single distracted driving event), so they end up doing it much more often as a result. I'd argue that the total effect of this is less safety overall, based on my personal experience with implementations from a couple of car companies.
I don't think the idiot yakking on his phone is even thinking about safety. He/she's going to risk lives no matter what the level of technology. Perhaps semi-autonomous driving will reduce the threat a little. They'd at least have to try a little harder to rear end the next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #32
Xyz$123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Highway Assistant is the next version and it allows hands-free driving up to 80mph. It is available on the 7 Series and should be available on the iX next March.
Meaning available to order next March or beginning delivery?
Appreciate 0