02-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Extended Warranty Windscreen replacement

Hi all,

Jumped in my i8 today to discover a large crack has appeared from the top of the windscreen which then curves behind the rear-view mirror.

I last drove her a week ago, no crack present (it's in an obvious position) and she's been in the garage ever since so protected from frost etc.

No signs of an impact so I personally would put this down to a defect however I'm sure BMW and the warranty company would disagree.

I know a few have said that they've had replacements covered by warranty (likely US owners) but others (likely UK owners) have had no joy from BMW.

Interested to hear from anyone (from the UK in particular) who has had experience of getting a new windscreen under warranty before my insurance gets involved!
      02-18-2019, 03:37 AM   #2
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Call the warranty provider - You'll know pretty quickly if there is any merit going down the warranty route.

If not, then I can give you some comfort from my experience with replacement via insurance (Autoglass) having had to pay the excess (£75, i think).

They had to order it in and also refused to do it 'on the drive' and insisted I took it to one of their centres (Sheffield). They did a great job.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

This zagaboo.

Bmw UK say there's no known 'fault' or common failure on the i8 windscreen as I expected.

The extended warranty excludes glass anyway so I'll Just go with autoglass especially as you've had a positive experience with them.

I've booked and appointment for home fitting in a few days but expecting a phone call saying the glass is on back order and I'll have to take it into the depot anyway!
Appreciate 0