Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

09-14-2022, 05:02 PM   #1
MrMoose0987
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX M60

iX Ride Smoothness became awful after 2 weeks, looking for help.

So, I bought an iX M60 about a month ago. The first couple of weeks were great, I had a lot of fun driving and the longer drive I went on was nice and smooth, small bumps were non existent and big bumps were still really tame. But I took it in on the 22nd for a ceramic coating and it has felt like, since then, the ride quality has taken a massive nosedive.

I've been working with my local dealership and cross tested against an xDrive 50. The ride quality was also uncharacteristically bad in the 50. This is nowhere near the quality from when I received my M60 at the start of August and now. This all started a couple of weeks ago. So far, I have:
  • Tried all 5 drive modes, and the ride quality seems to stay the same (rough)
  • Tried setting dampers to comfort in sport mode since you can toggle them there, and it didn't seem to affect the ride quality
  • Tried going into Diagnostic Mode and doing a system reset with the Volume button held down for a minute
  • Changing the ride height/toggling it on and off by holding it for 7 seconds
  • Tried deleting my profile from the car and using the guest profile, no change
  • Tried using the second key that I got with the car but had never used until I tested it here -- that fixed the issue for one drive. The second time I tried, it did not fix the issue

I dropped it off Saturday at the dealership and they've been looking at it. Said there are no codes for suspension issues and it seems fine. I pushed back after they said they didn't know what else to do. They've now tried resetting the profiles themselves and set the dampers and steering in sport mode to be comfort and asked me to come pick it up. I told them that I already tried that and it didn't change the quality, and asked if they tested it themselves to see if it had changed from when they first tested it. They hadn't yet.

Their service director is checking with a couple of others on something and will be contacting me tomorrow mid morning. I'm stuck though and have no clue what else to do here. I can't sell the car back to a dealership because I'd eat a 10-15% loss AND the car isn't working properly right now. So at this point, until the car throws an actual error code, I'm basically stuck driving a car with the ride quality of a Tesla Model Y at a much higher price :/

Really hoping for some advice or other suggestions on what to do here. I loved this car for a couple of weeks but this is definitely not the car that I bought The car that I bought was AMAZING and something I was happy to pay this price for. This current car is, well, not. And this all has me questioning whether my perception of the ride quality somehow took a massive shift or some such, but I can't imagine it has, since it felt drastically different that one drive with the unused key.

Last edited by MrMoose0987; 09-14-2022 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Does the sun shade work? Just wondering on the outside chance that it got set into transport mode somehow, like others experienced.
Appreciate 2
Road Trip1370.50
      09-14-2022, 06:01 PM   #3
MrMoose0987
Enlisted Member
Rep

Last I checked I remember it working. And the service department reported no errors when they looked for them too. I'll check the sunshade when I go to do the pickup.

Wouldn't I have a message about it being in transport mode if it was though?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #4
thenewguy
thenewguy
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

MrMoose0987 , sor brings up a good point - there wouldn't be any errors if it slipped back into transport. No error if it's working as transport mode intends. It certainly wouldn't be the first iX to do this. I do not yet have mine and hopefully, won't go through this, but it's been a problem that no one seems to know is happening until they start putting the pieces together after reading it on here.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003943.50
      09-14-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
MrMoose0987
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
MrMoose0987 , sor brings up a good point - there wouldn't be any errors if it slipped back into transport. No error if it's working as transport mode intends. It certainly wouldn't be the first iX to do this. I do not yet have mine and hopefully, won't go through this, but it's been a problem that no one seems to know is happening until they start putting the pieces together after reading it on here.
I’ll ask the dealer about that in the morning. Does the car not to anything to let you know it is in transport mode? No interface message or anything? I’m expecting there’d be some notification but I could be wrong.

I’m wondering if the diagnostic mode resets I’ve had to do kicked it back into transport mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:39 PM   #6
thenewguy
thenewguy
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

MrMoose0987

About half-way down on this thread, first page; they start describing "transport mode" slips.

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...ight=transport
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
MrMoose0987
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for sharing, I brought it up with the service department.

They've also escalated this on their end with BMW North America and are sending them some special kind of back end scan that has info they can't access, and they're digging to see if any of the updates have potentially caused this. They want me to drive it around for a week and let them know how things go. I have a couple of routes planned to test it. They said if it isn't fixed, bring it back and they'll look at it again.

Last edited by MrMoose0987; 09-15-2022 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 09:34 PM   #8
MrMoose0987
Enlisted Member
Rep

So, I got the car back today. First drive home -- it drives like expected again! So I get home, park, add my BMW ID to the car, then go out again a few hours later...and the ride quality is bad again. So I did a settings reset, then went into diagnostic mode, did a reset. Nope, still having the issue, with both keys again.

That said, there was something interesting I noted -- most of my driving assistance functions are listed as function not available when I try to toggle them on. They're greyed out. This makes me think it may actually be that transport mode issue. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and share that thread with them.

Also, it seems the dealer can do SOMETHING that fixes it, and I can do SOMETHING that breaks it. So that's at least progress of some kind. Means I can maybe get a service tech to go with me for a ride to see the difference in the two setups.

Hopefully this gets us towards a solution...
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2022, 09:40 PM   #9
MrMoose0987
Enlisted Member
Rep

These four images are the settings that say "Function Not Available". That does explain why I've never been able to do automatic lane changes too...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 09:46 PM   #10
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
@evanevery any of this sound familiar?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 11:23 PM   #11
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

ALL of the driver assistance functions not available...THIS is exactly what happened to my car on pick up/delivery day. That, in addition to could not use or change front or rear HVAC, could not save radio presets and all the ambient lighting was stuck on red (indicating malfuntion(s).

My dealer did PDI and had the car ready, but it sat in the showroom for I believe almost 2 weeks. Several modules slipped back into transport mode. This is very strange. I remember my 2014 Phantom did this on, again pick up day! I drove off and could not figure out why it was so hot in the car! The HVAC slipped back into transport mode :-O

Really hoping you get this figured out!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 12:29 AM   #12
kid2010
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 2022

Mine also felt really different around ride comfort since 2~3 weeks ago. I wonder if BMW pushed some over the air changes that altered the drivetrain configuration.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 12:27 PM   #13
MrMoose0987
Enlisted Member
Rep

My ride quality is still bad but at least driver assist stuff came by. Service Director here is out until Monday so he and I will talk more then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid2010 View Post
Mine also felt really different around ride comfort since 2~3 weeks ago. I wonder if BMW pushed some over the air changes that altered the drivetrain configuration.
Yeah, they escalated mine to BMWNA and to HQ in Germany and they're looking into this. I think it MAY have something to do with profiles, not sure.

I'll continue to update people here as I learn more.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 05:55 PM   #14
jcolinzheng
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

@MrMoose0987, what I find most surprising is that you mentioned somewhere that your dealer's demo car has the same issue. I wonder if it's related to how this particular dealership sets up a new car. Given that we haven't heard other people seeing the same issue, the chance that you and your dealer's cars both hit the issue seems miniscule, unless there's a correlation.

Thank you for sharing your updates here. I empathize with you and really hope a solution/explanation will be found soon; please don't give up on this otherwise wonderful car!
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2022, 08:21 PM   #15
MrMoose0987
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolinzheng View Post
@MrMoose0987, what I find most surprising is that you mentioned somewhere that your dealer's demo car has the same issue. I wonder if it's related to how this particular dealership sets up a new car. Given that we haven't heard other people seeing the same issue, the chance that you and your dealer's cars both hit the issue seems miniscule, unless there's a correlation.

Thank you for sharing your updates here. I empathize with you and really hope a solution/explanation will be found soon; please don't give up on this otherwise wonderful car!
I'm doing my best to not give up on it because I do legitimately love everything else about it. And yeah, with the dealership escalating this, I expect that we will figure out if there's something with how they're doing setup and delivery. Though I expect if people spend time driving in non-Personal mode (and use efficient or sport) they may not run into the same issue that I am. And admittedly, maybe I'm being TOO picky and maybe other people are ignoring it or arent dealing with the garbage roads I deal with here in Madison WI. But what it really feels like is that I'm stuck in a mode that is a slight bit softer than sport, but nowhere near as soft and cloud-like as it is when I first drive it.

But yeah, we will see how things go when I talk to the dealership again Monday. It really feels like SOMETHING with my profile is messing this up. Hopefully we can get some answers on this in the coming weeks.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003943.50
      09-29-2022, 12:07 AM   #16
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoose0987 View Post
I'm doing my best to not give up on it because I do legitimately love everything else about it. And yeah, with the dealership escalating this, I expect that we will figure out if there's something with how they're doing setup and delivery. Though I expect if people spend time driving in non-Personal mode (and use efficient or sport) they may not run into the same issue that I am. And admittedly, maybe I'm being TOO picky and maybe other people are ignoring it or arent dealing with the garbage roads I deal with here in Madison WI. But what it really feels like is that I'm stuck in a mode that is a slight bit softer than sport, but nowhere near as soft and cloud-like as it is when I first drive it.

But yeah, we will see how things go when I talk to the dealership again Monday. It really feels like SOMETHING with my profile is messing this up. Hopefully we can get some answers on this in the coming weeks.
Any more details? I'm worried now about taking it in for the recalls and a tire change to winters. Did you do the Idrive 8 recall?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:43 PM   #17
MagicianBE
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i

Any other findings on this one folks?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 07:34 PM   #18
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
I wonder if OP just had a bad air suspension unit? My 2023 iX50 with air suspension has been wonderful over the past 6 months I've owned it. I've been testing out some 2024 iX's, and the non-air suspension on the 2024 iX50's is noticeably stiffer since I'm so spoiled now. But it's way way better than the Ford Mach-E or Tesla Model Y. So if you didn't know it was missing you'd be fine. The iXM60's are tuned tighter than the iX50's for sure, so it's not my preference, but even in sport mode they are darn comfortable.

Last edited by darylp310; 09-22-2023 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 2
Road Trip1370.50
deutsch1003943.50
      09-22-2023, 08:08 PM   #19
Road Trip
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06

MrMoose, so sorry you are experiencing this. That the dealership finally got it fixed, even though it was temporary, says they had to at one point narrow it down and then change that defective module(s), e.g., software and/or hardware. This will help them re-focus on that part of the issue this time. Glad that they have gotten BMW Germany involved. Hope your solution is really soon and permanently fixed. Please keep us advised as to what they eventually found.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 08:54 PM   #20
Barry123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50

The original post is a year old.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 09:00 PM   #21
330 CSi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: iX M60 Then:X5 35d & 330c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoose0987 View Post
[*]Tried using the second key that I got with the car but had never used until I tested it here -- that fixed the issue for one drive. The second time I tried, it did not fix the issue[/LIST]
To me this is the key to the diagnostics. That and the return drive that makes it go out. It clearly is some kind of programing issue and if it did it after a dealer reinstall of the software, it could be a firmware issue, perhaps.

Also can I ask, was this a 23 or 24 and were you using 8.0 or 8.5?

I am no engineer or programmer by that is what seems like the most logical thing from these events.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:26 AM   #22
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

The solution was posted on another forum (i x f o r u m s):

https://www.********.com/threads/dra...e-quality.995/
Appreciate 0