Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

04-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Recovering lost files from SD Card

After my last track day, I tried doing some editing using GoPro Studio and inadvertently deleted the files from the SD card in the process.

I'm using a Mac and will like an easy (and free) way to recover the files. Anyone know of a way to get this done?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:01 AM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Nothing free or easy on OSX that will recover gopro files. Pictures, yes, most other files, yes, but not gopro. There is probably paid software that will do it.

I can give you technical advice if you want to try to some stuff like image your card (faster and more portable recovery + you have a copy as it was) and try to modify a free but technical program to recover the files. If you've never opened terminal before you'll be happier paying for some software that can recover whatever formats your camera produced.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes
Nothing free or easy on OSX that will recover gopro files. Pictures, yes, most other files, yes, but not gopro. There is probably paid software that will do it.

I can give you technical advice if you want to try to some stuff like image your card (faster and more portable recovery + you have a copy as it was) and try to modify a free but technical program to recover the files. If you've never opened terminal before you'll be happier paying for some software that can recover whatever formats your camera produced.
Sure, I can take a stab at it. Tried Phoenix recovery software but no luck. It recovers the files, but for some odd reason the details are greyed out and I can't open them in QuickTime following the recovery process. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Sure, I can take a stab at it. Tried Phoenix recovery software but no luck. It recovers the files, but for some odd reason the details are greyed out and I can't open them in QuickTime following the recovery process. Thanks!
They want you to pay for it. Thats a pretty typical way for recovery software to sell you. They say "hey look we found your stuff, but you can't have it until we have money"
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert
They want you to pay for it. Thats a pretty typical way for recovery software to sell you. They say "hey look we found your stuff, but you can't have it until we have money"
Yup. I found a key code to register the software but still no luck even with a full version.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
After my last track day, I tried doing some editing using GoPro Studio and inadvertently deleted the files from the SD card in the process.

I'm using a Mac and will like an easy (and free) way to recover the files. Anyone know of a way to get this done?

Thanks in advance!
Linux is great for this sort of thing so Mac shouldn't be too hard. If not, it's easy to load up vmware player with an ISO of a Linux distro.

Anyway, I would start with Scalpel. Google it. If that doesn't work there's entire Linux forensic ISOs that would possibly get the job done - all free.