BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #309
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Doink.
https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...-chinas-huawei

Donkey Kong.
      01-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #310
Grumpy Old Man
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

U.S. unveils criminal charges against China’s Huawei

So I guess the US isn't going to w/d the extradition request.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...-security.html

OTTAWA—The U.S. government announced nearly two dozen criminal charges against Huawei Technologies Monday in a high-profile news conference slamming the Chinese hi-tech giant, and ratcheting up pressure on Canada which is bearing Beijing’s wrath for arresting Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.

As Ottawa fights to free two detained Canadians and avoid the death sentence for a third man in China, top Trump cabinet members and American justice officials revealed the formal charges.

They include 13 charges filed by a New York grand jury indictment against Huawei for allegedly misleading multinational banks about Huawei’s relationship to a company doing business in Iran, in violation of U.S. sanctions. The charges include allegations of attempting to obstruct justice by concealing evidence and moving potential witnesses back to China.

“We are deeply grateful to the government of Canada for its assistance and its steadfast commitment to the rule of law,” said acting U.S. attorney general Matthew Whitaker.

Whitaker also announced another series of 10 charges levied by a Seattle grand jury against Huawei for stealing U.S. technology from an American wireless company T-Mobile.

But Whitaker and the U.S. home security secretary especially took aim at Huawei’s alleged attempt to do an end-run around Iran sanctions, saying it jeopardized American national security laws. But Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross tried to distinguish it as a “law enforcement action” distinct from the coming trade talks.

The announcement comes two days before American justice officials were due to send formal documents and evidence to support the extradition of Meng. It also comes before senior Beijing officials were due in Washington in an attempt to reach a trade deal before the U.S. slaps even higher tariffs on Chinese imports at the beginning of March.
Appreciate 1
Law4173.00

01-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #311
glennQNYC
Pro V1 Sniper
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Getting closer to the U.S. is a non-starter as the Trump administration sees Trudeau as an enemy more than it sees Canada as a friend.
May I humbly suggest in the future you (and others) consider adding a simple qualifier like "I believe" or "it appears as though" to statements like the one quoted above? I doubt POTUS is sharing his inner thoughts about Canada and Trudeau with you.
      01-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #312
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
So I guess the US isn't going to w/d the extradition request.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...-security.html

OTTAWA—The U.S. government announced nearly two dozen criminal charges against Huawei Technologies Monday in a high-profile news conference slamming the Chinese hi-tech giant, and ratcheting up pressure on Canada which is bearing Beijing’s wrath for arresting Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.

As Ottawa fights to free two detained Canadians and avoid the death sentence for a third man in China, top Trump cabinet members and American justice officials revealed the formal charges.

They include 13 charges filed by a New York grand jury indictment against Huawei for allegedly misleading multinational banks about Huawei’s relationship to a company doing business in Iran, in violation of U.S. sanctions. The charges include allegations of attempting to obstruct justice by concealing evidence and moving potential witnesses back to China.

“We are deeply grateful to the government of Canada for its assistance and its steadfast commitment to the rule of law,” said acting U.S. attorney general Matthew Whitaker.

Whitaker also announced another series of 10 charges levied by a Seattle grand jury against Huawei for stealing U.S. technology from an American wireless company T-Mobile.

But Whitaker and the U.S. home security secretary especially took aim at Huawei’s alleged attempt to do an end-run around Iran sanctions, saying it jeopardized American national security laws. But Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross tried to distinguish it as a “law enforcement action” distinct from the coming trade talks.

The announcement comes two days before American justice officials were due to send formal documents and evidence to support the extradition of Meng. It also comes before senior Beijing officials were due in Washington in an attempt to reach a trade deal before the U.S. slaps even higher tariffs on Chinese imports at the beginning of March.

Nothing like leaving it to the 11th hour. Today is the big day.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #313
Grumpy Old Man
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Nothing like leaving it to the 11th hour. Today is the big day.
Prosecutors always take all the time they can, there is never a good reason to rush and risk missing something. If you were against a deadline and were paying a lawyer you'd want him to take his/her time and get it right.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #314
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Prosecutors always take all the time they can, there is never a good reason to rush and risk missing something. If you were against a deadline and were paying a lawyer you'd want him to take his/her time and get it right.
They have had plenty of time. The crimes took place between 2010 and 2014.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #315
Grumpy Old Man
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They have had plenty of time. The crimes took place between 2010 and 2014.
Yes but they had a fixed amount of time to prepare for the extradition hearing, they wouldn't have done that in advance of her arrest would they.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #316
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback

do tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
May I humbly suggest in the future you (and others) consider adding a simple qualifier like "I believe" or "it appears as though" to statements like the one quoted above? I doubt POTUS is sharing his inner thoughts about Canada and Trudeau with you.
So there's a planet on which your POS's inner thoughts are relevant?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #317
Sassicaia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Canada will fail big time if they done extradite. With Trudeau in charge any manner of pussified decision will be made. She is filth and needs to be behind bars.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #318
Grumpy Old Man
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Again with the name calling. Does that work for you in face to face interactions?

Just a thought, but if you just argue points you might find the discussion can be productive, if you call names then you lose credibility and only invite the same in return.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #319
Grumpy Old Man
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Canada will fail big time if they done extradite. With Trudeau in charge any manner of pussified decision will be made. She is filth and needs to be behind bars.
I don't disagree with much of what you said. I don't know enough to say she should be behind bars or if she's a piece of filth, but she needs to be removed from Canada and face a court of competent jurisdiction.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #320
glennQNYC
Pro V1 Sniper
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Hope that made you feel better.

The best part of this is that your original post references POTUS' inner thoughts. Now you flipped to arguing that they're not relevant.
      01-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #321
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback

Trump calls names all of the time...

Quote:
Again with the name calling. Does that work for you in face to face interactions?

Just a thought, but if you just argue points you might find the discussion can be productive, if you call names then you lose credibility and only invite the same in return.
So do you - reference Trudeau. But I'm too lazy to follow you around Grumpy. We have long passed the point where some kind of civil debate could inform our politics. Luckily Canada is just as "naturally" center left as the U.S. is center right and despite holding a visa for fourteen years I had the opportunity to stay in Canada. Trump is doing some damage here, and he will damage Trudeau as much as he can. That is just a fact of his behaviour. As is the fact that he is a piece of shit.
Appreciate 1
MrRoboto1690.50

01-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #322
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The Canadian Govt. has until March 1st to decide weather the extradition process continues. She is back in court on the 6th of March.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #323
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
The Canadian Govt. has until March 1st to decide weather the extradition process continues. She is back in court on the 6th of March.
Is it just me, or does it seem like this is dragging on forever. It would have been better for everyone if the Canadian authorities had grabbed her and immediately gave her to the US authorities and said "here ya go, your problem now".
      01-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #324
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like this is dragging on forever. It would have been better for everyone if the Canadian authorities had grabbed her and immediately gave her to the US authorities and said "here ya go, your problem now".
In a perfect world yes. Maybe if the US would have had the indictments ready the moment she was arrested we could have handed here over immediately and avoided this mess.

She was on her way to Mexico, maybe the US should have asked the Mexican authorities to grab her.

Last edited by MrRoboto; 01-29-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #325
Grumpy Old Man
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So do you - reference Trudeau. But I'm too lazy to follow you around Grumpy. We have long passed the point where some kind of civil debate could inform our politics. Luckily Canada is just as "naturally" center left as the U.S. is center right and despite holding a visa for fourteen years I had the opportunity to stay in Canada. Trump is doing some damage here, and he will damage Trudeau as much as he can. That is just a fact of his behaviour. As is the fact that he is a piece of shit.
I don't think it's "we" that can't have a civil debate about politics. I'm happy to debate with you.

I'll agree that Trump is doing some damage to the US, can you agree that Trudeau has and continues to damage Canada.

I don't care for Trump or Trudeau, I've been pretty clear across the board on that. Are they pieces of shit. I can't really say as I don't know them and frankly I don't care about what they are like. I just want them to do the job they were elected to do and to do it well. I don't think we can really know how effective they are being as the media is so completely and rabidly against Trump and how badly the media fawn over Trudeau.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent7560.00

01-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #326
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Off topic:
Today is dragging on forever. How can it be only 2:12 pm CST! And talking to people in my business who don't know anything about the business makes it seem like a much longer day. I think I would rather be in RCMP custody.
      01-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #327
Grumpy Old Man
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Off topic:
Today is dragging on forever. How can it be only 2:12 pm CST! And talking to people in my business who don't know anything about the business makes it seem like a much longer day. I think I would rather be in RCMP custody.
The prisoner meals can be dodgy though.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #328
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Off topic:
The prisoner meals can be dodgy though.
I do eat well here. I was treated to Jersey Mike's Philly steak sandwiches today. Tasty.
      01-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #329
Grumpy Old Man
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I do eat well here. I was treated to Jersey Mike's Philly steak sandwiches today. Tasty.
We used to feed the clients happy meals and then that got too expensive so we had these cheese slices on a bun wrapped in cellophane. They got refreshed every few weeks and were pretty hard and dry. If the booker liked you he'd microwave it for 20 seconds, if you pissed him off it got about 5 minutes in the microwave.....wrapper on.

That and a juice box without the straw.....

Good times.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #330
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Off topic:
I'll raise you. I'm trying to file the 10-K and still have an enormous amount of OBS items outstanding from the ASC 805 requirements, none of which my M&A guys have finished yet.

The problem is that this causes a backlog so that every hour I wait is another hour added onto my work weeks next month.

Day is dragging today, but Feb is going to be lots of 100hr weeks. Grr.

Quote:
We used to feed the clients happy meals and then that got too expensive so we had these cheese slices on a bun wrapped in cellophane. They got refreshed every few weeks and were pretty hard and dry. If the booker liked you he'd microwave it for 20 seconds, if you pissed him off it got about 5 minutes in the microwave.....wrapper on.

That and a juice box without the straw.....
You need better clients, lol. My last client when I was still in public practice was super fun. My expense budget for meals and entertainment was $550,000 per year.