BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

09-29-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
jsclarke99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX XDrive50, e-Tron (prev)

charging infrastructure, D+

This is a great article that mirrors what I've observed in 3 years of non-Tesla EV ownership-- basically- that the non-Tesla charging infrastructure needs to get better FASTER than sales of electric vehicles.

19% down for Electrify America... no bueno

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...-boiling-point
2017 MB E300, 2014 BMW 640i convertible
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003943.50
      09-29-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
Xyz$123
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang Mach-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsclarke99 View Post
This is a great article that mirrors what I've observed in 3 years of non-Tesla EV ownership-- basically- that the non-Tesla charging infrastructure needs to get better FASTER than sales of electric vehicles.

19% down for Electrify America... no bueno

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...-boiling-point
In 13 months and 14,000 miles of EV ownership. I've never needed a charger and not had one available. Never waited in line. Encountered a few broken but always another working. That's mostly local driving around Central PA with several 1,000+mi road-trips as far as MI, GA and TN.

Perhaps CA is a different story or perhaps I'm really lucky.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Kyle at Out of Spec has some observations:

Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 01:38 PM   #4
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz$123 View Post
In 13 months and 14,000 miles of EV ownership. I've never needed a charger and not had one available. Never waited in line. Encountered a few broken but always another working. That's mostly local driving around Central PA with several 1,000+mi road-trips as far as MI, GA and TN.

That's shocking, just traveling down I-81 in VA, I'm lucky if 2 of the 4 EA chargers work at any location, and the one in Fincastle has been down for months. EA is a joke compared to the Supercharger network when I had my previous Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I think a lot of the EA issues are out east from what I hear on forums. Been all over the west and pretty rock solid. Really has me puzzled when people tout the Tesla network as better. We have more frequent station options out west than Tesla and they're nearly all 350kw capable.

Occasionally you will find one stall inoperable but there's always something working. From what I understand from Tesla friends the superchargers are like that too (occasionally have to move spots but never find a whole station down).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #6
Xyz$123
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang Mach-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz$123 View Post

That's shocking, just traveling down I-81 in VA, I'm lucky if 2 of the 4 EA chargers work at any location, and the one in Fincastle has been down for months. EA is a joke compared to the Supercharger network when I had my previous Tesla.
Going down I81 I usually stop at the EVGO in Hagerstown or the EA in Stephens City then overnight and (free) full charge at the Best Western in Troutville. (The diner next door makes a great burger.) I've encountered broken chargers at Stephens City but another was always available.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
ricerboi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i, G30 M550i, iX 50i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX 50i  [7.50]
I generally agree, but honestly it's YMMV for pretty much everybody as people have different schedules/habits and in different EV density/service areas. 2 people living in the same area could have their local charger always busy/broken, but 1 person has a really reliable charger at/near work and the other doesn't. I'm lucky to have 2 4-8 bay 150kW EA stations 5 minutes from my place (and 1 right next to the driving range) so I'm totally ok with it. With the 250-340 mile range, there's little range anxiety on long trips unless you're intentionally pushing it.

I think the freeway (between large cities) network is pretty solid at 50-100 miles between charging stations. The URBAN network, however, HAS to get better. For example I'm looking at downtown Los Angeles on the EA map and there's not a single charger in (proper) downtown LA, which is unacceptable and only further supports the anti-EV argument of insufficient charging infrastructure.

I've had 6 years of EV ownership (i3, i3s) with the EVgo and Chargepoint networks and they've been fine at 50kW. We definitely need more 150kW-350kW chargers now that more mass-market EVs can charge up to 150kW-200kW. EA is definitely getting a leg up on the competition (at a short-term net loss) by offering 2-3 years free charging to most premium EVs, especially their non-VAG competitors like BMW/Benz. I'm confident that the network will only get better.

Sure the Tesla infrastructure is superior at this point, as it should be since Tesla is very energy-focused in addition to its EV business, but I believe third party vendors like EA/EVgo/Chargepoint will evolve into (organically or through strategic M&A) the Shell/Mobil/BP/76's of years past with profit centers being F&B and convenience store models. It's still to be seen who will get ahead of the game to this point.

I admit it's very frustrating to pull up to a charger, expect to not wait and just plug in, and end up either having to wait or deal with malfunctioning chargers. Unfortunately that's what we have to deal with as somewhat "early" EV adopters, but hey look on the bright side (or at the Costco Gasoline lines), we don't have to pay for gas (on our EVs at least)! 6 weeks and 4500 miles into my iX, I've saved over $1700 on gas!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 03:55 PM   #8
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
All our semi local EA chargers are total POS. If or when they work, they charge at 50% or less than they should. If one needs to rely solely on EA, buy an ICE!! My 2021 Tesla Model Y was a real piece of work, but the Tesla charging network was flawless!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #9
jsclarke99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX XDrive50, e-Tron (prev)

Kyle just documented a road trip in a Lucid Air

This was a pretty good segment by Kyle at Out of Spec Reviews on taking a Lucid Air on a road trip (below). In case you're not interested in watching the whole thing... a couple of takeaways for me...

1. non-Tesla charging infrastructure is still poor!
Kyle got to a 350 kW charging station with 3% remaining and almost got stuck there needing a tow. Why? EA was doing free charging- and the Lucid Plug & Charge kept error-ing out.

He KNEW phone numbers of Lucid and EA engineers- called them directly- and after an hour of very specialized "support" most people would never get- he was charging. I'd have been in an Uber following a tow truck.

2. the Air is supposed to charge at 300kW. He got over 200kW only once- but for the most part- he was 150 or 170 or less - even in the 40's for one long charge. Come on!

3. not to mention (and this has happened to me)- calling a hotel- "do you have level II EV charging?". We sure do! Get there- 6 kilowatts! WHAT? I'm not staying 2 nights to charge?

I still think the non-Tesla charging infrastructure in the US needs a ton of attention. EVs and the charging network are do-dependant, but the cars have gotten really good while charging is still really frail.

2017 MB E300, 2014 BMW 640i convertible

Last edited by jsclarke99; 10-25-2022 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #10
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Lucid not being able to charge with free/open DC charging is kind of a facepalm! That one isn't really on the charging infra as I've had plenty of free sessions with EA on other cars.

I'd say 5-7kw from public chargers is kind of the norm. I don't think I got more than 7-8 even when I used a Tesla destination charger. Companies offering these things don't really seem to care to optimize them for a full 11kw that most cars can do. They probably just want a cheap and simple install. Some even charge by time so stretching it out is advantageous.
Appreciate 0